3 rod rule needs our help

Well, I am on the fence with the three rod thing. Foremost, fishing is about the challange for me. I love to out fish a boat load of guys when fishing two rods. On the other hand, when you haven't had a rip in two hours, you start thinking about that dipsey in the cabin.

But a couple things I've learned in the last 25 years, if they ain't bitin' it doesn't matter how many lures you have in the water. And MANY times less is more!! Two riggers and two divers (and two guys) on the right day, can make you a hero at the dock.

I guess I am not in a hurry to fish the lake out.

Still on the fence,

HM

Has Been wrote:

Question. What do you do with the fish that are in bad shape once the box is full & you are in C&R mode?

Well Has Been there just ain't that many days that I fill my box as I am mostly catch and release and keep a few of the rough ones for people at the campground to grill up. Or I'll keep a few if someone fishing with me or at home wants some meat. So that isn't much of an issue on my boat. In fact other than tournaments and a yearly trip out to the Niagara Bar I honestly don't remember the last time I kept a limit of Salmon. I think they taste kinda like swamp but many people that I know love them.

Perhaps you should not worry about me and take a look at Has Been.

Here is a statement made by you on a post from not so long ago regarding the 3 rod rule.

Has Been wrote:

When I did have it I ran 4 rods most of the time somtimes 6 on 4 riggers or board s or dipsys or whatever. My best day out with 3 of us was 54 fish on with 36 landed, with 2 kings apro 20, 4 rods.

What did YOU do with those fish Has Been?

Never mind answereing as I'm not that interested in hot air.

Glen

I relased as many as I could that I thought would make it . But my guess is that I probably killed a few more than i would like to admit releasing them. I want to give them as much of a chance as possible but after they go back you just don't know. We have all seen the floaters out there.I'm not worried about you I kind of see where you are coming from. I worry about the fishery as a whole. I won't turn my back on it.It's pretty much in my back yard.It's what I live for. Spoonfed, Dont ask if you don't want an honest answer.

We usualy have two on the boat , thats 4 rods. Two off the riggers two dipsies. When things are slow I would like to put a junk rod to play with, Copper , lead core, drop weight, high dipsie, just something to try and dial the bite in better. The limit is the same , no matter how many rods I have out.

This thread started out well, however I have been hesitant to enter it due to not wanting to argue with the aggressively belligerent, data-lacking BS from some members expressing minority opinion just because they want to argue. I have therefore written directly to this senator’s aide with the following:

Mr. Morris

Since the first salmon was introduced, Lake Ontario has been turned into a world class fishery thanks to the efforts of the NYSDEC and many supporting organizations. I am a big proponent for the 3-rod rule because:

1. All sportsfishermen were challenged by the NYSDEC commissioner to “help rekindle an interest in the great NY outdoors.†At least that’s what’s printed in the regulation guidebook that we got last year when we purchased last year’s license.

2. The NYSDEC has conducted a creel survey every year on BIG-O for a long time. They have the data that shows the number of annual fishing trips made to Big-O has gone down dramatically. The 2008 Lake Ontario Annual report shows the average angler caught one salmon every eleven (11) hours. Therefore for every angler that caught his legal limit of three during his outing, there were many many many others that didn’t catch anything.

The biggest turn-off for a kid or a guest is to take them fishing and then they don’t catch anything. In addition, the main reason that some fishermen don’t like revealing their location is simply because they don’t want others to flock to the area where or how they themselves are catching fish. Look how many fishermen pursue the west end of Big-O when the word is out that there is where the salmon are. There are many people, and I have met quite a few, that have become very frustrated by not catching a fish and vow to take up other forms of recreation rather than make a return trip to our fishery, both residents and “out-of statersâ€.

Return visits to the fishery are a boon to the local economies, which are in dire need of help. Return trips means more money spent locally for fuel, food, lodging, launches, parking, rentals, and for the “hot lures†and “local knowledge†of the area. (plus taxes on same)

The 3-rod rule will not guarantee that people catch more fish; rather it will give them the potential to locate the fish a little easier and hopefully put the right lure closer to the fish. The small crewed boats (i.e. the 1, 2 or even 3 person crews) can benefit from it. The “weekend warriorâ€, the recreationalist, the vacationer, the retired couple who have saved up for a boat and now have the time & health to use it. It does not mean they must use 3 rods, it will mean they can use 3 rods per person, if they so chose, legally.

