Boat Dilemma

Chinook FE

I have a chance to buy a 2004 Striper 2101 WA loaded, set up for downrigging, 2 scottys, kicker. Problem is it is in Maryland (saltwater) he says he cleans it all the time. I'm a little hesitant because of the salt water issue, but the boat looks mint and could get a good deal. Any thoughts would be great, my wife even likes it.

there are professional people who do "survays" (inspections) of boats ,if i were to buy without id look in every crack and crevis with a good flashlight ,check backside of all axcessable elect panels,bring a inspection mirror,check operation of all elect. assys.do a online search for reviews on year and model, id even contact mfg to ask if any problems have "poped up" on this model and what to look for as far as salt water issues. the internet is your best tool to get your ducks in a row before taking second look............. dont let your heart get in front of your wallet or mind. a can of wax can transform the outside but a good service record can tell ya what kind of owner had the boat....

In salt water especially, a professional survey is a must regardless of the age of the boat. As said above, a can of wax & some elbow grease will make anything look presentable on the outside. A survey & service records from the owner will tell the rest.

My brother in law bought a 98 Striper salt water boat and the only issues we had was to change all the valves and pumps. The wash down pump worked well but the live well and bilge pump were shot. The hardtop frame was slightly pitted from salt exposure but not to the point of any structural damage. This boat had however sat unused for a few years and was never left in the water or the direct sun. The wiring was fine. The trailer required all new bearings, brakes, actuator and lines. This Striper was and outboard. I'm sure a IO would have more salt damage if not properly cleaned after each use. I believe that it's condition would depend more on how the boat was stored and maintained.

High Bidder

i have been on 2 stripers and i love them. seaswirl knows how to set em up but on the 2101 center console, the entire console came loose while coming home in 4 foot waves on oneida lake. boat was handling rough water fine then the console started to pick up while the boat was falling off the crest. costed him lots to fix. never did find out exactly what happened. never the less, boat is flawless again. the other is a 26 footer for lake ontario that my uncle owns and its a real lake tamer. absolutly love it over my trophy.