suggestions for a good coyote gun

Concerning the choice of the .308 caliber, I was referencing the all purpose capability one will have in that caliber. Lets face it...any projectile coming out of the barrel over 3000 fps is gonna kill at long range. My experience with my Savage model 12 in 22-250 is that the pelt gets way too much damage under 200 yards using any form projectile.

The match grade bullets have a great ballistic coefficient that carries as much accuracy down range as any caliber but the beginning starts with the shooter at the range.

As stated earlier if you want to just kill something and not worry about the pelt being worth anything, you can carry your 12 guage and kill very effective at the 22 WMR RANGE of 110 yards.

My point was directed to those who have a good shooting deer rifle, can handload, or know someone competant who can that can work up a load at the range...it can double as a varmint killer without the investment of a new gun and who want a pelt to sell. The fmj placed in the thorax of a varmint at short or long range is gonna take him down no matter if it is 50 yards or 500 yards and there is still a pelt left to sell. Now for those who want to buy a new varmint toy ...panther arms clambered in the 6.5 creedmoor, topped with a very nice mil dot tactical glass.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I thought I'd start hunting Dogs about 5yrs ago, so I dug out my old trusty 218 Bee, I hadn't fired it since the early 60s. It was a great chuck gun,a friend loaded some shells for me with 22 hornet 45gr soft points.That little pill wouldn't go through a chucks head,but it would expload inside and it would be nothing but mush. So I went down to Gander to buy a box of shells, OMG :o $80 bucks a box. I couldn't afford to sight it in. So much for dog hunting. :( .

Probably the best yote gun out there is an m-134!

Jeez Rob I'm sure it definitely cut's down on the importance of shot placement but it must be a little rough on the hide! :D:D

Also; Mark, you & I are actually saying the same thing, the only difference is that I was addressing a more general audience, figuring that if the original poster was already a highly experienced large caliber marksman he wouldn't need the help of a bunch of guys on a fishing forum to pick out a firearm. No offense intended. Peace Bro -Andy

• 3 weeks later...

We have a Bushmaster/AR-15 platform, set up for the coyotes.

3-9 Nikon, raised cheekpiece, and a Harris bi-pod. Works well, but have a Savage chambered in .17 HMR, with a 3-9 Burris, and a Savage .22 Magnum/3-9 Bushnell too.

The Savage .17 is a screamin' tack-driver, as already mentioned, and is the most accurate of the 3, but have killed 'em dead with all 3.

If I was to keep only 1, then the Bushmaster would be it.

• 10 months later...

Dont bother with a 17 its not enough gun.22 mag will get the job done if they are within 75 to 100 yrds.I highly reccomend the 22 250 it will put them down at 300 plus yrds and does minimal hide damage with a 45 grain bullet Go with a 55 grain if your not concearned with pelt damage. 22 250 is a great all purpouse gun I like to say if i can see it i can kill it with my 22 250

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but thought I wondered how many guys are hunting yotes regularly with hounds or calling. I started hunting them in 92 and most people didn't know they existed then. Wow have they taken off. Used to be if your group got 10 a year in the southern tier you were doing great, now if a group doesn't get 12 a week its a slow week. Seems like the more you shoot the more there is, and ive read they throw bigger litters if the population gets stressed. Wish we had an open season on em as deer season lasts longer than yote season for houndsmen! I like the long deer season just hate waiting to run my dog and im not a big fan of to much time running in pens.

justin

If you don't choose rimfire, get one anyways. In NY you can not use a centerfire rifle for varmints during ANY open deer season. So from Oct 1- dec 19 or so, you have to use a rimfire or shot gun only. A 17 HMR will drop a yote with a well placed shot. Under 50 yrds a heart lung shot will down him, but he will run and blood may be hard to spot. I go for the neck or head always with the 17. With right scope, very accurate out to 150 and even 200. 3 in drift at 100 with 10mph cross breeze. Also keep barrel clean, fouling will affect accuracy, and fouling starts quickly with a rimfire. 20grn hollow point the best. remember fox when skinned are as skinny as a small cat, shoot slightly higher then center body. I agree that for fox, 17, 22 mag or shotgun. They usually come right in for close shots and anything bigger will make a large hole. Never tried a FMJ with larger cal, but if you hit shoulder or back bone I think it will make somewhat of a mess out of the fur.

