Autopilot recommendation

Gray Fox

Reese, the simrad AP treated me nicely (ap12). The ap14 is the same unit with a digital readout. a couple hundred dollars price difference. You will need 11" of space behind the helm for install. As well as changing the steering cable to accommodate the new rotary system. Depending on the space you have the install can be very easy to very hard. The difficulty in my install was getting to the cable connection on the outdrive end, (no room) to operate. It eventually got done and I couldn't be happier. As everyone says, I don't know how I ever fished without it.

Diversion (Adam) on here also has a 245 and after seeing the Simrad AP14 operate on my Thompson, I believe he took some measurements and determined that he did not have the necessary clearance behind his helm for the Simrad.

Tim

Reese,

It seems to me, if you have to replace your cabel steering to accomidate a Auto Pilot you may want to consider Hydraulic steering. I replaced my cable steering last year with Hydraulic steering and it was a night and day difference in the handling of the Baha. I also had a Simrad AP24 installed at the same time. AP 24 talks to the Garmin 4208 and to my Furno Fish Finder. It has botton tracking via the fish finder and will go anywhere the GPS tells it to go. Really a nice feature during samon season when all you have to do is enter the watpoints and set up a route.

Reese, I would check with Clint Samson, Water Craft Clinic, he did the install on my boat. He did a neat, clean, well thought out Profession install. The system works flawlessly. I could not be happier .

Hooked On U ..... Out

Larry

Tim,

I can only vouch for my experience with Simrad. Initally, I had many questions about their AP's. I called there Service Department many times and spoke with their technicians to help me determine which Auto Pilot was the correct one for my needs. I was greeted very professioinally and all of my questions were answered in a prompt professional fashion. Other than the QUALITY of their products it was their SERVICE DEPARTMENT that made me comfortable selecting their product.

Hooke On U ..... Out

Larry

Just thought I’d join in on the topic because I’m also in the process of replacing both my steering and autopilot and want to share some of my thoughts.

A little background first.

I bought a King AP2000 Autopilot helm mounted unit back in 1991 and installed it in my then 19' Thundercraft runabout. It had a rack cable system in it. After a few years of use I have to replace the steering because it was starting to wear and get sloppy. Put in a new Telflex rack and used that boat `till I bought a new boat (19' Arima Hardtop) in Feb of 2002. Took the King out of the Thundercraft, sent it to the repair center in Florida to have it overhauled and installed it in the new boat before it ever hit the water. Steering system in the new boat was a Telflex no-feedback rack. The “no-feedback†feature was worn out two seasons ago and my trusty old King got tired at the end of Sept this past season so that is why I’m replacing both now.

From what I’ve experienced I have this to offer. The cable type steering systems are on a limited life cycle with autopilot because of the amount of correction the autopilot puts on the boat to hold course. The heavier the seas the more the correction to a point were there is almost constant movement in the steering head & cable. A lot more movement than if being steered my a human. So because I’ve already worn out a couple cable systems my new steering will be hydraulic, probably a Telflex Baystar for my size boat.

So now what Autopilot do I get? I’ll be doing my own install so I would like something that doesn’t require a machine shop to custom fabricate hoses & parts to make the unit work. Simrad gets a pretty nod for most of the guys here and most of the satisfied users have the Helm or cable steering type. Those with the hydraulic versions are getting mixed reviews form the guys here on LOU. My biggest concern is getting tech support if needed also known as customer service. Simrad gets failing grades in that department (sort of like Lorwance ). If you get a good unit great, if not your in for a nightmare so I’m kind of shying away from them. The Raymarine Sport Pilot X5 has caught my attention even though it had some design/engineering problems when it first cane out in spring of 2009. Only heard about a couple guys that have it and no negative comments yet. The main reason that I’m leaning toward the Raymarine products is because of their customer support. From my experience they are absolutely tops.

The last thing any of us want is to tear apart our boat once fishing season starts and tech support leaves you hanging( or is it high & dry) but things do happen. So I guess the bottom line is go with whomever you have confidence.

Gray Fox,

I'll chime a bit b/c I have a Raymarine unit - the new X-5 Sportpilot. I have an '08 Trophy 2152 with cable steering and the helm is very tight. I was hesitant to put a Simrad in there b/c I didn't want to cut a hole in my cuddy behind the helm. I bought the unit last year and used it the entire season despite a recall in July. The X-5 was recalled last year b/c of "locking" issues, but they have now fixed the problem and have already replaced my unit. I absolutely LOVE the unit, but I think some of this excitement is b/c I LOVE having an autopilot. Here's some of my thoughts:

- excellent customer service at Raymarine - within 5 minutes I am ALWAYS talking to a human being, not a machine

- excellent dealer network

- Autopilot is an easy install - about two hours start to finish with excellent instructions

- Mounts to a cable steering system (very few options otherwise)

- Excellent electronics with good interface with your GPS for navigation

- The unit held great in 4-6 foot seas

- Can be used on a boat with very little space under the helm

Dislikes:

- Reasonable amount of "steer/counter-steer" when engaged. This can be adjusted with system calibration, but it is a little tricky

- It's a bit noisy

Overall, it's one of the best investments I have ever made - it allows me to fish very comfortably when alone or when we only have a two man crew.

I fish out of I-Bay (Mayer's), you can stop by any time to see it in action if you'd like.

Good luck,

- Chris

Tim,

I can only vouch for my experience with Simrad. Initally, I had many questions about their AP's. I called there Service Department many times and spoke with their technicians to help me determine which Auto Pilot was the correct one for my needs. I was greeted very professioinally and all of my questions were answered in a prompt professional fashion. Other than the QUALITY of their products it was their SERVICE DEPARTMENT that made me comfortable selecting their product.

Hooke On U ..... Out

Larry

Larry,

Don't get me wrong I love my Simrad AP14R and when I bought mine 3 years ago, the Customer Service Department was absolutely great and seper helpful when I had to order a bezel kit.

The ownership has changed since I bought mine, to Navico and from everything I've heard, the quality at the Customer Service Dept there now sounds a lot like the many horror stories you hear about the CSD at Lowrance.

As a former Sportpilot+ owner, I still think the Simrad is far and away, the best cable steered AP on the market, but it is a major investment to have crappy CS if you need help.

Tim

Pete,

I'm not sure what's going on with Raymarine, but the bankruptcy may only affect their UK Division (Raymarine, plc). Raymarine, Inc. is the Western Hemisphere division located in the US.

I'm sure it's the same company, but I'm not sure how the bankruptcy filing will affect the US division.

- Chris

It might sound callous but in the current business climate bankruptcy is almost a normal state of affairs, it's a transition state from one form of organization to another. The names may change, the banks involved may change but the B.S. goes on forever. In this case I really don't think I'd let it be a factor of major importance in making a choice. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Pete,

I'm not sure what's going on with Raymarine, but the bankruptcy may only affect their UK Division (Raymarine, plc). Raymarine, Inc. is the Western Hemisphere division located in the US.

I'm sure it's the same company, but I'm not sure how the bankruptcy filing will affect the US division.

- Chris

Chris you very well may be right, and hopefully all is well with the corporation. But as far as I could tell the Raymarine stock is traded on the LSE(UK) and nowhere else. I may have missed something, or that may not have any impact on the US operation at all. I just don't know

Anyway I just wanted to raise the issue so someone didn't get stuck with a product that may not be honored in the future.

Cmon spring :yes:

Pete,

Raytheon trades on the NYSE (symbol RTN), but Raymarine trades on the UK side I think. Who knows?????

Later,

- Chris

Disclaimer - I have no personal or financial ties to Raytheon or Raymarine