no deer in ny

salmonbound1

well we can say thanks to all farmer and there 20 30 permit for the deer being gone in ny i ve talk to diffrent hunter threw n y and there all saying were all the deer they are not around and if they are on the move it around 1100 pm or 300 am i ve talk to bow hunter gun hunter the state of n y should wake and see what there doing to are deer hunting they should follow ohio know there deer out there plus monster buck out there they should follow there outline of hunting bow season oct threw feburary shot gun 1 week then wait 2 week then a sat and sunday then 4 day muzzleloader then maybe n y could have monster buck here nottttttttttttttttt

He must be. Everyone I've spoken to has had a great year. The weather was fantastic during bow season, the rut raged for about three weeks, and this snow has made the late season with the smokepoles interesting.

New York state has its share of trophies, but frankly the potential for routinely enormous racks like you see in the Midwest just doesn't exist here. A 140 inch spread is the deer of a lifetime for most Empire state hunters (including me). And that's okay. You've just got to gauge your expectations to the area we hunt; sure doesn't make it any less fun.

Probably the best way to tell the population of the herd is to look at the number of deer-car accidents in any given area :)

well after 40 years huntin the same 3 spots its a fer shure the herd is way down ,,yes cars take there share but have ya noticed how many more deer get hit latley?? then in a day the carcase is gone.hmm,also when is the last time ya seen 1 doe just wandering alone eating???hmmmmm,yesterday in one of my honey holes i saw 14 doe,and 2 bucks 4 and a 8pt.to get to this spot you have to cross a river by canoe,hike about 1 hr straight up to get to this spot,to do this i put all my jackets in a backpack and spare shirt by the time i get to the top im totally soaked even 35 lbs lighter ,and thats going slower than normal speed trying to be a little quiet....today i sat from dark to dark cept for a get down stalk to warm up a bit about noon ,i saw 4 doe down over the hill feeding,then i went back to the oaks 80 yds the other way from my stand to see if the deer were in their at all last nite,,well i found 5 huge sets of tracks and 3 smaller sets ................ all coyotes trust me their ant another hunter dumb enuf to go through what i have to to get to that spot and the lack of hunter tracks in the snow prove it,, it is with 100% cerenty that the dogs are putting a major hurtin on the deer , now bobcats (big ones) are a common track to find also, this is just 1 pack in 1 area i bet they go through a deer every 2 or 3 days in this cold weather,,call me nuts ,dig deep and find reports from the dec that coyotes dont pack up,,try to convince me that they dont hunt the deer along roads where the deer are forced from the big woods for safty, also have ya noticed the rise in urban deer latley,,,???? im shure the 60 permits a year the farm at the bottom of the hill is issued has its impack but before the dogs arrived in numbers the herd was still ok in fact there were lots of bucks in those woods ,,this year i havent seen 10 diff bucks,havent seen any limping deer (other than the day it was hit)..tha farmers do there part with good cause fig 100 deer at 5 lbs of corn a day and there profits on the corn shrinks every day...From some one who spends 40 pluss days a year in the woods hunting their is a lot more killin the deer than the average hunter sees.

Ray, you make a good point about urban deer, they adapt very easily in an urban setting. In NJ, without and natural predation the deer multiply like rabbits. All you have to do is look at the liberal deer seasons and see a deer a day can be taken in NJ from sept to feburary and every year the herd is stable and plentyful. With most hunters paying attention to conservation and trophy management, bigger bucks are being taken all the time. Also winter kill is practically non existent.

So i would guess if your in a rural setting where there was a coyote problem, along with winter kill and farmer permits, things could get tough in a certain area and maybe not another.

BTW, last week I saw a road kill in secaucus NJ about 1 mile from the lincoln tunnel, now thats urban.

Must be conditions are different in different areas of NY(which makes sense) but around here every year has seemed roughly the same for the last 20+ years. I have heard guys complain about "where's all the deer" for as long as I can remember. The one thing that is true around me is that there is less ground in active ag every year so this effectively spreads the deer out over more cover. That's one big difference between here and the midwest; when you have lots of active open ag land and relatively small pieces of interspersed cover the deer are much more concentrated and easier to find. When you combine this fact w/ far lower hunting pressure due to fewer urban and suburban areas w/ lots of people and then throw in a land ownership structure wherein relatively few people control very large tracts of hunting land you have a very different hunting environment than we have around me anyway.

Just one other thing; Just because a farm gets nuisance permits doesn't mean they get filled! I've been "invited" over to several "deer kills" at various other farms numerous times and the number of deer actually shot has always been very, very small compared to the amount of education the deer got and will use to avoid being killed in the future.

