Tip Ups?

Hookedup

Going to get back into ice fishing, I have some tip ups I want to rig back up. How do you guys rig them up for pearch? Line, size hook ex. I am going to get out on Cayuta Sunday if all goes as planed. Thanks for the help. Sean Brown

I use 20lb tipup ice line. Its a braid line. Then tie a loop in the braid or use a small three way swivel and leave the tag end about 4 to 5 inches below the hook for the sinker. I like a 1/4 oz bell sinker on there to drop through the slush in the hole. snelled #6 or 8 hooks looped on the main line loop or three way swivel. some times I use a double hook one above the other to target different levels at the same time on one tipup if fishing deep water for perch. Also for a depth indicator and repeatability of the dangle from the tipup, I thread the main line through two holes of a shirt button, and slide it to the point where it meets the reel after the set. That way if it needs to be reset after a fish, you can quickly repeat the proper depth for the bite. Depends on what type of tipups you use but there are ways of setting them for a lite bite of a perch. I have the old wooden stick type and I have used a piece of fishing line about 3 to 4 inches long tied to the flag end of the spring steel with a loop on the other end that goes over the catch. The line slides off easier as the trip hits it.

Mark

Not sure of the avg size of perch on Cayuta, but if you seem to be getting a lot of dinks, try raising your minnows up a bit. Small perch will often not come out of the weeds/cover but larger ones often will. After fishing w/ Traveling Man last year I switched to tip downs for perch, using a 2 hook rig and I stay fairly close to them, they are much more sensitive to subtle strikes from perch/crappies. I use my tip ups mostly for Pickerel now.