Rapala's for Browns

I run alot of rapalas in spring. j7s are great too. typical colors- black/silver, black/crome, orange, purple, rainbow trout patterns, perch. for me its all about speed dictating the action. some days they like it slow and some days fast.

We've got a lot of big browns late in the morning fishing a little bit deeper water with J-13's. Primarily run black/silver, black/gold, and chartreuse/silver. We remove the trebles and add 1 single hook on the back and paint the bellys orange, especially on the chartreuse/silver. Shallower water we run the lures mentioned above and attach all with a small clip.

if you see a little silver and gold bout 2.5 " long, slight rattle ya might try to pick one up and if it sunny and muddy it just might work its not a rapella finish its very shiny dont know brands or size numbers ..... and even tho there pricy the silver/black yozuri crystal minnow 3.5 in and 5 in might get ya a tug or two ....

The stright 9 & 11 on boards & riggers set shallow worked well for me. Also in very shallow water I used jointed rebels & smithwicks. Bent nose eye down to give a wide wobble and so it would not dive as deep. Ran them off boards on shore in wave trougth for browns and did well .75-125' back w/ riiger ball just under surface was good on choppy days in 8 - 15 ft also.Adjust lead length & color to water clarity.Also I put small split rings on all sticks & tied direct for max action.

I was pretty sure thats what it meant but when I was checking some lures out on e-bay they had a stick bait type rapala listed as HJ-9. I was't sure if that was just a typo or not. I have used the jointed rapalas for years for pike and bass just never thought to try them on trout. I just ordered several of them to try in the spring. Hope they work as good as you guys say. Can't wait to get out again!

Depending on depth, and water conditions I run straight rapalas, size 5 to 11, and the jointed ones sizes 7 to 11. If it's super early, before the big boat goes in the water, and the warmest water is really cold, like 38-40 degrees, I tend to run the smaller stick baits as I have a tendency to troll slower and shallower (water depth 4-5 feet), and the smaller stickbaits run a little better at slower speeds. Once the big boat is out storage, and the spring fishing season is in full swing, I tend to run the 9-11 sizes. I also run Bombers, Smithwicks, Yozuri. My favorite spring colors are perch, black and silver, gold and silver, and gobi.

This is just a base for me to start a game plan for that day of fishing. As you know when it comes to catching fish anything goes.

I'm glad they catch more than sheephead- we have about 150+ on board for walleye. First year they came out, one was $4, now they run anywhere from $6.50-$12.00. There new big thing is this Ultra Violet paint job... I don't know if UV paint makes a difference or not, but I know there arent any black lights floating around the lake