Kicker Steering

Trolling82

Here's the deal. I want to put a kicker on my boat this spring. Currently the boat has an i/o OMC Stringer outdrive.

The only thing I've heard is to put a EZ-Steer bracket on it. However, the reviews aren't that great.

Anyone know of any other options? I'd prefer not to steer off from the main because I don't want to worry about wearing something out. But if I got to then I got to. :(

problem is i had a problem last year, something hit my platofrm and cracked the inner liner, i had to get down in the engine compartment and redo the ass end on one side, its stronger than it was before it happened, but who knows i could end up with one someday..

I plan on using this unit from Cabelas. I like you am on a budget so this seems to be the cheapest connection between the main outdrive and the kicker. Similiar connection as the ez-steers. Only bad part is you may have to put a hole in your cavitiation plate to connect them. Not a problem for me because my kicker cav plate already has a hole in it. Where it connects to my main outdrive I am going to build some thing so I don't have to drill a hole.

Auxiliary Motor Connector Rods

Cabelas part # IA-010971

TD

Lakebound,

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/M ... ACKET.html

Think the TR-1 is a bit outside of my budget capabilities for this year. ;(

Sean,

I like it's relative simplicity and apparent effectiveness, but I can't justify the $250 price tag for a rod and hose clamps.... We'll see how cheap I can get the kicker for. And all the other good stuff you're going to talk me into! :D

Triple Deuce,

Think you'll have any problems raising and lowering independently with that setup?

I am not sure, the connecting rod has ball swivels on each end to allow for angle differences. I had a similiar set up on my last boat, but the connection was between two outboards on the front side not the back and that worked fine. We'll see how this works I am sure I can make it work if I have too.

TD

It appears that the connecting rod is a solid one piece and does not change length. If the kicker is up and the main is down, wouldn't the distance be longer than if they were both down? I think you would have to disconnect it every time you lowered/raised one unit or the other.... Course if you don't raise and lower it 20 times a day it would be fine. Only down side would be leaning over the back of the boat to connect/disconnect it on the water. That's quite a lean on mine! :)

I have lost two EZ Steer connecting rods over the side when reaching to hook them up. It is an expensive lesson. They came apart from rough water pounding in the lake. Finally I hooked a bungy cord around the rod to keep it together. That seemed to work. Any way tie a piece of Mono on each end them to keep from losing the rod parts.

Trolling82 I believe when you install the rod length you adjust it so the motors are parallel. Then you install the rod before launching. While under way with the I/O motor the kicker motor will be in the up postion with my OMC aux motor bracket. With the kicker up the distance will increase slightly but the kicker motor will just rotate a little on it's turning axis (Shis should not negatively effect to much?). Remember these rods have a Tie rod like ball swivel on both ends of them. Then when you lower the kicker to use it, the rod length will return to the right size and the I/O will run parallel to the kicker motor. Then when I pull out to trailer I will remove the rod assembly to raise the I/O to the full up position. Maybe I'll post some pics and let yah know how this works when I install it. Gonna be a while though cause I need to float the boat to get my transom waterline before I mount the OMC Auxillary motor bracket.

TD

I didn't think about the kicker turning to make up the change in distance. Good point. I assume you could do the same when you raise the i/o to trailer. Kicker will just turn to whatever length it ends up. Good thinking! Starting to like the idea more!

I had the older version of the electro steer not the T4 and it did work well, regreted not getting the wireless remote for it though night fishing when I was in the back of the boat someone usually me was always tripping over the cord. I have heard from guys who run the t4 its improved and better than the older version I had. Great way to steer a kicker without spending huge bucks.

Having a high thrust prop will help so your not correcting as much. I didn't on my last boat and set up and it hurt me a little bit.

One nice thing about this unit is if your only fishing with two guys is that you can be in the back of the boat fishing and even reeling one in or in the back of the boat with net in hand making small corrections if you got a good one in coming in to the right or left side of the transom you can steer the boat looking back so the fish comes right to the net much easier on the net man and the guy reeling. I use to the stick the remote in my pocket of my jacket or hoodie while reeling. pretty sweet.

WOOHOO!!! Got me a kicker bracket! One of those up and down ones, not hydraulic. 15hp max. Got it off ebay for 28, plus 20 shipping from florida = $48 total! One less thing to worry about! Now just get the outboard and figure out how to steer it......

Trolling82 I have used ez steer for about 10 or 12 years. I have been pretty happy with it.I have a extra standard steering tube that adjusts from 23 to 36in.I don't have the hardware for the motors.I would let go for $60.00 if this would help.It sells for around $160.00.Kicker hardware is about $75.00 online I don't know how much for outdrive connection.If you are interested you can pm me.

I set up my dad's boat with an EZ Steer and only had a few problems with it, all were self inflicted. We lock the trolling motor when trailering and we had a couple instances where we didn't unlock it and tried to turn the motor, pulled the rod apart. It would also have helped if we would have purchased the right length rod. I bought the rod off eBay and made the brakets that mount on the boat. Used stainless pipe and hose clamps. For the connector EZ Steer just uses industrial air fittings as quick disconnects. :rofl: If I get a chance I'll get some pics, it does look redneck as all heck, but it works and I've got about $80 into it.