EPIRB's

Misty IV

In between relatives coming over today, I was thumbing through some back issues of fishing magazines and came across one article on EPIRBs. The article said they aren't very popular on the Great Lakes, but some people won't leave the dock without one. I know they aren't cheap, and for weekend warriors, many can't justify the cost of a unit for the time they are on the water. Does anyone here carry one onboard their boat, or do most of you have a VHF radio with the DSC built-in for emergency use? Just curious.

EPIRB, VHF, cell phone, flares, horn, and a mirror. The $750 for the EPIRB won't be justified until i'm floatin in cold water and the coasties are comin to pull my sorry as out of the water. IMHO. I purchased it after I read a story a couple years ago where a 34 or 36 ft charter on Lake Michigan got caught in a bad T storn and got swamped. All six people were pulled from the water by the coasties with little time to spare. The EPIRB was activated before they hit the water. Ya never know.

I cross Lake Ontario quite often and in doing so spend a lot of time without sight of land or other vessels. I do have DSC on my VHF which runs off the GPS which runs off the battery. Now what happens if I lose power to my gear. Or what happens if either the VHF or the GPS fail in high seas and I end up in the water. The answer...I'm screwed without a PPERB. When crossing the pond you should always wear a life jacket and have an attached PPERB and preferable other survival gear as well. The incredible vast majority of fatalities at sea occur to people not wearing life jackets. Complacency breeds contempt.

Tall tails - with all due respect, I don' think your statement is accurate r/e DSC support on the Great Lakes.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm quite sure the Coast Guard has the appropriate technology to monitor for a distress signal sent from an EPIRB.

However, I believe in 2007, they "prohibited" the use of older technology EPIRB's (i.e Cat. A, B and S) b/c there was too many false alarms. However, a Category I/II (406 mHz) or Class C EPIRB is still supported. I'm not sure how to contact the local Coast Guard to see if this is true or not.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it would be unfortunate if someone did not want to purchase one of these units b/c of a "rumor" that they weren't supported on the Gr. Lakes.

- Chris

Momay4000,

Sorry if my post was mis construde, I know they have EPIRB capability but I thought we were discussing the DSC function on a Marine side band radio. From what I have read the Coast Guard does not yet have the DSC capapabilty on the Great Lakes.

I guess my recommendation would be to own an EPIRB as that technology is already in place.

I will look into the DSC capability and try and report back any findings.

Tall tails - my apologies - I thought it was in the context of an EPIRB.

Thanks for clarifying - the DSC function on the VHF might not be supported for the same reason as the older model EPIRB's(too many false alarms)

Thanks - please accept my apology,

- Chris

I wont be busting anyones balls about docking their boat until I get mine down to a science. I provided some good dock entertainment backing my tub in last year. I lost reverse due to a linkage adjustment in my starboard engine, so backing a twin with one engine in reverse can be comical with a breeze. We will have plenty of bumpers "out" when Jim pulls his in for the first time however. :D

I wont be busting anyones balls about docking their boat until I get mine down to a science. I provided some good dock entertainment backing my tub in last year. I lost reverse due to a linkage adjustment in my starboard engine, so backing a twin with one engine in reverse can be comical with a breeze. We will have plenty of bumpers "out" when Jim pulls his in for the first time however. :D

Comical, thats an understatement :lol: I will withhold further comment :beer::beer: