mini 14

kingslamon22

got brand new stainless mini 14 for some coyote hunting. never knew anyone who had one and after i bought it, people say its no good. i dont see anything wrong with it. i shot it a few times the day i bought it and is a hoot. i want to know what the big deal is. why would somebody recomend a sks over a ruger???????? i thought it was a m-14 made by ruger on 5.56 ammo. what seems to be the problem. the m-14 had its killing time. id like another outside opinion from some of you guys.

ruger's mini 14 is a fine piece of work it's action is modeled after the m14 of military fame. the only thing to watch out for is hand loads that are not the proper oal overall length as this will jam the piece also make sure the brass is crimped to the bullet other than that i have fired quite a few round thru mine in the years enjoy maybe the sks are cheaper they do produce good groups if not fired with only full metal jacketed bullets that are hot loaded

I have a Ruger mini 14 and love it.. great gun, and virtually no maitnence...They are not a long range .223 though... I added an accurized Rock River AR-15 to the arsenal recently for that :devil:

pm me if you have any questions about the gun... i know of alot of options for it, if you do want to accurize it.

• 3 weeks later...

My Mini-30 will steadily climb after the 3-4 round, as the barrel heat affects the accuracy. Let it cool to off(not that it gets really hot)to about the air temp, and bingo, right back on at 100 yards.

In spite of that trait,(which can be corrected) those are good firearms.

Dear KS22,

You own a fine weapon (S.S. Ruger). It will function well if the ammunition is manufactured or reloaded properly as previous posters have stated. Cheap China mfg. ammo will jam and perform poorly. Clean the weapon after each use. Different types of powder cause noticeable changes in performance and fouling! Read and understand some of the info on various websites about the firearm. Most complaints about operation can be traced back to the ammo used. Crimped ammo is mandatory in any semi-automatic rifle. ......History......This S.S. rifle was almost canceled by Ruger in the early 1980,s Ruger placed a one month Ad in a large boating magazine.ONE MONTH! The demand went crazy and I couldn't get one any where in the US. A fine rifle made by a USA gun manufacturer.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jet Boat Bill