Flashers for Meat ???

Next season I want to learn to run Familiar bite with flashers, I think I've missed out on some bites a few times when I had a decent day but other guys had good days. I've been mainly running spin doc and fly programs along with spoons i the spread but want to expand my arsonal knowledge.

What brand, style and size are you guys running with your meat rigs and maybe some colors.

I've heard good things about Captain John King's flashers. I have seen alot of guys running 8 inch Pro trolls with them as well. Maybe some info on bait heads as well. I fish out of Wilson/Olcott mainly. You guys running them in the spring as well?

Any input on this topic would be appreciated as I don't know all that much.

My favorite flashers for meat are the Salmon Slashers and the Oki Kingfishers, they are the fish shaped 13" long ones. Some of my best colors are the Froggy Glow, Chartruese Glow, and the Golden Retreiver. All but one of the 30 lb. fish caught off our boat was on these flashers with Atomik 3 Fly Meat rigs.

Burt

regular bait heads will work fine if you know how the roll needs adjustment but it can be a pain if your new to the deal. the roller style bait holders work great all the time but cannot be adjusted for fish mood soo.... make your choice there, but as for flashers it matters not the combination, but what the fish want THAT particular day. it could be an orange r&r 8 inch skate board with 33 inches of leader or it could be green protroll 11 inch with 70 inches of leader or 20 inches of leader ooooorrrr red bait head oooorrrrr blue spin doctor with green bait head with 40 inches of leader. get the picture??? buy em all and try em all. tie up some leaders of different lengths and go from there. my tackle box looks rediculios and so should yours. once you find what works for YOU, sell the ones that didnt work to me. ;)

The first rod & deepest rod I put down always has an 11" Hot Spot Bullfrog & meat. I've always used the Hot Spot Rollerbaiter for a bait holder. You don't have to worry about getting the right roll because they have a built ion rudder that does the trick. Very rarely have I ever taken off the Bullfrog. The second deepest rod I use meat again behind an 11" Hot Spot White Lightning flasher. When the sun comes up I may change that over to an 11" clear Stealth UV Hot Spot & meat. They're always on my deepest rods. I'll run an 8" & fly above them.

Although I don't run meat very often, I have good results with the Salmon Slashers as well. Flys will produce off those Slashers also. Two seasons ago an NK Die Hard run 4 foot in back of a Golden Retreiver was a good producer for me. Last season it didn't do as good.

Sorry I can't think of the name of the bait heads but usually I'll run a 3 fly rig. Twinky rigs maybe?

Glen

This past summer, I ran FB behind 11" prochips. I took fish equally on the green flasher and white flasher. They were 36" leads to a plain glow green head. I tried a couple colors of salmon slashers but they just didn't seem to be on when I was fishing meat. This summer was the first that I tried running meat.

meat is a pain in the ass and my boat stinks like herring but if you wanna catch more salmon you gotta try all kinds of stuff to see what works on your boat. experiment. if it dont work the first time try some other combo. everyone told me to use green and wait. it works but i tried experimenting and found other things that work even better for me.

• 4 weeks later...

K Gonefishin; We ran meat last year for the first time in a while and did well. We ran it very similar to Blue Knight. Deepest rod right above our probe anywhere from 43-49 degrees.

What port out of Cleveland to you launch? When we launch from the Cleveland area we will use Scenic Park out of the Rock, or Edgewater.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey K, Meat is simple and we make good stuff, give it a look. Colors are paired up nice on these the clear blades ar UV so fish see them from a distance and we do offer more rigs on thee on the web site. The blue glows were awesome last year ( tape looks white ) We are using more of the rubber skirts now and we seem to do better as they add a lot of flash and action. Owner hooks and if you want to talk about it feel free to call anytime,,BW 616 233 0618

http://shop.bigweeniebrand.com/category ... egoryId=48

On the north shore, Spin Doctors are the most popular by far. We use a 10 in. off the riggers, 8 in. for dipsys. We use MCRockets, an artificial, glow in the dark, 100% tuneable herring strip with a 3 fly rig. Due to the drag of the setup, some flashers will not rotate, but act more like a dodger. The spin doctors always rotate as you can see in the video section of mcrocket.com If they work that well on the north shore, they should work equally as well on the south shore

A good thing to know about Hot Spot flashers is they are the only flasher that can change direction of rotation. If anything that causes a fish to strike it's a change of speed or direction. Hey 90 per cent of the commercial fleet from Alaska to California use them. But there again everyone to their own opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried taking pics of mine but couldn't get the pics to come out good with the reflection of the flash of the camera. Here's a few commercial pics though.

Golden Retriever This is an Oki Kingfisher II (salmon slasher)

2zUVS.jpg

Blue Angel This is a Hot Spot

vfcuS.jpg

Mine are both salmon slashers

Here's the Hot Spot Bullfrog that Blue Knight mentioned.

2AxQ9.jpg

I think Cannonball Runner had some of these for sale "Big Flashers"

• 5 months later...

i am no pro but when those big kings stop hitting flasher/flys and the spoon bite isnt where it should be ,try a sushie fly, i run it behind a pro troll 8'' or a 8'' spin doctor, all you have to do is retie a tournament fly rig by dropping that treble back a inch and half and installing a .020'' brass wire thru the eye in the beak hook and tying your knot on top of it. that wire wraps your 2 and half inch familiar bite or hearing strip cut in a diamond shape with nose of the bait with a 3/8 inch nose and the rear with a 1/2 inch rear, remember you are still running the skirt from the fly, with this rig it gives it the added smell and body that makes it a little more interesting, i do run a average 20'' leader that gives it the action that is needed