Asian carp.

W.W.IV.

GAMBLER if they get into the great lakes they will destroy the walleye fishing as well and even if they don't starve out all of the walleyes you woun't be able to fish for them cause every time you try to say run up river you'll get hit in the face!! like shade siad Check Mate!!

I'm moving to the ocean if they get in and take over thats what i recomend.

Also i would recomend getting out of new york state because if the carp take over no one is going to buy fishing licences and without that money new york state will collapse in on itself, cause remember the DEC makes a profit its just that they take all of the money and send it to welfare and new york city and govermental peoples pockets.

Sorry RangerRyan but i'm just tierd of heiring that it wount destroy the fishery its just going to decrease it, but hey we are going to charge you even more for a licence anyway.

GAMBLER I hate to break this to you, but a if they get into lake ontario they will get into everything!!! And there is another BIG thing everyone is over looking if we lose the lakes we lose everything!!! you have no idea how big of a trickle down effect this is going to have. everything that has to do with boats of any kind will go down, also you may think walleye fishing and stuff is a good idea but i hate to break it to you this will KILL the DEC that means lakes like Onidia and Chatachua (sorry about the spelling) aren't going to have walleyes in them because the dec want have enough money to stock. All this is going to effect the goverment of new york big time, there is going to be ALOT of money that is going to be taken out of the system.

When these carp get into the Great Lakes, & it's only a matter of time as I see it , no one knows for sure what will happen. It will most probably have a bad effect on the fishery but that remains to be seen. I think the fishery will survive somehow. Changed yes , but it will survive. Who knows , one of the next invasives may have a positive effect on the TRT & SAL.I would think Pike & Musky would be in all their glory. And if it's the end ,well it was fun while it lasted. We can play redneck baseball with the carp.Take up Saltwater.

GAMBLER I hate to break this to you, but a if they get into lake ontario they will get into everything!!! And there is another BIG thing everyone is over looking if we lose the lakes we lose everything!!! you have no idea how big of a trickle down effect this is going to have. everything that has to do with boats of any kind will go down, also you may think walleye fishing and stuff is a good idea but i hate to break it to you this will KILL the DEC that means lakes like Onidia and Chatachua (sorry about the spelling) aren't going to have walleyes in them because the dec want have enough money to stock. All this is going to effect the goverment of new york big time, there is going to be ALOT of money that is going to be taken out of the system.

Please explain to me how they would get into Conesus or Honeoye where I fish? The pike I fish in Conesus are not stocked. Yes some lakes will get invaded (through the Erie Canal). The DEC will not fold if they lose the fishery on Lake Ontario. There are plenty of other fisheries that will support the DEC. The license sales for fishing the rest of the state (Adirondacks, Catskills, Fingerlakes) can support the DEC. The money they would save in stocking and research from Lake Ontario would be offset. The DEC has been talking Gloom and Doom about Lake Ontario has been going on for years. Look at the fishery, it is still going strong. If it starts to kill Lake Michigan, then it is panic mode.

Well its like HAS BEEN siad, its either going to kill us or its not, but if it does which we will know by what happens to Michiagan. But i'm telling you Gambler its going to devestate the DEC lake ontario and erie are two most fished bodys of water in new york state by a long shot you lose them then there is a huge amount of people not buying licences, also anywhere there is zebbra AKA the finger lakes the carp will get to them to. Plus the DEC doesn't lose all of its money from doing tests on lake ontario it loses all of its money because the state takes it and sends it to welfare and stuff. trust me I'm an accountant so i know how money flows why do you think that the DEC can make a 3% profit every year yet have no money. by the way the walleyes in honeoye are stocked.

Trolling82 thats actually a great idea to do that with the boats, in principle I believe that they couldn't do a thing just like other protests but then agian they would probably find a justification to shoot us cause we are just a bunch of crazy fishermen and we don't mean a thing!!! which has been shown to us by the way they have handled the carp situation.

I've been woundering though has anyone else been thinking like have been how the heck they let the carp make it even this far they've been moving up the missippi since the 90's I mean I don't see how hard it would be to have stoped them when they where just in a river thats like a mile wide.

On the other hand i here that TUNA are kinda like salmon and fight unbelievably hard so hey if all goes bad here see you guys on the ocean.

Well its like HAS BEEN siad, its either going to kill us or its not, but if it does which we will know by what happens to Michiagan. But i'm telling you Gambler its going to devestate the DEC lake ontario and erie are two most fished bodys of water in new york state by a long shot you lose them then there is a huge amount of people not buying licences, also anywhere there is zebbra AKA the finger lakes the carp will get to them to. Plus the DEC doesn't lose all of its money from doing tests on lake ontario it loses all of its money because the state takes it and sends it to welfare and stuff. trust me I'm an accountant so i know how money flows why do you think that the DEC can make a 3% profit every year yet have no money. by the way the walleyes in honeoye are stocked.

Trolling82 thats actually a great idea to do that with the boats, in principle I believe that they couldn't do a thing just like other protests but then agian they would probably find a justification to shoot us cause we are just a bunch of crazy fishermen and we don't mean a thing!!! which has been shown to us by the way they have handled the carp situation.

I've been woundering though has anyone else been thinking like have been how the heck they let the carp make it even this far they've been moving up the missippi since the 90's I mean I don't see how hard it would be to have stoped them when they where just in a river thats like a mile wide.

On the other hand i here that TUNA are kinda like salmon and fight unbelievably hard so hey if all goes bad here see you guys on the ocean.

Zebra muscles were transported by boats (by live wells, bilges, trailers and water left in motors). When they are in the Larva stage, they can easily be transported by boats. The carp will not be able to be spread the same way. The only lakes they will get into are the ones connected to the Erie Canal (Seneca, Oneida, Cayuga and a couple others) Lake Ontario and Lake Erie.

