downrigger wingers

This is my first year running four riggers. Usually just ran two. What I'm using are the shark weights. They have an adjustable tail to fan the outer riggers farther out. Also, they are supposed to track a lot better in turns than the conventional ball. I checked out a site that had the wingers you are talking about. If you already have cannonballs, I would say go ahead and try them. They don't look too expensive and should work just fine. Only thing I would consider is the additional blow back from not just the cannonball, but the winger as well. If you are looking into options, I would also check out the adjustable shark weights and make a choice from there. Wish I could help out more! :beer::yes:

What I'm using are the shark weights. They have an adjustable tail to fan the outer riggers farther out. Also, they are supposed to track a lot better in turns than the conventional ball.

The 12lb and 20lb versions track the best. The 15's have a tendency to spin especially on the way down. It has to do with the size of the tail in reference to the body. They still track pretty good, but in the rough stuff it isn't uncommon to get your line spun around the cable for a blacks release set-up.

I'll try to get a pic of the weights I'm using on here. Can't find them anywhere. Came with the boat. They are like a cross between a shark and a torpedo. Think of a torpedo with a high back. Hopefully in another month or two I'll be able to tell you how they work! :clap:

I don't want no spinning!!!! :@

• 3 months later...

We added wingers 2 years ago they make a world of difference, 100 feet down it spreads things out. In rough water we used to get tangled up quick. We haven't had that problem since the wingers. Anyone with 4 riggers on a smaller boat should have them. We run a 20 foot penn yan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I found them on the website "greatlakeplaners.com". They are around $34 per side.

Not only do they sell the wingers, but also build very high quality planer reel masts, multiple rod holders, rocket launchers, etc. Very nice products!

I wonder where they got that design. A friend of mine who fishes out of Henderson used to make them exactly like that back in the mid 90's or so. I still have some that he gave me. I also have a cast-aluminum set that used to be available but I haven't seen them available anywhere lately. I don't fish without my wingers. If someone wants to try out a set and doesn't want to spend the $ for a new set, I have a set of weighted plastic ones that I used to use before my friend gave me the aluminum ones. I'd sell the set for $25 including USPS priority shipping to the US side of the Lake Ontario area. Here's a picture of them:

BiQki.jpg

• 1 month later...

24,i purchased a pair of wingers from glp last year.wish i had bought them years ago!!they are awesome.tony at glp is great to deal with.top notch customer service.

i like the glo fish bone decale they put on it,great attractor.

:yes::yes:

mike

bought mine at Henchnens in henderson harbor...they do spred things out.. but remember to add around 15 ft. to your cable lenghts to hit desired depth that is if your below 100 ft. (15 % loss in depth) the ones i run track out far enough that i loose them on the fishfinder.have not crossed cables when i have been running them nor have i seen them spin. i run scottie riggers so they go down very fast. only down side that i have seen is when i'm running double dipsy's and forget to move the inside deep dipsy to the forward rod holder. if you do it twice like i have you wont forget the third time. BIG time tangle...