Seneca Trout Derby

double D its >>LOU ROLL CALL<<< I started my seneca derby in 1999 from my 18 ft tri hull no riggers just sethgreens and surface rods ,havent missed one yet ...but i might add dont get too pumped up too soon or youll be emptying the bankroll before it starts :( ,, Ive learned some great fishing tips over the years and lost 2 fish at the back of the boat that more than likley would of won ,My sons hard fought laker lost at the net (dad was not the hero that day) and a brown that took my sethgreen rig out to the side of the boat like a L.O. salmon on light tackle,,,Tightening the drag in panic mode did very little good in stoping the fish but i did stop the line from going out :( .. My fishing style has changed a tad to 4 riggers plainer boards, wire rods ,copper ,dypsys ,and a fishfinder.., The "Derby Excitement" still flowes deep in my veins. Back in the day I learned all night partying makes for a late morning start , at sampson.. Now that Were in the pro /ams the seneca derby is more of a tradition tho the Excitement is still there and its always on the caledar...but them Pro/Ams are really cool ,yes 265.00 per AM boat is a big jump to get in one << , Lord Willing I (we) will be on seneca as long as i am able to crawel to the boat,,And squeeze the "mike" and give the LOU ROLL CALL .....and i hope your reel proud of yourselfs as you got me buying new secret tackle for this year.......Ill download the list.......................................................................(after the derby)

Good Luck to you all.

I will be on the water the entire weekend, out of Sampson.

Got a Trophy as well and I'll be sleeping on the boat (living on the boat), Wednesday - Monday.

I typically work the following, depending on what is hitting.

Copper at first light - shallow

Two downriggers, 4 rods.

Seth Green off one side with a multiple lead rigger on the other.

Divers off either side.

What ever bring the fish.

We'll even do some late night, live bait drifting if we have to.

Sleep - That's for after the tourney.

Double D!!!! You're the one who got those sites!!! You got them just a couple days before I went after them! I have friends from work at sites 301 & 302, and I'll be at 306.

Know who's at 308?

I'm thinking about picking up a propane deep frier and doing a fish fry one of those evenings. Maybe Monday after the tournament. You guys in?

Usually we have a heck of a get together over at 301 so don't be afraid to stop by and say HEY!!! The guy at that site is named Jake. I'm Bob.

so figured i would throw this out there since were on the topic! my trout derby registration came today, can i say how well that made me feel? its 4 months away still and some.. but i just cant hold it in! All you guys staying at sampson makes me really wanna go get my slip back. sounds like some good nights with a bunch of fisherman. thahais is going to be a hell of a year! i need some partners:( boats lonely. ;(

Hey I got mine in the mail today as well. Rent a slip at Sampson for the weekend Nick, Come enjoy the festivities :beer:

I know I will be. See the thing is this is also a mens only derby weekend for me, so No wife and kids!! Although I love them all, It is nice to get out with the boys. Camp have some beverages, talk fishin. It doesn't get any better than that. Hopefully the weather is real crappy, now that I have a hard top, maybe it will keep most of the competion off the lake :rofl: Increase my chances of placing HAHA!! Actually the last 3 years I have fished it the weather has been really pretty good.

TD

We are leaving on Monday this year as the wife has to work on Tuesday. I am just hoping to leave Seneca without any wounds this year. Last year the wife drove into the lower unit of my boat as we were leaving ;(:@ so I try to make the most of every year! Seems like something every year has happened for the last four or five years Got to cross the fingers and make sure I follow my wife while driving :lol: Hey tripledeuce, you are on for those beers!

Hopefully the weather is real crappy, now that I have a hard top, maybe it will keep most of the competion off the lake :rofl: Increase my chances of placing HAHA!! .

TD

Then your boat will look pretty funny with about twenty of us packed under that hard-top! Now we just have to figure out a 40 rod spread and how to split the winnings! How early do you have to be to get a site? I see they're sold out already!

if you get a slip, they havent sold any yet, they dont start selling slips til the first of april..and price is good with electric.

i would love to get a slip, but i think were just gonna run the lake. but if ya'll take a lunch break, well swing in for a beer. i plan on fishing that end saturday and sunday, then working south from there sunday...fish the less pressured areas?

is it may yet?

justin, sampson is a really nice park, good prices, good privacy(unless these fellows get a couple thirtys in'em) plus the north end always seems to pull the hogs for the derby. although the south end did have the 13 lbs brown come from it i believe??And sampsons launch is really nice, just watch out, the basin can get a bit shallow in spots.

Oh, you don't have to worry about me getting to loud or rowdy. Unless the lunker on the board is my fish!! Than a celebration will be in order. Actually I like camping at Sampson because of a couple of reasons...Alot of people there that weekend are fishing the derby you can talk to alot of friendly other fisherman....I also like the fact I can slip the boat just walk to slips and your gone....And lastly I like after a long day of fishing a few beers around the campfire before yah get up and repeat it all over!!

