New to me boat

Finally found a Penn Yan 288 Predator in my price range, the seller took almost 30 % less than the asking price, cant wait to get it set up and fishing the waters of Lake Erie, There are some damn good buys on boats at this time if your not in a hurry and do lots of looking

100_0274.JPG

100_0277.JPG

Gray beard

Great Boat-congdarulations !!!!!! What year?

LOVE the Penn Yans!!!! Give some details. Come with trailer ? and how many hours on motors? LAST how much UNDER 40 K did you get it for? THanks, GOOD LUCK WITH HER THIS YEAR.

JERRY

RUNNIN PENN YAN REBEL

The boat is a 1987, no trailer, but Im going to build a yard trailer before it gets splashed, the boat was repowered with about 700 hours on the motors now. I looked at it last fall and was impressed with the condition for its age , now for the BIG question____________________________26 under 40k

Nice ride GB! Welcome to the Penn Yan cult. There are a few little things with the hull design that you have that you'll want to look out for. Water runs to the middle of the boat, not out the back like most boats. You're going to want to make sure that the bilge pump down in the cuddy is always working. That's where the majority of the water will accumulate. Also, Penn Yan did a terrible job with the weep holes in the stringers on these boats. You're going to want to keep a close eye on them, especially the ones in the outside stringers under the engines. They plug up with gunk easily and don't allow water to run freely under the stringer, and subsequently are very prone to rot. Make sure you keep them clean.

Other than that, Penn Yan did a great job with the boats and I'm sure you'll love it!

Billy, this is Penn Yan #2 for me, I had the 26 on here that sold back in November, the 26s tend to run the water to the front too, I added 350lbs of ballast to my 26 to make it sit level at rest, If this boat sits bow down it will get the same treatment, on my 26 ride and handling improved big time especially in a following sea, after the addition of the ballast, TJ Amato told a few friends of mine to ballast these 28s upwards of 1000lbs at the outboard stringers to improve ride and handling, Ill add 300lbs at a time till I get the resting and running attitude Im looking for

I used to have a 24' penn yan cuddy cabin flying bridge. Yanked the 350 out of it and put in a little 4 cylinder perkins diesel. 28 hp if I remember right. Maxed out at 8 mph. Could troll all day idling and only burn 1/4 gallon diesel an hour though! Worked great for trolling fingerlakes. Thing I hated was that tunnel drive. Could never get used to it. Practically no steering in reverse and you had to be motoring it to steer forward. Other than that, was an excellent fishing platform!