Smelly Jelly?

Don't do it! I tried the paste stuff a couple of years ago and it just about ruined my flies. They got real sticky, smelly and crappy. Never again. I think when your dealing w/ that much water volume in the lake it doesn't make that much difference. This is just my opinion.

I fish the north shore of L. Ont. out of Wellington. We run a lot of Rockets & have found that the pink Smelly Jelly paste is dynamite. I've tried both the herring(blue) & the anchovy(green) with little success. The pink is called " special mixture, salt & glitter". It lasts for hours!! Last year I tried mixing herring oil with the plastic just before pouring. Smelled great. Never caught a fish on it. Put on a rocket with no scent & started to catch fish. I tried the rocket which was impregnated with herring oil several times with the same result- notta. As soon as I changed to a no scent rocket, I started catching fish. Yet , the pink smelly jelly works wonders. Go figure!!

Ok, seems like there are a lot of mixed opinions about the stuff so I think I will try a small jar of the pink smelly jelly and stink up my boat a little. Worst case senario I might have to explain to the wife what woman I had out in my boat!!! It's worth the heart ache if it helps catch more fish!! :P:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the mid 60's a well known guide berthed his boat next to mine and one day while having a beer with him I discovered a small bottle of liquid in his gear. When I asked what it was he told me fish attractant. When I asked if it worked he said " it works for me I sold $5000 worth at the Sportsman Show"($5000 was a lot of money in 1965) When I asked what it was he told me cod liver oil.

45 years later my wife makes me take a cod liver oil capsul every morning and I catch my share of fish so maybe it is an attractant.

I have used anise scents for many years. Back in the 80's my buddy bought anise seeds at a deli supply company and we would grind them up make a paste and add to our roe bags.

It is one of the ingrediants in the Smelly Jelly that I use on the M.C. Rockets. Works for me.

Al

• 2 months later...

Don't put it on your flies; use it on the paddle. I put a thin film on the inside of spoons and on my paddles. You can even put it on your balls but, they might become a real hand full. I use the yellow as recommended by several good charters on the east end.

Don't put it on your flies; use it on the paddle. I put a thin film on the inside of spoons and on my paddles. You can even put it on your balls but, they might become a real hand full. I use the yellow as recommended by several good charters on the east end.

Jekyll loves this stuff so much, he even puts it on his sandwiches!!! :lol:

I have been known to use it from time to time, but I don't put it on my lures. When I use it, I like the apply it to my downrigger weights.

I'll be running a lot of Big Weenie's new meat rigs this year with MC Rockets and I'll be trying the Pink Smelly Jelly with the Rockets. Big Weenie just put their new "Squid Rigs" on the website and they are gonna kick a$$ this year. The squid rigs paired up with MC Rockets are gonna be a killer combo for the big kings we have in Lake O this year :yes:

I use the pink smelly jelly on everything but flies. I will rub a little on the flashers/dodgers. Goes on all spoons all the time. I dont necessarly believe the attractant part but when my crew keeps bringing raw onions on board, I like to mask our scent a bit.

RR