Newbie Meat Questions

OK spoon puller here. I've got some limited experience running flasher/flies, but none running meat in the big lake. My only meat experience is brining and wrapping herring strips on flatfish to backtroll in AK. I have a few questions:

(1) What is your preferred method to preserve/prepare Alewives? The cost of purchasing bait seems way high in light of how many of the little buggers are out there.

(2) Bait heads vs. whole rigged alewives - how do I rig/fish both and is there a preference most folks have one way or the other?

(3) Tipping flies with strips - does it kill the action/affect the spin? Good idea?

Thanks for any help! I'm clueless as to preferred speeds, flashers v. dodgers with meat, etc.

Jarrett

Hey Jarret, I cant help you running meat without a head but to run meat as most do on the great lakes all you need is a meat rig and flasher. The meat rigs and there a several brands but most come with a bead chain and are built to the right length just snap it on a flasher. You can run it right with the flies or spoons in your spread just remember that the larger the flasher the more arc so dont run them right next to each other. I think you will have great succes with them.We sell alot to the west coast and guys love the fact they dont have to cut the bait just right to get it to roll. For bait you can but, herring, alewives etc, get a sabiki rig and catch bait when you see it. I know guys who use coho bellys, smelt from the grocery store and fake bait also. We have slick strips on the site that are made by a charter capt that has been selling on Lake O for years. Good luck and feel free to call if I can help, BW

http://shop.bigweeniebrand.com/category ... egoryId=48