First King of 2010

Caught this guy on Braddock's today while jigging for perch. He hit a teardrop jig tipped with a spike. :lol:

P1021125.jpg

Seriously, this is my first attempt at a king reproduction. i have been dabbling with fish mounts as a hobby the last few years for friends and family and my uncle wanted a king he caught done. He caught the king in early September, so i tried to capture that pre-spawn coloration phase as they start to stage near the rivers. Still have to work on more spotting of the tail, a light mist here and there of some touch up colors, and then clear coat it.

Ray,

I think that blank was around $200-225.00. They are very detailed fiberglass casts of actual fish. the fins are a flexible molded material as well. You just have to do some touch up sanding on the blank, attach the fins with adhesive/bondo, more light sanding, then they are ready to just shoot (paint with the air brush.)

Cool pic - nice work. I have quite a few fish mounted including four kings. I have no experience with taxidermy myself so I commend you for your efforts.

My only recommendation would be to add some more aggresive teeth. The mouth seems a little "soft" for a king and almost appears more like a steelhead. IMO, the aggresive "teeth" seen on the chinook really set them apart...

Thanks for the pic - great job on your first attempt at a repoduction mount.

- Chris

My only recommendation would be to add some more aggresive teeth. The mouth seems a little "soft" for a king and almost appears more like a steelhead. IMO, the aggresive "teeth" seen on the chinook really set them apart...

Yeah your right. Almost forgot about them. Have a great little trick using caulk that can reproduce those teeth very realistically. Thanks for the feedback.