The referral to urban deer is that they are pushed from the big woods nearer to populated areas ,thats why some who hunt less remote areas see more deer. the 228 valley in odessa ny has a heard of deer so small and spooky a friend of mine who hunts nearly every day has not filled any of his tags ,tho he did let 9 bucks walk in bow season,,so again their there but very,very,sparce and the dog tracks are everywhere in that valley,,,today their is several "lost dogs" in the local paper , a coon hound or beagle was the norm in the past but now ,lots of people are posting "lost dogs"and cats. ...and their not the hunting breeds. I miss the days of watching deer wander without a care other than hunters, I could of shot many deer this year so its not that i dont see them , its just the challange of the big one,and the time spent alone in the woods with my "brothern bear" ..........and chipmonks.

As I type this I am looking at 4 healthy deer laying in my backyard in Brighton just off Elmwood Avenue.Whatever gets them out in the wild has not yet reached the suburbs.

Me thinks that the first sightings of Coyote in our suburbs is not far off.They will probably bring rabies and attacks on pets,maybe even small children.Let's hope that Coyote hunting will be promoted before coyote poisoning is needed.

Hey rolmops, I've seem yots on441 Lindon ave and on 65 south of Elmwood and on Wenton south of Elmwood. There in there. I had a good bow season, saw plenty deer,then the gun season opened,I didn't see any deer till the temp.dropped they need to feed to keep warm. There in the soybeans and corn big time.saw 9 friday after noon and all most hit one on the way home that night, miss by about 6" I need a faster truck LoL. I did fill a tag sat.afternoon. If you don't see them it's because they saw you first.Then there's the cloking deivce theory,you can see there tracks but you can't see them 8) . Merry Christmas everyone.

I could tell you from experience from hunting in NJ for 35 years, we have a large healthy herd and all you need is an acre or two between homes, and the ability for deer to move freely around them, and you have perfect deer habitat. The one thing that is consistant with taking large deer (p&y) is that usually they are taken in that type of a setting. I believe that with the lack of pressure, and the deers ability to identify a safe haven (around homes) and they adapt very quickly, and grow big. By far the biggest problem in NJ is car/deer collisions.

This past year the state allowed crossbows as well as allowing bow hunters to hunt within 150 feet of a occupied dwelling (it used to be 450) and sunday bow hunting.

BTW,the bear population has exploded in some areas and the bears have also adapted to the urban setting.

OOOPS...forgot to compliment you on writing the longest continuous sentence in LOU history! :beer::clap:

And while I'm at it.....Ohio does not have anything that NY doesn't. You just need to find a better spot Bob. There were only 2 deer left in Ohio after the rut this November anyway. Melissa killed one and here is the other one. LOLOL THERE.....I just saved my dyslexic little buddy a trip all the way to Ohio. :yes:

100_1326.jpg

Deer adapt to every situation in their environment ,ya just have to throw them a curve ball once in a while . I hunt in wmu 3k in sullivan county -no agriculture i have to rely on mast crops which was scarce this year.It's all big woods with patches of laurel and blow downs some years i dont see hardly any and others i see them all day long,mostly depends on pressure from other property's. I go in at dark and i don't leave till dark sitting in the same place all day long .After the first day i take different routes to my stand cause i know they are in there and dont want to have them get used to MY travel patterns. Just my .02

Thanks Melissa. Saw yours on Facebook---GREAT first buck! Its all down hill from here, ya know? :o

SEE BOB.....there are NO deer left in NY. You might as well take up racket ball. That would be a great game for you----you lock up a little ball in a room and then beat the snot out of it! Its a great stress release----and it can't get away! :lol:

You should sell your guns and bows. What do you have anyway? My wife wants to take up bowhunting (because there are no deer) and I've got a kid that'll be ready in a few years. Let me know.

I have to agree with the deer herd being down in NY. I dont care what anyone says those damn coyotes take a toll on the fawns in the spring. Every year it gets worse. I hunt primo private acreage surrounded by good crops planted and natural. I did manage to kill a good buck. I bet I didnt see ten deer all season. :no:

you might have to worry about coyotes in brighton at some point but i doubt you'll have to ever worry about nuicance permits. i beleive they are what ruined my property for hunting this fall. it's not what i would call urban or even suburban but it is far from the big woods. doesn't take alot of permits to have a big impact on the hunting in this type of envirenment even if there isn't a large number killed. the rest are educated and move out before the season starts. i don't doubt they are justified in some areas but beleive the d.e.c. is also clueless in others, possibly due to the lack of resources (manpower) to adequetely regulate the true impact between the damage and deer population and the outcome it will have on the hunters on the surrounding properties. just my opinion. i also hunt the southern tier and this yr. was about avg. if not a bit better than the past few yrs. so i guess it's all about where you're hunting and a small change in the activity in your area can make a HUUUGE difference.