It is like anything else. We are the minority. Do you really think that the longshoremen, the big businesses who use those locks or run their supplies up and down the river give a dam about fishing. If you took evey fishermen on Ontario and all the businesses that are going to be affected, we are out numbered 100 to one. I am not saying we should stop fighting, at least I am not. Unless we some powerful backing and support this will be like taking a knife to a gunfight.

We must keep yelling and fighting, but we need every fishermen, business owner and town legislators to tell as well. The scary part is out of the thosands of LOU members just look at how many are responding or voicing their support on this thread. It is really sad.

Shade

The carp may not neccesarly get into say honeoye but trickle down effect in the money which as we all have seen is very important is going to greatly effect everything more then anyone can predict trust me they want to cut back on this all the time just think of whats going to happen if these carp do, do what we think they will, bright side though here is that atleast we get to see what happends to Machigan first sorta like a ginny pig.

As far as enviromental terrorism goes sounds a little crazy in alot of ways but you never know. On of the big reasons other people around the world hate us so much is because of what we have so hey ruining our fishing is one taking something away that we enjoy so hey yea very may be possible and really we would never truely know.

And i think your right i dont think the the shippers and Polititians do realize what harm these fish can do. I mean if your not a fishermen you first of all don't care about what happends to the water and you more then likly don't reallize the effects that this carp can have.

Maybe improbable but not inconceivable:

- A bird could catch a small one in the canal then fly over a trib or inland lake & drop it. Really not that far-fetched when you consider that all our lakes were formed by glaciers & at one time had absolutely no fish in them. How’d the 1st fish get in that lake 10-20,000 yrs ago?

- Some animal/bird eat some (+eggs) then travel & barf.

- Some dumb a$$ fisherman catch one & try to use it’s eggs as bait somewhere else.

(No… birds do not carry fish eggs on their feet)

Lake Ontario is the state’s largest fishery; twice as many licenses are sold in the counties that border the great lakes than the others. This is an interesting report:

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/glsportf ... rt0609.pdf

Major drop-offs in license sales happened (1) when snagging was made illegal, (2) whenever contaminant scares happened. They say the major declines in license sales were due to losses in non-resident license sales on Big-O, not resident sales. (Interesting that back in ’06-07, they were predicting a license increase within 5 years)

DEC wouldn’t go broke but it’d be in a major funding hurt-locker if anything happened to the Big-O fishery. Big-O is supporting a lot of other fisheries around the state. We use 3? out of 12? hatcheries. (although we have the best with the best staff) :clap: Also until this last year, freshwater was paying for saltwater.

If carp got into Michigan and tried to spread, there are two natural barriers that I see that may hinder they’re spread: (1) they’d have to go around the northern tip of Michigan where some awful cold water from Superior enters the picture. (2) they’d have to cross Erie & it’s infamous “dead zone.â€

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Gad, I hate winter, come on Spring!

Well i'm thinking that maybe if the carp totally destroy michigian it actually maybe a good thing for us. cause first of all they are going to have to take over herion after michigain, then they have to come down the detriot river which maybe by then there will be a way inwhich to stop them cause i don't think there is anyway for them to get around from going down the detriot river but i could be mistaken. also like you siad they have to get around that cold water but from what i read in the paper the other day them things are in waters in china all the way up and into sebria. Also i don't think the die zone in lake erie will effect them they will totally destroy lake erie being shallow like it is.

Canada and the states boardering the lakes were pushing for the locks to be closed. Do you think Canada would shut down the Welland canal if the carp were close to Ontario? I would hope so, but I doubt it.

In order to get out of the 30's depression, the gov't put people to work on massive public projects & paid them for their efforts rather than just give money away. I personally think the current gov't needs to look at these. How many people would be hired building massive proper sewage treatment facilities for Chicago? How many people/truck drivers could be put back to work? Can't do it by rail-electric trains/trolleys? Alll they haul is garbage is garbage & coal anyways. Narrow canal, small boats & barges anyways.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Remember the hydro plant takes water in from the upper Niagara and fills their lake behind the turbines every three or four days. So the Welland canal is not the only place the carp can come into Ontario. So I wonder what the survival rate is for a carp going down the tubes to the turbines and out in the lower river? That lake has some fantastic perch fishing in it on the right days just before the refill happens.

Mark

All those public works projects were just window dressing to give people a few bucks to survive on. things did not really turn around untill 1939 when things got crazy over in Europe . We were a manufacturing superpower shiping just about everthing everywhere at that time.We need to be that manufacturing power once again. Also people were a little more self reliant back then cause they had to be. Then FDR gave them a free lunch and here we are today , BROKE. The Seaway system opened up the center of the country to the world and it prospered. It's to bad the rest happened to the lake biosystem. If you think the powers at be are going to shut it all down for a carp, dream on.

More confusing window dressing?

Yesterday (Sunday, March 21) the EPA released its' 5-year plan to rescue the Great Lakes damaged ecosystem from toxic contamination, lose of wildlife habitat and invasive species by spending $2.2 Billion dollars.

The EPA Plan targets a goal of ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for invasive species, specifically the Asian Carp threatening to enter Lake Michigan.

I'm confused, The Feds won't close the locks to keep the darn things out but WILL spend big $$$ to try and keep them out.

It's BS on her part full well knowing that those locks will never get closed for a carp.This is gamesmanship on her part to get re elected after being pro gun & now anti,one of the 7 senators to publicly still want to fund& support acorn etc. She is a snake oil salesperson. A genuine sellout. DO NOT fall for this and put her back in office.