Autopilot recommendation

Gray Fox

I sent a email to Raymarine this morning and in true form their response was quick. Names were X'ed out but available if need be.

Customer (XXX stingerXXX)01/28/2010 10:11 AM

I'm getting ready to purchase a SmartPilot X-5 Sport Pilot and in a fishing forum that I participate in a member mentioned that your company is going bankrupt.

My question is are you in fact going bankrupt and will Raymarine be going out of business. My fear is that once I buy your products there will be no customer support if I have problems with your products.

Thanks,

Discussion Thread

Response (XXXXXXXX)01/28/2010 11:50 AM

Raymarine is not going bankrupt, and although I can't guarantee anything (like any other company in this economy) our company is as strong as any company in the marine industry, and I don't foresee our company going out of business and we at Raymarine are looking for a great upcoming year!

Unless you need missiles, You want Raymarine.
:lol:

I remember back during desert storm, I had a Raytheon LORAN/sonar combo unit, I think a Echonav 730 model, I needed some help with. I called Raytheon and they immediately asked if the call was government or domestic related. I guess I should have said I was calling about a high speed guidance system for a rocket (my bayliner and force engine :rofl: ) ....cause then they put me on hold forever since I said I was a domestic fisherman.....hold please, CLICK....hold ..hold.hold...end of game, blip. ;(

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I was in florida this past week and i stopped in to a marina near tampa that was recommended as they set-up hundreds of auto pilots every year and the guy recommended the simrad 24 and the sitex sp 80. You know it's a small world as the head rep use to live in Point breeze. Just a quick note on raymarine the guy said he doesn't recommend them right now as they are unsure about their future, so looks like they weren't totally truthful with you stinger

Thanks for your field report Matt. I still haven't made a purchase yet but will need to by mid March. Boat will be coming out of storage and into the shop for a new steering system and autopilot.

Navico made the AP12 before they bought Simrad. I had one on my '97 Lund, and still have it in my basement.

I purchased a new Simrad Ap12r two years ago and they are identical. The navico had an intermittent problem in the circuit board so I retired it for parts ( the control, compass and motor). I served well for ten years. Prior to that, I only got one year of trouble free operation from Sportpilot plus and a $350 annual bill to "fix it" the next two years. (Thanks Raymarine)

My vote is for Simrad.

As far as I know, there are only two available A/P made for mechanical steering. Does anyone know of others?