stickbaits on riggers

i was wondering if anybody runs stickbaits off the riggers deep in the summer, i never hear anything about it, and was wondering if its a successfully used method ever as opposed to spoons? i'm sure some people run them when fish are up higher in the spring and fall but i've been tempted to send one down deep every now and then but never get around to it, any thoughts guys? brands? color? methods? i dont see why a big brown would eat one up top and refuse one 70ft down a month later?

well i didnt figure on them not working alltogether but i'm sure that most of the time spoons are the better option, but i like the fact that stickbaits have rattles for the deeper presentation. do you guys recommend any certain brand or pattern for the deeper presentation?

Stick baits are the most popular bait choice on the West coast. First test the Lure action next to the boat and establish the best boat speed for it. Then clip on and send it down the wire. Rapala F9's and Abu Garcia Tormentors (110 mm) have been big producers for me. ( Abus are not sold in this country.) Others are Thunder sticks and Trophy Sticks. If you plan on fishing deep for Lake Trout (150 - 200 feet ) I would recommend plastic bodies over Balsa wood. ( Compression will crack the finish )

I like to run the Rapala's down in the summer months. Usually anywhere from 35-75ft down and only 35ft back from the ball. This past year the Black back/silver belly, was by far the one that got the most! Good luck, and Spoonfed, I couldnt agree more! thinking about it? TRY IT!

but i'm sure that most of the time spoons are the better option

Not necessarily. There have been plenty of days that I watched Browns on the FF swim up to the spoons and not hit um and had that stickbait running behind take most of the fish for the day. Especially after the bite is over and the fish are shut down late in the morning on sunny days.

I like Rapala floaters in size 11 for this type of situation. They will run about 3 to 4 feet below the ball at 40 -60 ft lead.

Glen

Some of you may remember Rebel G-finish on their stickbaits in the early 90's. Great pearlescent color, but the paint would come off in chuncks. I used to run the jointed version on a four rigger set with long leads and catch Kings down 50' or so in June. I think the attraction of spoons over sticks is if there is any weeds or fleas on the front of a stickbait.....it ain't going to catch a thing. Also, there is not a whole lot of flash/pull from afar so you have to know you are over fish.