Boat Insurance

muskybob

It's that time of year again and thought I"d do a little research. I did a search on boat insurance but didn't come up with anything helpful.

What boat insurance company would you suggest, and what is the approximate yearly rate either as basic coverage or with add-ons. Thanks for any info.

I was shopping around, as well, recently. I currently have Allstate, and while they are good, my annual bill premium went up almost $40 this year. Boat is older, yet premium went up. I found that BoatUS has some excellent plans available, directed specifically for anglers. All the angler plans offer tournament reimbursement, should you miss a derby due to a claim. Also have a lot of standard features and coverages which other companies charge you for. I had them do up a quote for my Islander 221 with all the fishing equipment, electronics, trailer, etc, and my annual quoted premium was $260 for the high-end angler's package. I'm probably going to switch to BoatUS shortly.

I definitely would! I didn't look at a ton of other insurance companies, but probably 5 others, aside from Allstate, and BoatUS just seemed to be much more oriented at the boater, where-as Allstate does boat, home, car, motorcycle, etc. BoatUS knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the downriggers, tackle, GPS, chartplotter, VHFx2, etc.

Last month, after reading other posts here on boat insurance I did a little research about my policy with Progressive. I found out that all of the electronics and autopilot are considered part of the boat and are included in the value of the boat and not the value of accessories like tackle, downriggers and the like. So I had to increase the value of my boat 6k to cover these items. I also made sure that the tackle would be completely covered. Be sure when shopping for insurance to ask a lot of questions as to what is covered and by what part of the policy. It will now cost me 25% more but at least if the worst happens I'll be able to replace everything.

High Bidder

320 a year for my islander with progressive. Full replacment value and all my gear up 10K on the gear. I'm not sure what the liability is but I know i went high on it. Like a 250k or so.

Ummmm I had to use it once. Thought my premiums would have gone up last year after the incident but thay actually went down. Not to mention I got excellent service after my wreck. I had a full replacement check 2 days after the situation and a new boat 5 days later. :yes:

RR

I have a 1998 Tracker Targa 2000 21' glass walleye boat with a Merc 250 hp outboard and Honda 15 hp kicker.I have Insurance for running Fishing Charters in NY,PA & Ohio by ACE Insurance Co. through Parsons Assoc. http://www.parsonsinsurance.com/

I have 1 million Liability & 500 thousand Medical per person,$50,000 set loss price on boat and motors,$10,000 on equipment,$3000.00 on boat trailer. No lay up period!This also includes Uninsured Operator Coverage of $50,000 incase someone without Insurance hits your boat.I also have a rider for Liability for Clients walking from their vehicle to the dock and into the boat for the Erie County Small Boat Harbor. Cost is $756 a year!

Then if you park your boat near your house remember to get a boat coverage rider on your house insurance incase of the house burning down and burning up your boat,regular insurance will usualy only cover if the fire started in the boat!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

http://www.mostlymuskies.com