3 rod rule needs our help

Hi everyone as you know I contacted my senator, regarding the 3 rod rule and now I got this email back. Need you opinions. post them and I will send in to him.

Thanks Greg

Hello, I'm one of the Senator's staff who will be working on the "3-Rod" bill.

I was wondering if you could reply with some points as to why you and your fellow supports feel this should be made into law.

Thank you very much!

Peter C. Morris

Operations Assistant

THOMAS W. LIBOUS

State Senator

1-877-854-2687 Ext. 117

It could help justify the license increase fees, and also what do you think about only for NY resident license holders no out of state?. as there increase was min. This would not affect creel limits but rather the number of hooks and increasing the odds of catching and thereby most would return putting more $ into our local economy.

It could help justify the license increase fees, and also what do you think about only for NY resident license holders no out of state?. as there increase was min.

I truly can't believe you said that. You'd better stick with your day job & apologize to the members that are out of state and have supported Tom's ( Long Line ) original petition on this matter. This is not about where we live, but a common goal for all that fish NY.

WM Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but you can't be serious :headbang: My licence went up 80 % how you can say Min :@ It just shows how much you have kept up on this whole price increase thing :speechless: I don't live in New York but I spend a Sh** load of $$ every time I cross the boarder. I buy all of my Lake O lures from local tack shops to keep the mom and Pop shops going :yes: I hope your happy with your statement because I think it is a slap in the face to all of us out of staters who treat Lake Ontario as if it was in there backyard and who support any programs that would help the fishery. I'm speaking for my self on this but I have a feeling there will be more of us out of staters to come :rofl:

I may be mistaken, but aren't the rest of the great lakes on the 3 rod rule??

Regardless, it will give fishermen and women more opportunities to catch fish, and thereby increasing thier enjoyment of the fishery. If thier enjoyment increases, they'll want to fish more, and spend more money in the local fishing communities along the lake. I'm not a rocket scientist, but to me the math is easy.

And... of coarse out of state fisherman should enjoy the same privilages as resident fisherman. Think about it for minute, lots of us out there are out of state fisherman, and on top of that all the out of state charter clients.

I'm sure this 3 rod rule would be great for our charter captians too. They might even see an increase in bussiness. Perhaps some of the first mates out there will find themselves 33% busier in the back of the boat. LOL

Let's see, all this in one season spent in New York state.

* I just sent my"OUT OF STATE CHECK" to A local NY shop for more than $600.00 for winterizing and shrinking my"OUT OF STATE BOAT".

* I will spend $70.00 for my "OUT OF STATE LICENSE",and friends will spend considerably more on sportsman out of state ones.

* I will spend maybe $500.00 of my"OUT OF STATE MONEY" in local NY tackle shops(the little guys) for spoons,divers,line,etc.

* I will spend at least another $1000.00 of my "OUT OF STATE MONEY" in local NY resturants,and for lodging,dock fees etc.

* I will spend at least a minimum of $800.00 of my"OUT OF STATE MONEY" for fuel in the boat and vehicle,all in NY stores.

* I'll probably spend another $500.00 to $800.00 of my "OUT OF STATE MONEY" on misc.repairs,incidentals,etc in NY stores

I have written as many Senators,Congressmen as most anyone else,in NY explaining that although I am from out of state I believe that a three rod rule would be beneficial in bringing more money and fishermen to the state of NY.

I have made loads of friends in the Olcott area over the last twenty years of fishing lake Ontario,and almost feel like a resident of the state.I have along with my friends from out of state,spent thousands of dollars per year,and thousands upon thousands over the last twenty supporting the small independent Ny businesses that depend on fishing related revenue.

I'm almost willing to say that I might possibly spend more money per year as an out of stater than some residents do,and my money all goes to the little guy,not the big box tackle shops.

I have been very active with emails and letters to Politicians in most of the great lakes states voicing my concern over the Asian carp fiasco that could ruin the fishing as we know it in all the great lakes.

Maybe if that happens,I'll just take all my "OUT OF STATE MONEY",and spend it in the salt water areas of my own state,instead of New York.

The point is, that out of staters spend a huge amount of money in the state of NY and to have a three rod rule for residents only who may spend less that we do is ridiculous.

