3 rod rule needs our help

Here’s the link to the DEC directory:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/558.html

Just about every one of the directors, fisheries & habitat staff, plus a lot of their bosses have received calls/letters about the 3-rod rule which is why Larry got the reply he got.

The reply Larry received isn’t a surprise:

1. Because the number of LINES fishermen can use is part of the Environmental Law that can only be changed by the Legislature. The DEC can recommend a change but can’t grant the change. Only the state legislature can. (NOTE: The NYSDEC is NOT against it) You need to write/call your assemblyman and state senators.

2. It costs the state money to maintain the quality level of fishing that we have. With less and less fishermen every year, the remainder WILL have to pay more to maintain it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom

Your right, the decline in fishermen buying licences is a driving force for the DEC to be (quietly) in favor of the 3 rod Rule because it gives them the justification to implement the recreational marine fishing areas on Erie and Ontario to provide money to keep the program going. I was just a little upset hearing it is going to cost me at least $10.00 on top of my lifetime licence to fish the lake. If the fee goes directly to DEC fishery fund I can live with that, if it goes to the general fund that's a problem (I assume the fee is going to the DEC or I don't think they would be in favor).

i guess my question now rests with the charter capts. on their take on a 3 Rod law that implements an RMA that requires them to charge each client an additional $10.00 fee to cover the Recreational Marine Fishing Licence/Trout and salmon stamp? Another question is how many new fisherman will be willing to pay the additional RML fee on top of their licence fee just to fish the lakes.

Looking at the overall picture I guess the 3 rod rule might not be to bad after all. The DEC stands to make more money ticketing fisherman on the lakeside of the first bridges of the tributaries (in boats, launches, docks, piers, and the shoreline) that don't get their RML.

Larry

Larry from what I was told when I purchased my license, the license increase this season, from $40.00 to $70.00 for non resident is supposed to offset this additional fee. Just have to wait and see. Never know when it comes to money.

Glen

Larry,

I don’t think many would argue against your stance for fishery money to go into the fishery. I believe every penny of fishery money should go back into the fishery. The problem I see is that if the number of fishermen declines even more, as is the general trend for quite a while then we’ll be lucky if it only goes up that $10 you refer to.

Additionally, if the fees (and fines) go too high, I guess the “open water guys†will just have to start fishing only the tribs. (above the MRL). May be a lot of guys have already gone there?. Someone claimed in previous posts that:

The Tribs are packed each year with more & more coming up each year w/ the fly fishing boom.
Its way cheeper for a guy to fish the tribs than the lake.

You want more crowds up there, right? ;)

BTW - How many rods are allowed in the RML now?????

Tom B.

(LongLine)

The way I understand it is the DEC could put the lakes and tribs under an RMD (Recreational Marine District) or just the lakes. Guess I am hoping for the latter so I don't feel like I'm getting hosed on my lifetime licence. If the DEC does include the tribs, I'll pay the additional fee, which I guess I will also pay if it is just the lakes. At least we will get something (the third rod) out of it and I'll understand why when the DEC hits us with it.

The current RMD for the coastal waters include the tribs of the Hudson and Delaware Rivers. south of the Tappan Zee Bridge. To answer another question the RMD licence is an additional annual fee above ALL regular fishing licences. The additional fee is $10.00 for NY resident and $15.00 for non-resident.

If the 3 rod rule becomes law we will get an increase to fish that will help the DEC maintain the fishery and that's a good thing.

So my license is going up to $70 from $40 PLUS another $15 on top of that :devil::no: I guess the state only wants residents to fish in New York with that kind of Non resident fee. who can afford to fish the lake. so what will a 1 day license cost $ 40 $ 50 just to fish a day????? Talk about killing the fishery's. They are doing more damage than good with fee's like that.I think there will be a big loss in out of staters when they see this . It's a dam shame. Well one thing is for sure, I don't think we will have to worry about pack fishing this year :lol: I have no problem paying what ever it takes but it would be nice to see it go right back the the fishery's and not in some losers pocket :@

Another additional fee would suck but lets face it everything is going up. An increase to benefit the fishery that we all care about and enjoy is better than most that we are subjected to in todays world. Take taxes for instance. :@ I fish the lake on an average of 60 days a year. At ten bucks that comes out to about 17 cents per trip.

I would rather give my money up to maintain and improve the fishery than to the government to support their insane spending or to the oil companys to overfill their pockets with profits.

I still would like more information on this increase as I was under the impression the license increase was put through in place of this.

Anybody steer me in the right direction to get more information? Tom or Larry?

Thanks

Glen

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/59720.html Provides a link to email addresses for Public Comments on DEC Regulations with this link http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/60768.html that shows submitted comments. To date, there are no public comments under Fish, Wildlife, & Marine Resources Regulations. ??????? Where have our letters been going in favor of the 3 Rod Rule, and the proposed Wind Turbines on Lake Ontario?

