Savage 220 20ga

Jeremy, if you are still experimenting with ammo... try the Horandy SST's. I have a ultra-slug single shot in 12 gauge with the bull barrell -magnaported and it absolutely drives tacks even with a cheapo scope.

Wow, I just relooked at your target postings. Almost as if your scope was loose. Wonder if there is a difference with their 20 gauge vs 12? I guess that is why you should try different brands to find the one that your gun shoots best. Have always had good luck with the federal/barnes as well.

Def wasnt a scope issue on the SST.. as all those targets where shot the same day.. As for the Tar Hunt guns yes they are sweet have seen one in action and its a tack driver with the right slug.. but why spend $3grand when you can spend 500 (savage) and get same results.. i have a Rem 870 12ga that has been worked over by Randy at TarHunt and it shoots great but prolly not worth all the money i spent to have it done as i had another Rem 12ga worked over by the boys at DaMar and it shoots the same for about half the price

Browning also released that they will be building the 12ga A-Bolt once again for 2011 :)

hey chrome i was curious about your findings, wondering if you went back out on a day with no wind ect and if you had the same results, I have never shot off a led sled but found the diversity of some of the groups ,,, intresting to say the least. that 1" group of three was perfect but when you added two the group grew as well. did your barrell get hot in the mean time?,, were you adjusting the scope or did the slugs really hit from upper left to lower right with the diff slugs. i have alot of guns most people say to many and i never had a group that loose at 100 w different ammo maybe a couple inches here or there. one more question , did the groups stay in the same spot relative to the target at diff yardages obviously the drop would change but the windage shouldnt.. I am as certian as i can be sitting behind my comp. that it was not shooter error, with the bench, caldwell, ect,

to any other shooters, have you ever experienced that much diversity with diff ammo, if so what kind of gun and what ammo were you using?

Just a curious gun nut

all those targets were shot with no scope adjustments and with plenty of barrel cooling time between all shots. that was the first range session with the Savage so i was seeing what was gunna group the best out of it.. fine tuning wasnt on my mind that day.. the last 2 of the federals could of been wind or possibly even me...the federals are consistanly shooting 1-1 1/2 inch groups for me out of that gun at 100yds... slug guns seem to be really picky with what they like and if they dont the slug the groups really grow at 100yd

thanks for the reply, I guess im just lucky i have 3 slug guns i use on any given day most of the time its my super black eagle II equipped with a ACOG sight

sst 2"high at 100

win, platinum, rem acutip .05 high to dead zero

barnes , copper solid, the blue lightfeilds 1" low at the most and all hold perfect windage, i actually load the sst acutip and platinum all togather thats a 12 ga

My M2 20Ga with a 2.5-7 shoots the same but with a much greater difference in drop and i only shoot the sst so i dont have to guess the drop

beyond 100 i see a much greater diff in the drop but still no "flyers"

this topic always intrigues, like most of us i have heard it my whole life "try a bunch of ammo see what shoots best" and i have honestly never had a gun shoot like that, i dont no why? I have hunted and shot with the same 5 guys my whole life we go to the range ,swap bullets, guns and never seen it happen. And i do shoot alot , I can see how i must sound sometimes but i am a 5-6,000 round a year kind of guy . that aint much by some standards but more than average i guess

I have heard it , You have shown it to me and i really do trust your results,

do your other or older slug guns have varied results also?

PS: That pie plate at 50 cracks me up every year, but the best one heard lately was at buff gun center this guy bought a new 270 and had it bore sighted picked it up day before the season, he was trying to return his peice of junk gun because he missed a buck standing still at 75 yds broadside opening mourning so as sad as it sounds at least them guys take the time to shoot a pie plate

i have seen some pretty drastic changes from brand to brand slugs out of some of my other slug guns.... i really think the SST are the worst...atleast for me anyways.. iv yet to own a slug gun that will shoot them with any consistant groupings but yet i always try them in any new slug gun.. maybe the new Browning A-Bolt will like them :)

Chromeslayer ,can you answer a few questions for me.

#1 did you find that the scope base for the 220f to be a problem

#2 after mounting your scope have you found any problem with shell ejection with the 2.75 and3 in shells

#3do your shell caseings hit your scope when ejected

the reason for these questions was i am considering buying one but have heard about some of these issues.

theres no doubt there has been some issues on ejection problems with some of the 220s... personally i havent had one... the EGW 1pc base would block any ejected shell from coming up and hitting the scope i would think... i dont have any marks on my base or scope so im guessing mine are ejecting clean.. i do beleive Savage was recommending the EGW 1pc base as well

as for ammo lots... yes i have seen some changes from lot to lot.. doesnt happen all the time but it can for sure... i always make sure i get same lot #s when stocking up

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...