The great majority of charter boats probably won’t use 3 rods per angler as they already run many more rods than the “little guy.†Trout & salmon are often scattered throughout the water column for most of the year. Often on charter boats, one or two rods are shared by all persons onboard as they are the rods dialed into the proper location of the fish. In all my years of fishing Lake Ontario (50+) I have never heard of any boat truthfully having 10 fish on at once.

3. The current NYS law, that is older than any fisherman on the LOU forum, does not limit the number of rods a sportsfisherman can use; rather it limits the number of lines that an angler can use as well as the configuration of points and baits per line. The vast majority of Sportsfishermen today use rods and reels when they go fishing.

A few years back, Michigan adopted a 3-rod rule and witnessed enough success that they have recently expanded it to include all of that state’s waters.

4. The 3-rod rule will not exploit the fishery. Creel limits would still be in effect. What 3-rods may do is help a fisherman catch a fish in possibly less time, which will generate even more excitement about the fishing trip. Hence, even more eagerness to return to the fishery and even tell tales to tell his friends who may become motivated to try their luck at it. (Again – more return trips plus increased license sales.) The DEC Annual Reports indicate that the number of fishermen achieving their creel limit per trip is miniscule.

5. I have talked to members of the Lake Ontario Unit of the DEC and they do not appear to have any problem with this becoming a law.

6. A poll was taken on the www.lakeontariounited.com fishing website and the vote was 187 in favor to 31 against. As the discussion went on, many of the 31 privately emailed me to change their vote (which unfortunately, can’t be done.)

I am a “weekend warrior†type solo recreational fisherman. I make no money from the fishery. I probably catch as many salmon as anyone out on the Big-O so will it help me? Perhaps it might. I know it would have helped that frustrated retired couple from Michigan that I met while retrieving my boat at the Genny and the 2 guys from Arkansas, neither of which group caught any fish and vowed never to come back. If they had come back, it would have helped the guy that owns Mitch’s Bait & Tackle in Charlotte, the Turkish-American couple that owns the 7-11 on Lake Ave as well as Monroe County that operates the launch on the Genesee River.

I am therefore all in favor of a 3-rod rule and urge you to convince the Senator to push the senate to adopt it.

Thank you.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

tom :yes::beer:

has been, you prove a point yes, and, no. how can you say to work hard and pay the dues to catch the fish, then turn around and say how you would rather lift them..that to me sounds like you just wanna argue:)

back in the day "has been " would of been called a,,,,,, FLAME,,,its just a method that someone uses to keep attention focased on themselfs kinda goes against the grain on a "big" topic then sorta leaves a little dirt on the floor for a follow up bash...next he will reply with a (I didnt mean to say what I did the way i did ) I would never do "x" or "Y" .... Best thing for a "FLAME" is let it run outa fuel so ya just sorta need to Ignore him...

RAY K.

PS sorry so blunt Has been

Thanx guys. I received a reply from Mr. Morris:

Thank you very much, Mr. Bishop.

I've forwarded this to our Graduate Fellow in our Albany Office so he can use this information to draft the "Sponsor's Memo" (an attached note of sorts that explains the purpose and scope of the bill in layman's terms).

Peter C. Morris

Operations Assistant

THOMAS W. LIBOUS

State Senator

1-877-854-2687 Ext. 117

I encourage everyone to hit the preview button a couple times before we submit posts or send emails as I believe we all need to let our fingers do the walking, not necessarily the talking. (except for Ray K. of course - - Musky - put that chainsaw away ;) )

Tom B.

(LongLine)

The fish limit would not change, so if the limits are considered acceptable what harm would 3 rods per person do. Keep the fishermen/women happy and all the towns along the coast would benefit. The more positive interest in this fishery the better. I would probably continue to use 2 rods on most days, sometimes less is more...