I am not from out of state, actually grew up on the shores of Lake O, but solely rely on out of state non resident fishermen to make my living and yes, they pay more for licenses and should be allowed and always will be allowed the same rules as residents!

Back to reasons to support the 3 rod rule

1) we are allowed 15 hook points per rod, why not decrease the number of hook points per rod and add another rod per person. 15 is a little excessive for one rod.

2) with the array of ways to present a bait such as planer rods etc that spread our lines it is possible to run upwards of a dozen or more rods off the back of most boats without as much as a tangle and allow the fishermen more opportunity at success

3) The reason behind the 2 rod limit was implied for statewide regulation for reasons that dont realy apply to the great lakes, adding a 3rd rod would not harm the fish or the fishery.

4) many boats are rigged so that a larger spread is easily fished and when there arent enough anglers on board the productivity is much lower, it should be up to the discression of the angler to the number of rods run!

More fish hooked means more fished killed. What happens when the succes rate does not increase when using 3 rods per ? how bout 4? There is every opportunity for Trollers to hook up & with the tech that gets better every year ,I should think that would be enough. If you don't have a full crew, drag someone off the dock to take ,give some poor jetty guy the chance to experience the big lake. And yes our out of state guests should get the same treatment we residents get. Also I should add that how much you choose to spend in pursuit of the fish should have no berring on this issue.

Um....

Nice on the out of state comment- I'll have to remember that when I fork over $75 for my license this year.

I personally think the 2 rod rule is fine. On the O last year- we had a quad hookup with only 2 of us on the boat- 3 kings and a coho. Made for a fun half hour. All 4 made it on the boat, but I don't know what fishing 6 rods would do for us. I don't mind fishing 6 rods when we have 2 of us working the back of the boat- but with just one guy back there running stacking rigs on the riggers and having steel out- it gets pretty crowded pretty quick.

But again- I don't have a problem if guys want to run 3 rods per guy on a boat and can handle the chaos - then have fun.

In NH- the fish/game commission is throwing the idea around of 2 rods per boat (not per guy) to cut back on the catch on the lakes here- the salmon are getting smaller and smaller and the stocked ones are getting injured from hookups and stunting their growth.

-E

Um....

Nice on the out of state comment- I'll have to remember that when I fork over $75 for my license this year.

Ok i am sorry for the out of state remark , I have a personal problem with a few and held it against everyone, I take back my statement.

Dont think too hard

(OK Here GOES) Note I fish mostly by myself, travel 180 miles one way , do this trip every week end from March to October. I live in N.Y.S.

Slip and camper site: $2250

Fuel $2400 for car

boat fuel $1085

stabil $104

tackle shops approx. $700

trailor license $70

Trailor inspection $15

Food eating out $2650

misc expenses $700

Total $$$$$$$9970

Let me catch a few more fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez Rapala,

Did you have to list all that?

Now I'm depressed. :(

What some people just don't get is if most rec guys are on fish and they are having some action 2 rods is plenty and alot of guys would only have 2 per out there. When the fish are scarce and spread out and you got to cover alot of water to find them is when the additional rods would make a trip more enjoyable. I don't buy this "more dead fish" crap one bit. You can do the same thing with 2 rods per man when you go into catch and release mode after the box is full. And if you know what you are doing you can release most fish in good shape. For us, the ones that are in tough shape are the ones that go into the box no matter how many rods out.

Glad I didn't read that out of state thing earlier. LOL

Happy fishing.

Glen

I was going to say something Like that Rapala, Seasonal site, dockage, food enterttainment. Fuel at the marina is a deal at $4.00 gal with a 80 gal tank. about everyother weekend,

But back to subject should I continue with reasons to add 3 rod or what leaving personal opinions out?

I was going to say something Like that Rapala, Seasonal site, dockage, food enterttainment. Fuel at the marina is a deal at $4.00 gal with a 80 gal tank. about everyother weekend,

But back to subject should I continue with reasons to add 3 rod or what leaving personal opinions out?

Sure Walleyemagic.

Don't take it personal. Just had alot of people disagree with that one idea.

Everyones opinion counts.

Glen

Wm Your a good man to say sorry :clap: Thanks I appreciate. That is a sore subject :headbang: but I agree lets get back to the 3 rod rule. I would have a hard time running 9 rods on my boat but it would be nice as glen has said that on slow days those extra rods could turn a dead day into a few more fish day 8) .