How about the lack of hunting pressure on surrounding properties? There is a ton of ground out there that very rarely gets hunted. I hunt property that has a good amount of hunting pressure on it and the deer simply move off it and go where the pressure is less. Spot light the fields at night, there are a lot of deer around.

I will agree that the yotes put a hurting on the deer herd (fawns), but I think they are making up for what is not being killed anymore by the hunter. I have seen many yote tracks, but rarely any that lead to deer carcases.

Hard to believe all the deer in ny are gone. I have hunted thr same property for about 25 years now in NY and the deer are there. some days i saw deer some days i didnt. the weather the last couple of years has played a big role in the movement of the deer but i still have seen my share. saw large groups of them the begining of bow season then it trickled off durring the begining of shot gun. withe the colder weather the deer are moving again saw eight nice deer last night and there are lots of signs they are gonna be in the area for awhile. there are big ones out there just have to find them.

The deer herd may be down in New York BUT believe me there are more deer in NY

than we have here in Northeast Pa. I've seen far more deer in NY than Pa. We have various things to thank for the decline in the deer population down here such as coyotes,

bobcats, bears, vehicles and the elusive Mountain Lions that the game commission says

are not here.(excuse me they didn't say they're not here, we don't have a breeding population) As little as 10 years ago you used to be able to see herds of 20 or more deer in the fields at the base of some of the mountains around here, not any more, your

lucky to see 2 or 3 in a few days of hunting. Of course the enourmous amount of antlerless tags issued doesn't help either. Don't get me wrong we do have deer, just not like years ago in this area. As of what I've seen the last few years in NY, most places up there are somewhat like it used to be down here. But the way things work New Yorks deer herd is probably headed in the same direction.

Splitshot115

Time out, i completely agree with you. where we hunt its the same situation, deer for the first few days then they move into the blocks that dont get hunted. and it seems like every year there is less and less people out to move the deer around. it stinks when you put the miles on all day long for maybe 1deer and then see 10 of them standing out in a field where 1 guy has exclusive permission and he's home watching football or christmas shopping :@ and as far as the coyotes go i didnt think much of only seeing/killing bucks and big does till the snow fell and there was devil dog tracks EVERYWHERE!! i think they must have fiested on the fawns in the spring because all my family got this year was bucks and big fat swamp donkeys...thats a good thing but ususally there is at least a couple skippers that get shot on "accident". here's one i slayed yesterday

AH3W9.jpg

Come on guys, have a nice hunk of cheese with that whine. I hear the same thing most ever year. You think it's bad now you better hope they don't open black power the week before gun season.That all right with me It will get the fair weather hunters out of the wood sooner, the real hunting starts at the end of gun season 8) .

this is just my opinion so I hope that I don't affend anyone. I hunt in three areas. the 1st in gorham, ny. My family has owned a 140 acre farm that i have hunted my whole life. in the past 5 years the deer herd is WAY down. we used to see 10-15 deer a day bow hunting and the same on openeing day of gun season. this year I saw 1 6pt, 1 4pt and 6 does the whole season there. we have a local guy who hunts the coyotes heavy. (killed around 40 dogs last year in this area) so i know we have a dog problem but at lease someone is doing something about it. he also said he checked the a few of the females for how many pups they had, and not one had less than 8 pups in her, scary! but i still fell the main problem in this area and many areas in 8J is we have lots of horse and buggy families with lots of kids and LOTS of tags. If i remember right, these families came from PA where there herd is in terrible shape. don't get me wrong, they are nice people, but they kill alot of deer and not just during the season. I also hunt in middlesex. there are more deer then gorham but still not like it use to be, and there are way coyotes then in gorham. at least the tracks in the woods tells me so. the last place i hunt is in Monterey on state land. we have had a camp there for about 15 years. also in the past 5 years the hunting has seriously declined. our camp of about 10 hunters harvested just 4 does. but the coyotes are everywhere. I was down there last weekend and i have never seen so many coyotes tracks. everywhere we went the dog tracks out number the deer tracks about 3 to 1. it was very depressing seeing so many dog tracks. all in all the coyotes are doing more damage than people think, and with the number of pups they have its only going to get worst fast!