Small boat and motor...Where can I fish???

Hey Guys, I have a 16.5' G3 with a 10hp. motor(NJ max.), the boat is set up for trolling. I want to fish either Lake Ontario or some of the eastern rivers for salmon and trout. Is my boat to small for the lake? I know there are guys fishing in kayaks out there. Any of your opinions or suggestions where to fish and when would be appreciated. Thanks

if you gotta drive a long ways i dont know what to tell ya but if ya know the water will be flat, fish the south east corner in early may for browns, steelhead and pike. launch at little salmon river and put out lures as soon as you exit river mouth. dont even warm the motor up, just troll it up. youll be hooked up before you even get the third lure out if the water is under 49 degrees. if the water is still under 44 degrees turn west. if its starting to warm above 44 or at 44 turn twards the east corner and troll untill you cross grindstone current break and turn around and repeat. may not be worth the drive if you cant garantee flat water as the east end gets pounded with wind and huge waves in spring. if you make it out and the lake is stormin, at least youll get some awsome veiws of monster waves from rainbow shores. even thats worth the drive.

You can fish out of any port on the lake in a 16 footer. You just got to pick your days and stay relativley close to port with the 10 hp. Things can change in a hurry out there.

Spring Browns close to shore is a good bet. Mexico, Oswego, Fairhaven and Sodus are all good for spring Browns. There are many more I'm sure but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. If you want to go west for salmon and lakers the Niagara Bar is a good choice in the spring.

I fished that area out of a 17 1/2 footer many times with no problems. I ran a 90 hp on it though but once the fish move up onto the Bar you don't have to go far to get on them. Just use common sense and pick your days. No fish is worth risking your saftey over.

Glen

Im a kayak fisherman on ontario and i have no problems at all. As longs as its semi calm, you should be fine. The only thing to worry about is the high winds and rougher waves out deeper. Ive been a mile out in a 8 ft kayak and was fine, you should be fine in a motarized boat. good fishing

Small boat on the lake is generally no problem early in the year. But you never can tell what the lake is going to be like. If I were you I'd plan trip to some place where there is a bay or protected harbor just in case. I-Bay, Sodus, Port Bay, Fair Haven, Oswego, etc. If lake is too rough then you can always fish the bays. They hold some decent fish. Please remember that with the prevailing westerlie winds we have, the east end is usually the roughest.

I used to have a 14 ft'r w/ 7 1/2 hp that I used before and after they took the docks out at the I-Bay launch.

Tom B.

(LongLine)