TD

Sampson is nice for the above reasons and their are a few hot spots where i always get good numbers of fish .. I recomend setting anchor right off the chute dead center ,and put out a 8 rod bobber spread,,the few boats that launch there are friendly and most everyone will wave and say good morning,and youll be very close to the weigh in if you have any bobbers left :lol: so here are my secret GPS. numbers #$%%%&&((())%NORTH X!))(^^%$WEST ANOTHER SPOT IS"""%$#>>>&^(( NORTH X <<**>^^??$##@@@() WEST these areas are very productive all day ..... Other than that rouge storm that caught my daughter and I in 6ft plus waves 8 or 9 years ago (in my tri hull) ((IF WE DID NOT HAVE A GOOD WORKING BILGE PUMP WE WOULD OF SANK ))) so keep your safty equipt.up to date ...The other REALLY BAD conditions is the foggy mornings many stories were shared of IDIOTS(not you jason) running on plane in 15 to 30 FT FT FT FEET visabilty FOG with many close calls reported ....so keep er slow in the fog specially near my hot spots....

I remember that storm Ray, we were netting a triple when the first rumble came just North of Lodi....white knuckle ride back to Sampson!!! That 22 ft Trophy caught air 2-3 times on the ride back, found out the boat will do over 42mph with a full tank lol! made it to the shute just as all hell broke loose!

i remember thhe storm too. we were in a 15fter back then.. out of dresden.. seneca is the most unpredicted lake ever. the fog is bad, you guys are right, we were trolling along, heard a bboat on plane, my dad was **** scared almost started to toss us off, the guy was coming right at swirved last min and flipped us off! he was inches from hitting out planners....he was a richard, thats for sure.

Hope to meet a few of you guys up there this year. This is my first year for the seneca derby so be gentle. It looks as though I'll have a full boat but if weather turns I might need to hitch a ride. I'll be in site 362 All the power sites are reserved already. See ya there :yes::yes:

The "overflow" sites are a little bit of a pain because you are out in the middle of a field. But since we're out fishing all time who cares? Just make sure you strap your tent down real good in case we get some wind! The past 4 years I have been up there, the weather has been real warm and the water calm. Hasn't even sprinkled as I can remember. Course my memory doesn't go past the beginning of this post! The slips go on sale the 1st monday in april. If you get a campsite also, there is a discount. The campsite you have to get through http://www.reserveamerica.com . I love Sampson because it's got location, location, location. That and a lot of other people fish out of there, the marina is great for getting out on the water quick, and the bathrooms have showers (plug your nose on monday though!).

Zebedee,

Those sites get sold out the year before. The only ones available are the "overflow" sites. I like em cause they are the closest to the marina. They do sell out relatively quick so you better get on it.

Lakebound,

I think the boat has enough hp to pull a dingy along for you! :D:rofl: Seriously though if you need some people jump on it. As it turns out I !might! only need one person so feel free to contact anyone who posts on here about getting on a boat. :yes::beer:

I'll be bringing up the motorhome, got out of the tent business. Like you said T-82 "fishing all day who cares". Thanks for the offer lakebound, but seems that alot of members here are staying at Sampson and I'd like to join up and learn some new things, after the derby of course. Fished Barneys and, WON the LOUALL with Final Flight on Cayuga last year and had a blast. Met Splitshot , Jason and others, great people. Good luck to all and hope a member wins this year :yes::yes:

thanks boss! sampson sounds fun this year after chatting with all ya guys, but ill make the run and fish along side ya 8)

and to anyone, ANYONE, who wants to fish it, let me know, two seats open! 8) bring anything you want..be running from south end up....let me know if interested. I am a pretty decent kid, and can take a joke.

send me a pm and ill shoot a my number.

We are probably staying at the south end again as we had good luck there last year but you never know how it will be this year. The 11.50 brown was cught just slightly north of the painted rock down 50 over 100 by my buddy on my boat and i dont think he had ever been that excited before. That was when got hooked on the trolling program. I have a 20ft Slyvan that you cant miss I think its the only brown boat out there.The wifey wants to call it the "Floatin Terd" :lol: Im sure the derby will be fun as always. May cant get here fast enough.Turkey hunt mornings fish the afternoons. See ya out there.

Who's we? Who says i'm fishing with you this year Justin. I got my own boat now. lol That 16 footer was good to us last year. Don't have a plan for the derby yet. Why do you want to tell everyone the good spots. Might as well tell them what we caught the browns on.

Thanks for the great deal on a boat. "Time Well Wasted"