Musky - I'd like to know that too. I know for a fact that these NYSDEC people received letters from me along with a complete package of the petition for 3-rods:

Judy Drabicki – Regional Director Reg 6

Keith Lynch – Regional Director Reg 7

Paul D'Amato – Regional Director Reg 8

Abby Snyder – Regional Director Reg 9

Shaun Keeler - Regulatory Agenda Contact for Sportfishing Regulations

Pete Grannis - Commissioner NYSDEC

Christopher Amato - Assistant Commissioner for Natural Resources

Patricia Riexinger - Director Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources

Steve LaPan – Head of the Lake Ontario Unit

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Lemme get this right. DEC is authorized to require Marine Rec License or "Trout and Salmon Stamp" for Lakes Erie and Ontario. I fish the Hudson and the salt regularly, so I have a lifetime Marine Rec License already($150.00). The way I read that, I am good to go for Lakes E and O if they implement that rule. UNLESS you have to also have the stamp. I 'm still scratching my head on that one.

Paul

It sounds like the only problem some folks have with the three rod rule ( trolling) is possible increase in fish kill. I would like to see the 3 rod change. I used to fish the tribs on the Finger Lakes for years. I stayed home from school to fish April first from the time I was 6 or 8 years old. I have seen first hand the destruction of the rainbow population. These fish were kicked and snatched out of the creek by guys who if they ran 50 rods could not catch them on the lake. So I ask you this, is the guy catching 20 fish, keeping 3, trolling with 3 rods killing more fish than the guys that keep three in the creek that are spawning and are laying 200 to 8000 eggs per fish? I am willing to bet most of the guys on this forum are sportsman who will protect the resource for the future no matter how many rods they run. Sean

Hookedup wrote:

I am willing to bet most of the guys on this forum are sportsman who will protect the resource for the future no matter how many rods they run. Sean

:yes:

Not just "most guys", but the great majority. We'll also report violators.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Did a little research on the Marine district licenses. Looks like we freshwater guys would save quite a chunk of money if they did declare Lake Ontario part of the marine district. Resident licenses are only $10, not the $29 a lot of us just paid.

here's the link:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

Also if you go more than 3 miles out, no license is required! What's that...200 FOW? Rest assured, there's NO WAY in HE[[ the state is going to declare Big-O a Marine district & lose funds.

The Feds only care about the saltwater coast & were about to charge a federal fee in 2011 for being out there in the salt water, so good old NY decided to cut the feds off by getting an exemption thereby getting more money themselves.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm also a out of stater, I am there from the day they let us put our boats in the slips to around labor day weekend and i'm there every weekend. The fuel alone to get there run the boat,tackle, food,license,repair,beer need i say more! Adding another rod in the water would help . Most of the fish i release anyway.

Jim :beer:

Did a little research on the Marine district licenses. Looks like we freshwater guys would save quite a chunk of money if they did declare Lake Ontario part of the marine district. Resident licenses are only $10, not the $29 a lot of us just paid.

here's the link:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

Also if you go more than 3 miles out, no license is required! What's that...200 FOW? Rest assured, there's NO WAY in HE[[ the state is going to declare Big-O a Marine district & lose funds.

The Feds only care about the saltwater coast & were about to charge a federal fee in 2011 for being out there in the salt water, so good old NY decided to cut the feds off by getting an exemption thereby getting more money themselves.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

It would not suprise me if NY did this. They are known for doing things to make money that ended up losing money.

No problem Glenn. For NY to declare Big-O a Marine District would mean that the Legislature would be giving us a 66% reduction in fees. We all know that fees, just like taxes, never go down in NY. The state wastes money, they don't lose it. They spend the money...it's just that sometimes they don't know what they spent it on or whether they got any value out of it.

Also, the state can't use the the Federal Marine District law as an excuse to raise our fishing fees on Big-O because they already have a list of everyone that is on the lake, either by NYS fishing licenses or boat registrations. The Feds wanted a list of people who "hang out" on the coastal waters. The state used the Fed law to have the fishermen pay NYS thereby creating that list, rather than have the fishermen pay the Feds directly. Actually it was kind of a smart move as it gives the state more money. Hopefully not to waste - but who knows? - it's NY :(

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm a out of stater (PA.) that will not buy a PA. fishing lic. i don't care if they raise the fees to 300.00 i'll still fish NY. three rods per would be nice on some days other days you can't keep a 4 rod spead in the water. i go to catch fish but not to kill as many as i can. the fish fry at the church always has had plenty to go around due to people other than myself not wanting derby fish to go to waste. the people that enjoy this sport and fish often could care less about reeling one in esp. if there is a first timer on board!! for me it's all about figuring them out and then watching the rods fire and the reaction of these other people. three rods would help to hone in on the zone then the dead rods would be put back in the launcher untill the bite dies. GOD bless.......rollie

I am going to Washington State to fish the Olympic Penninsula for Steelhead next month with my nephew(a transplant from Lake O tribs). While buying my out-of-state license, I came across this:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/twopole/index.html.

It is an option to buy the right to run an extra fishing rod. They currently only allow one. NY is not the only state to try and maximize fishing bucks.