Downrigger Preference why?

FISHSTALKER

I certainly don't intend for my question to start the usual mine is better than yours arguments.

There are a lot of downriggers marketed today and in different areas of the Country one brand may be more preferred over another. I have had hands on experience with Scotty and Cannon but have never had a hand on any other brand. I happen to own two sets of Cannons. (The mag 10's and DT20"s.)

I believe that my interest is in the build quality and the long time service of the rigger. An example is that on my older Mag 10's I had to replace a toggle switch. Now keep in mind these riggers must be 20+ years old now. I've seen ads for Walkers and other brands and have a curiosity what you guys prefer.

I've seen the Bert's track system and may choose to install that on my big boat.

I have only ever had direct experience with three brands, Cannon, Penn and Walker. I can tell you that I will never own another set of Walkers again. They just had bad design features. We had to keep a took kit on the boat and do a "preflight" check to make sure everything was tight. We had two, and the biggest problem was both handles loosened up and fell over the side. We ended up putting long bolts on just to have something to grip, but man it hurt the hands. I went with Cannons this time because other then electrics needing something here or there I have never heard of a manual blow up. As for the Penn's, I would love to own another set of them. I just can't justify the price. It's not like they have any better or worse features then the Cannon's.

• 2 weeks later...

Cut my teeth on scotties, used cannons twice and just did'nt like the idea of useing the motor for both power down and up, So I got 2 scotty 1116's for my boat and love the extend ability as well as the swivel base. Warrenty and reliability top of the line. IMO :yes:

I agree with Seasquirrel. I've had Zero problems with my Scotties and I've never heard of anyone breaking a belt. A tackle shop in Fairhaven that works on a couple different brands of downriggers told me that he rarely ever gets a Scotty rigger in for repair. He highly recommended them!

Brian

Just for the record, another very happy Scotty owner here. I've never heard of ANYONE, EVER having a drive belt break either. I was previously a cannon owner (old Mag 10A's) and they were fine, but slow. The Scottys are super fast, super reliable and are easily the fastest setting riggers you'll ever use.

Tim

I've personally run Invaders,Cannons, and Scottys.

* The Invaders were manuals with a fast retrieve,but the counters were spring driven and the depth readings had to be constantly adjusted,and the springs would break and fly overboard.

* Ran Cannon electrics for years and years,and they held up very well considering how much use and abuse they got.Only had to replace a few switches and pulley boom ends over the years.Hated the cheesy plastic adjusting rings on the telescopic booms,but overall a great rigger for me.I just think the pricing went way to high on them.

* On my current boat I have gone with four Scotty electrics with the telescopic booms and dual rod holders.They are(for me anyway)the best bang for the buck.They are very fast,222 feet per min. with a 10lb ball, 203 ft/min 15lb ball, & 185 ft/min with a 20lb ball.They also have a lower amp draw than most others.

I also like the tilt up boom,and it has a much better telescopic adjustment feature than the Cannons.The swivel base has 16 positions.I like the simplicity of the bead driven short stop.No high cost printed circuit board to control the short stop,just a simple switch that trips by the bead.It took me a while to get used to the look of them,but now I think they look great.

Two things I don't like, are the very cheesy plastic locking lever that keeps the boom in the up position,and the non adjustable dual rod holders.I ended up adapting big Jon spring loaded ones to the rigger.

I have put these riggers through the wringer,and they have never failed.Friends who have been running them for years have had no significant problems.

I think most of the major brands are of good quality. Personal preference on minor likes and dislikes and what fits your needs best is usually the deciding factor on which is best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried most of them and Scottys win hands down........fast down and up........never had a cable backlash.............lifetime warranty on parts..............auto shut off is great and easy to adjust..................short lifts of even 1 foot is easy with push button control

I've used them all. I like the scottys by far. Backlash on cannons. Don't accidentally bump the switch. Hate the tip boom on big jons and places a kid could get a finger caught. Scottys service is great

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Funny, I hated the Scotty for the very same reason...way too jumpy, especially when you're trying to bring it up just a foot or two. I also disliked the tip up boom, the clutch spring wore out so the ball would drop like a stone if you didn't re-engage the clutch by hand, and the stop beads would slide if you brought the ball up through a weed bed. But the truth of the matter is that it's all personal preference. All of the rigger manufacturers are making quality products these days. None of them are perfect, but they all accomplish the task of raising and lowering the weight. FWIW the current model Cannons have a soft start that solves that jumpy issue.

All I've ever had were Cannons. I have no opinion on other brands. Soon were getting a couple digitrolls to replace some older ones on the boat. The new digitrolls have bottom tracking and have a retrieval rate of 250'/minute! You just need to purchase a special transducer to be able to do this.

I like Big Jon's. Used a couple other brands on other peoples boats but went with 2 big Jon's back in 1991 and stayed with them ever since. Added 2 more in 2002 because they fit my new boat well and other than replacing a motor on one (warranty) they have been pretty trouble free. I’m still using all four with the `91 pair being my inboard riggers are the primary ones meaning they go in first. I really don't have problems with the speed. I only run 10# & 12# balls an rarely go beyond 100' so speed isn't a issue with me. Just got used to retrieving while fighting fish or bring in lines.

I see that some don’t like the tilt up booms but to each his own. I don’t use the tilt up feature to set lines. I don’t like that either but I do use 2 riggers as power planers board masts in the spring & fall by moving a set forward on the gunnels and raising the boom up like so:.....> OtrX0.jpg

I'm sure owners of other brands have similar stories but BJ’s ( :lol:) have been good to me and after 19 years of reliable continued service why wouldn’t I stay with them?

BTW, I drive & own Fords since the `70's

Started with Riviera, and Mac jac. Have used Big jon, Penn, Walker, Scotty,Great Lakes, Invader, Luhr Jensen.(yes I have been at it awhile) They will all raise or lower a cannon ball.

I have had Cannon riggers on the boat for about the last 25 years. Started with manual, then mag 10a's now have (3) Mag 15's. (still use a mag 10 for the probe) I have older 6' booms on the gunnel riggers. Couldn't be more satisfied, they send the ball up and down, quickly, and work everyday. I also like the short stop better than the Scotty and like the counters better than BigJon or Penn. They will all do the job. I will have to try the Vector's soon, just to see.

Cannons here. Fastest on the market, METAL gears (not rubber belts), The descend is smooth and CONTROLLED, you can disingage the cluth and drop them like a Scotty if you really want (the power does not cost you anything so I don't know why power going down would bother anyone???), rod holders are adjustable to many angles up and down (not a one degree rod holder that only rotates), slim profile (width wise) takes up less room on the gunnels, you can have up to 4 rod holders on one cannon rigger, auto stop, positive ion control and great customer service. ;)