should i set my dipsy rods up with wire?

wire line or braided on my dipsys? i have seen many of you fish this way, and i run mono, and that wire line is expensive, is it worth my while to switch? will i have a better hook/land ratio? thanks for opinion guys

I started out with mono like you and after reading and talking to people I made the switch to wire. It seems my hook/landed has increased but I'm not sure if that's from switching to wire or all the stuff I have learned from this board. There is a ton of great info on wire vs. braid if you do a search. You will be able to get your lure down with less wire and it's a different fight on wire then mono...no stretch with wire and stretch with mono.

well mike i have fought them on ontario, on a fellows boat, but im a hurting unit as to im paying college and my boat hahaha, i look for the cheaper route iwth best results, we'll see what happens? you fish the memorial day derby?

If your gonna do seneca mostly ya might get the wire and most important TWILLIE tips the strain of fleas in seneca are day and night different from the fleas on Ontario, and will clog your power pro.........Ontario fleas it dosent matter as twillie tips and power pro will clean off as good as wire (almost) 50 lb power pro is a good dia to use,, and also in seneca you dont need a 1000 ft spool on each rod as ya ant gonna get a 700 ft run outa a 10 lb laker pick up a couple 300ft spools of wire....tuff times require tuff decions ,,do you spend morey on tackle or pay bills,,??? to me its a no brainer throw the bills in the garbage and go fishing....so spool up 1 pole with 1000ft,and 1 with power pro but when you do the math your only saving 15 to 20 bucks and one good flea clogging episode will give you that good ole 20/20 hindsite.. If your trulley dedicated to school and are doing well, Ill step up and give ya some older dypsys,600 ft wire,few spindocters,flys,line,......a little black paint and couple drops epoxy will get the dypsys fixed (depth ring a little loose)...give me a call soon as wiffy and i will be heading outa town and my son ant touching my fishing stuff (geese dad this guy showed up and said you told him to take everything!) might even have a spoon or two...607 769 7947

hey ray, im all set on gear. ive got everything as far as that goes, just wondering on the wire...as far as school goes i graduated 2 yrs ago form alfred..i live down in elmira heights, keep my boat at ervays on seneca, but i fish many lakes with her. ill save your number however, if you ever wanna meet up and fish im always looking for ppl to come abboard my fishin boat. ppl my age arent interested and pops never wants to go, his wife needs a boot in her.....but i can put us on fish! 607 426 5919 nick

1aQtfr.jpg

by the way here is my boat, o you know im not jokin around!! KEOKE 225 sea ray! with cannon mag 10 electric, 18ft outriggers, lowrance gps and chartplotter, auto pilot, planner boards...i go in first week of april every yr.. and hey trolling keuka, whats your boats name? maybe ive seen ya on the water, we hung out near lodi and long point during the derby...

I have recently been reading the keating on kings book. In there he states if you go out without at least one wire rod your crazy. I am going to try wire as well. I primarly fish Seneca, Canandaigua, some times Keuka. I recently picked up a bigger boat so I am going to head to the big O this year as well. I have been on this board long enough to know wire or braid is discussed alot. I figure so many use wire and rave about it, I gotta try it myself.

TD

Only dipsey rods I run on the Finger Lakes have wire on them. Like Ray said if you use power pro the fleas will put an end to your fishing fast. We had days last summer were we had to have a guy standing at the tip of the wire line rod to keep the fleas off. I have had times when my mag 10 riggers have jamed up with fleas. I wish we had the Ontario fleas, you dont shake off the fleas on the Finger Lakes. But I wish I was picking fleas off my line now. Come on spring Sean

i hear ya, spring cant come soon enough! i had a few days this past summer on seneca where my mag 10s had flea build up, but nothing too bad, i tried running different types of line, found that the stren seemed to get the lesser amount than any other..i wish there was a way to prevent the fleas....fomr even being in the water, DEC seems to be doing well with the lamphrey problem on seneca, caught few fish this yr with marks!!+++++++:) Even saw some smelt in the canal early spring this past yr.