Simrad AP12R Autopilot

Ricbme

I have an '08 Trophy 2152 (21 ft) and could not fit the Simrad in the helm. I did extensive research on these autopilots for my Trophy and the support is lacking. Thus I went with the Raymarine X-5 sport (which mounts externally) and I love it.

Just my $0.02

I have one in my Starcraft Islander and it's an excellent unit, I think the helm component is a heavier duty unit than the Raymarine, and it does take up some space behind the dash. More problematic is the fact that Navico's idea of customer support leaves a lot to be desired. If you need Tech support, or worse yet have a warranty claim, you might be up the creek for awhile.

Thanks for the info. My Trophy is a 2001 with a hardtop. I put a new E-Tec on 2 years back and do not have hydraulic steering so I hope that means I have rotary steering as L&M said. I have plenty of room under the dash, but I better take a tape measure out to be sure. Any other help or info would be great. Thanks

Get the AP14R version, in my opinion its worth the extra money for the display.

I used to have a Raymarine Sport Pilot, the Simrad holds a better course and not as noisy.

It does however require ~ 11" behind the dash and a rotary cable as others have mentioned. I didn't have the room either, I cut a 8" hole in the bulkhead to mount it.

Do a search for Simrad AP14R to get the installation instructions, they have the cable number required listed in the instructions. You just need to find your cable number to get the length.

jcridge,

Would you be able to post some pics of your install? I've got the soft top model of the 225 and would like to see your modifications because I would like to get the AP14r also. It'll probably help others with boats with less space under the helm also. It'll be replacing my junk sport pilot too.

Thanks,

Attached are a few photos showing the AP14R setup on our 225.

Bulkhead has a factory access panel which needed to be modified with an 8" cutout. I plan to make a larger cover to finish up installation this winter.

NMEA connection between the GPS and AP is shown with wiring colors for SIMRAD and LOWRANCE.

The remote can be removed at the twist lock connection if desired, you would never know the boat had an AP. I mounted the remote at the helm, you can mount it almost anywhere in the cockpit as the connection wire is at least 15'. The coiled cord will give me enough to reach to the back of the hardtop if I would need. We typically setup a course for trolling and never really need to mess with it. The AP is tied to the GPS for course plotting.

The black box mounted to the bulkhead is the wiring tie-in box for the remote, compass and helm unit. No soldering required.

SIMRAD AP14 helm was a direct replacement for the 225 rotary helm, so installation was shamefully easy.

The 2nd to last picture is my son the at the helm coming back on 12/20, it was quite cold that day, but well worth it. We had apple smoked trout for Christmas...

The only thing not shown is the AP compass unit , which is mounted on the centerline in the forward V-berth compartment. We have had good luck with this placement as it is low as possible for less roll effect and although its further forward then I would like it is level when it counts ( trolling and on-plane at speed)

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know. I did this type of work for over 25 years and still enjoy it for the most part...

I think this should be moved to THIS OLD BOAT???

John

YGF_i.jpg

L3yhJ.jpg

L3Igi.jpg

YGSt0.jpg

1DURnA.jpg

1DV7QA.jpg

1E0qri.jpg

1E1ijr.jpg

John

I have a PY 255 that has rotary cable with power steering. I plan on installing a kicker and an EZ steer connection and was wondering if you think the AP14r would handle steering the kicker if the main motor is not running (no power steering)?

Was also curious as to how much noise the AP14r generates under the hardtop and in the cuddy?

Plan B would be to spend the bucks and convert to hydraulic

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

Good question on the lack of power assist. I would call Navico to verify, or better yet, call John at Technical Marine Support. This is where at purchased my unit. http://shop.technicalmarine.com/pages/contact/ I would have to say there must be someone on LOU that's done this???

My question to you would be; can the kicker maintain a course with any kind of wind or current? If you need minor course corrections it should be fine, but if it's trying to over compensate all the time, you may not be happy with it.

I run just the main engine at idle, 1.9 - 2MPH is the best I can do. I'm going to look into a trolling plate, socks or the 2 old 5 gallon buckets I have for my smaller boat. I would like to get down to 1.5MPH to have a better range of trolling speeds.

The AP14R is much quieter then the Raymarine units, its quit enough you don't pay much attention to it after awhile. If you can sleep in the V-berth without an AP, you can sleep with the AP14 too...

John

John

Thanks for the input. Hopefully somebody else has tried this and will share their experience.

I'm pretty sure the kicker (T9.9) will handle it Ok except in strong side winds, then I would go back to the main motor and bags or just head in.

I can sleep through most any noise, the real question is if the AP noise would be annoying to my 1st mate? I'm usually in the back of the boat anyway and she's up front reading and relaxing. That's why I need a good AP, promotes marital harmony!

Roy

• 2 months later...

i have a 97 225 outrage ht with a 350 merc. i plan on getting the ap14r as soon as i save enough $. will i need to replace the steering cable? i'm not sure as to which type of steering the boat has(its new to me&in storage right now). also, any suggestions for dealers? prices seem to be pretty much the same everywhere, but customer service is important.

dbutts,

Look at my posts above for the website where I purchased my AP. Just do a search, but like you said customer service is important. Try some of the guys on LOU, they may have units now. When I was looking last year they were few a far between.

The helm is most likely a rotary and the cable will mate right to the AP-14R without adapters.

For questions about the 225, call TJ or visit his website at http://www.pennyanboats.com/

TJ and his family owned the Penn Yan Boat Company and were the designers of the boat you have. He is really a cool person to talk to, amazing details of why and how they built these boats.

John

thanks for all the great info john. this is a major investment for me, and i just want to try to get it right the first time. your info and pictures are helpful, i'm going to attempt the install myself. i will update with my progress.