During rifle season if you live where their is one you can use a centerfire at night. We dont predator hunt much till after season anyways as it only causes problems, and you cant run hounds. We shot many coyotes with a 17 out to 200 if its not windy. Of course i dont have to track them we have dogs, but i have dropped many...

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow!!!!  I can't believe this thread is still going!  lol!!  I started it in 2009!  UPDATE........ In 2010 I got  .17 HMR from a local gun show.(affordable at the time) Worked well on yotes that were close. Under 100 yards. As long as my shot placement was good they went down after a short run. I believe I was using Hornady rounds. 25 grain. Just not enough. So in 2012 I upgraded to a .223 Remington varmint model with the 26' bull barrel. Awesome rifle! she is sighted in to 200 yards right now and as long as I'm steady I can hit a Quarter at 200 yards. (at the range) I'm using 55 grain Hornady zombie rounds. I dropped a few dogs this past winter in there tracks! I did however have two run away with one or two rounds in them. (spent hours tracking them to no avail) Obviously a poor shot placement. Freezing cold, night time, tired, did I mention cold? LOL. These canines can be tough. Anyway thanks for all the good info and incite into the sport. I'm looking forward to this years season.

• 1 month later...

For those imterested Olympia arms is making an ar platfrom style rifle in 22-250.  Also, the one thing I have seen mentioned in load selection is the rate of twist in your barrel.  If its a slower twist it will generally oerform better with a lighter projectile.  I have a heavy barrel thumbhole Howa 1500 and it shot poorly with a  50gr or heavier bullet.  But, when I tried the 40 gr Hornady V-max it put 4 shots in a bottle top at 200 yds.

Whatever you choose, experiment with your ammo until you are happy with the performance.  No matter what yiou are chasing!! Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

OK I'll keep this going a bit more. I didn't see it mentioned I use a 25-06 for yotes ina solid point and positive expanding point for chucks. My son has used it on dear since he borrowed it about 20 years ago :thinking: . This is by far the best long distance gun I have ever had. For up close a Savage 22 hornet over a 12 ga. with tubes. Also good for Turkeys.

My son and i both have 25 wssm's for long range on yotes and deer topped with busnell 6500's 4.5 - 30 x 50 with tactical turrets. Exact same ballistics as your 25.06 in a short action. Effective to 500-600 yds...we shoot big 24"balloons out to 1000yds.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 months later...

i couldnt hold my tounge back after seeing that somebody else already posted  it...25-06 for a one gun guy.  i have 31 rifles and load for em all and i always grab that dang 25-06.  ever since i got one 25-06, its been all over but the killin.  feel like im holdin luke skywalker lazer beam.  pull the trigger and the lights go out.  the incredible smack they make on game is telltale of caliber.  is the loudest shocking round ive used on game and penetration is over 40 inches of deer.   i use 100 grain hornady spire points not that that matters to anybody.

I have .222, Finding shells is easy you just need to go to a gun shop they generally always stock them.  I buy 2 to 3 boxes at a time so I have a large stock of them.  Also if you reload .222 is a great round because you can experiment with loads and bullet weights.

My gun is a CZ 527 love the gun and is super accurate with all bullet weights.  Only bad thing is the follow up shot takes a second being bolt action if you need one.

.243 is too large in my opinion on coyotes unless you already have one then use it.

.17 wsm is deadly, more accurate, less wind drift, and hits harder than the .17hmr. with the 25 grain high energy rounds it will impress you. i crack yotes heads like cantelopes at 150 yds

• 4 months later...