question on boat size??

Hello, i moved to oswego county a couple of years ago from down south. i have a 24' trophy that i have been using in the lake. i am thinking about trading down to a smaller bayliner 19' classic. the reason is because i dont get to do as much fishing as i would like and it would be a more family suited boat. not to mention that it would be alot easier to tow when we go on vacation. My question is would this boat be unsafe for the lake. i wouldnt attempt to go out if it was to rough, but i have heard these storms on the lake come up very quick and i really dont want to put the wife and kids in danger. any input would be appreciated. thanks, joe

Joe,

I fished in a 19' Penn Yan for years and I'm still here to talk about it. Lots and lots of guys fish very safely in 16' or 17' boats. Just keep an eye on the weather and choose your days and you should be fine.

Joe,

Lake conditions at Oswego can be very rough at times. A West wind can make the East end very unsafe.

A 19 footer depending on depth of free board is ok however if you venture any distance from your port of launch you may be putting yourself in a bad situation. I would keep the 21 footer since you already have made the investment. I would opt for the safety aspect.

Just another opinion.

I have fished out of a 16 foot aluminum boat the past few years on LO... You have to pick your days and watch the weather. You also have to pick your port... In the summer I am more comfortable fishing out of Oak Orchard because I don't have to run off shore as far...

Jusst be smart and don't push it... If the weather is questionable or getting questionable, get off the water....

Been running an 18 foot Trophy for 2 years, before that it was a 14 foot aluminum row boat.

Same answer as everyone else, watch the weather reports. If you see the report and have to think more than two seconds about going, don't go. Better safe than sorry.

My first boat was a 19foot spectrum. Love it. We brought that thing everywere. We got a 25footer now. its nice but really only a lake boat.

about it being safe like the other guys said. Just watch the weather.

Pat

by all means if a smaller boat means you will you use it more than its time to trade up. im sure i this board theres alot of guys who own two boats just for this reason..................