Lots of good people around this country and I look forward to meeting many more of them. Lets not discourage them from enjoying this beautiful state.

In defense of has been. He has written nothing inflamatory in this thead and just because he has a dissenting opinion you label him a flame? You call him attention seeking but you out post him 17/1?. I have seen a lot of news groups ruined over the years because the majority opinion attacked opposition.

back in the day "has been " would of been called a,,,,,, FLAME,,,its just a method that someone uses to keep attention focased on themselfs kinda goes against the grain on a "big" topic then sorta leaves a little dirt on the floor for a follow up bash...next he will reply with a (I didnt mean to say what I did the way i did ) I would never do "x" or "Y" .... Best thing for a "FLAME" is let it run outa fuel so ya just sorta need to Ignore him...

RAY K.

PS sorry so blunt Has been

I think you see a lot of guys mad about his opinion because we are trying to get something FOR the sport. The state keeps taking away and making things harder on us sportsmen. For once it would be nice to get something in our favor. He is entitled to his opinion.

When you voice your opinion on these forums, be prepared to get roasted by someone no matter what the topic. If you don't want to get roasted, keep you mouths shut. I think Has Been has big enough shoulders to take the heat (seeing that he voices his honest opinion without hesistation).

actually on this topic i think its 5 to 3 ..... to have a opinion one way or another is a good thing,if your for it or against it... Just because some dont know the proper way to retrive,revive and release a fish is not a reason the other 99% should suffer or not try to do are part in the 3 rod rule..Most who catch a lot of fish know some mortality will occure and ive pulled my lines more than once to retrive a "floater",and if it dont swim away when you get close again 99% do,ill give it a second chance at freedom or it goes in the cooler...Many would benifit from this rule if passed for the reasons mentioned basicly ,the little guy can maybe get 1 fish or at best "HIS" limit....If you spend a little time looking at charters sites you will see their are a few fish removed from the lake every year. even with 2 rods the biggest mortality occurs In my opinion from the little shakers that dont release and are dragged for a extended time. The best thing one can do is check your stuff often 20 to 30 minutes max to help minumize this unwanted result.. also most know the heavy spread is a hunting effort once the fish are located most minumize rods to effective and managable numbers to catch the pod they found without tangles.. I dont think the 3 rod rule will have the charters running 8 extra rod because they can ,But would allow some of us (most) with 1 or two guys on board to experience the Thrill Of Catching ,Fighting, and Eating their hard and expensive efforts to get their own fish......Ok maybe not a total " flame " so ill apoligize for that """IM SORRY HAS BEEN"" May i suggest if its the mortality rate that is a major concern ,,do some research,make a seperate POSITIVE FISH HELPING post on The Proper way to revive a caught fish ,how to identify the over the hill ones ,and proper fish handling if your gonna release ( I Dont Net ) i release at the side of the boat with needle nose and rarely use a net even for the big ones unless its derby or eating time for me..

In defense of has been. He has written nothing inflamatory in this thead and just because he has a dissenting opinion you label him a flame? You call him attention seeking but you out post him 17/1?. I have seen a lot of news groups ruined over the years because the majority opinion attacked opposition.

Things might not be as they appear. There was a lengthy post by Has Been on here for a short time yesterday. I did not have a chance to read it but noticed it was there and later when I went to read it it was gone. I would guess it was removed by the moderators and I can say I've never seen that happen without reason.

I have dissagreed on topics in the past here and have been a member of this board from the very begining when Capt. Steve Drave started it. I find if you have a difference of opinion you are more than welcome to discuss it and even argue it but try not to belittle or insult other people for their opinions or you got to expect some type of similar response. Then things can get ugly and unproductive. Thats when the moderators got to step in and BABY SIT. I can assure you thats not what they like to do. They do a great job here.

Glen

Thanks Rail bird!! "Has been" didn't deserve what followed his post. I did read it before is was deleted. He may have removed himself. Woudn't blame him.

One thing I noticed, there are 640 + names on the petition and over 6000 members. 10 %?? in favor?