Biggest Steelhead

bmhaynie

My biggest was caught just last week. I was using a chartreuse and white toned jig tipped with waxies, fished under a float. My gear was a 9ft l/m action rod with an Okuma reel spooled with 6# trilene low vis green line and a 6# flouro leader.

FsZgA.jpg

The big boy tipped my scale at just over 16#'s. Didn't get a length as I wanted to get the picture and release it as quickly as possible. Wish I did so that I could get a fiberglass replica of it.

• 2 weeks later...
My biggest was caught just last week. I was using a chartreuse and white toned jig tipped with waxies, fished under a float. My gear was a 9ft l/m action rod with an Okuma reel spooled with 6# trilene low vis green line and a 6# flouro leader.

FsZgA.jpg

The big boy tipped my scale at just over 16#'s. Didn't get a length as I wanted to get the picture and release it as quickly as possible. Wish I did so that I could get a fiberglass replica of it.

Most good taxidermists can get a repro based on the weight and do a good job for you. That's a nice steelie and would look great as a repro. Give me a call if you can't find anyone to do it.

Paul

Here's my best steelhead ever! In 27 years of chartering this is the best steelhead I've ever boated.....by far! It was 22 pound 6 ounces and was 41 inches long. The youngster that caught it did so ALL by himself and was on his first ever trip to Lake O. It was taken on June 30th, 2008 out of the Oak. 70 down over 250 fow on a DW Dave's Salmon Slapper.

224oz.jpg

That is a DANDY Paul.

Nice job. :yes::yes::yes:

Did you do a mount?

Any pictures you could post?

Glen

Believe it or not Glen, that family had NO idea what they had. When I tried to explain it to them they simply said, "But that one is bigger!"---referring to the 25 something king we had in the box as well.

I took measurements of it hoping they would change their mind and I could do a repro for them but I think the price tag scared them off. It was 41 inches long after all....LOL.

I have a blank ready to go and I might paint it up for myself in the near future. If/when I do I will post some pics.

Caught this one with Capt Andy Bliss of Chasin' Tail Adventures last January on the Salmon River. It was one of the coldest days I've ever been fishing. I don't think it ever got above -5 degrees or so. We guesstimated the fish at 18lbs. It was successfully released.

DSC014132.jpg