What would this rod be good for?

Misty IV

I have had a Daiwa rod for some time that I have never put to use. It is a Great Lakes System rod, 2-piece, model # SK 10-105GL. 10.5' long. Also says Noodele Special on it. It has an older Diawa Sealine Great Lakes 47LC linecounter reel on it. I bought it years and years ago when I first started fishing heavy on the lake. Remember the salesman at the store I bought it telling me it was designed for the Great Lakes, but forget what specifically. If it's good for anything, I may add it to the arsenal this year. If not, it'll just go back in storage where I found it.

Ideas or thoughts?

If its the rod I am thinking of its a noodle rod for fishing the river. I believe I had the same model back in the late 80's. I mainly fished egg sacs and flys with it with good sucess. Maybe Erby will chime in on this subject I think he still has his.

Well, I have a place for the 47LC now! New downrigger rod I bought end of the season. Any suggestions on a good reel for this rod? I've never done river fishing before, but would like to try it. A good spinning reel or a casting reel be best?

A Daiwa Exceler spinning reel spooled w/ 6-8lb Pline would turn that rod into a usable float rod for winter steel. A lot of guy's are using longer noodle/float rods these days but that rod should work. Wouldn't be a bad setup for casting sacs & spoons from shore either.Right the way it is, with the 47 on it, it would be a nice rig for flatlining down the chute for browns- you would really get a nice fight out of them w/ it.

The Daiwa Exceler is a great choice. The reel has been given some good reviews. It's priced right too. I have two of them on my noodles, and I think Billy V has one on his noodle rod.

Might I suggest putting a picture of the rod up on here so we can see it?

I have a meeting this evening (leaving in about 30 minutes), but will try to get a picture of it up later tonight when I get back home. I'll check out the Exceler reel. This rod could do double-duty as a chute rod with the 47, and switch reels for stream & river fishing. Hmmm, sounds like a keeper to me!!

You can't go wrong w/ the Excelors. I have 2, use them on float rods for the kids ( I went over to the dark side w/ a centre pin) in the winter and put the other spool they come with on and swap them over to general purpose spinning rods for bass and pickerel fishing in the summer. They are super smooth and have a great drag. I've used my 10'6" float rod to troll a flat line w/ stix and though we didn't get anything spectacular it was still a lot of fun!

Tag,

I used to have one of those, I thought it was a little heavy for stream use, so I used it primarily to pitch spoons off the Olcott Pier in the fall and cought a ton of big kings on it. I'd probably still have it if I wouldn't have closed the car door on it :$:(;(

Tim

Gill-T, the arsenal that is used for spring browns also works well for walleye on Erie! This is the argument that I used when I proposed it to my wife. My wife is awesome, I got 2 17c and ML trolling rods for Christmas. Are you going to fish out of Youngstown again this year?

No need to break the bank for spring trolling! What I have done is bought 6 Eagle claw Starfire ML 8'6" rods ($18/rod) and put my regular season reels (47 accudepths, spooled w/ 30# Ande (flea proof) on these rods. Then I tie my Ande to a spool of 12lb mono w/ an albright and spin on 100' - good to go! If I get all these rigs out on the boards and want to run something on the riggers I use my 2,3, or 4 color rigs.

No need to break the bank for spring trolling! What I have done is bought 6 Eagle claw Starfire ML 8'6" rods ($18/rod) and put my regular season reels (47 accudepths, spooled w/ 30# Ande (flea proof) on these rods. Then I tie my Ande to a spool of 12lb mono w/ an albright and spin on 100' - good to go! If I get all these rigs out on the boards and want to run something on the riggers I use my 2,3, or 4 color rigs.

Same exact trolling rod I use, too! I have (6) of them, as well, and each has a Daiwa SG47LC or LCA reel. (2) of them have to be at least 8 years old and they still do the trick every year. Love the Eagle Claws!