Picking up D.R. balls on fish finder

How many of you prefer to pick up your downrigger balls on your fish finders? And, is there any benefit to this?

I've tried tweaking my fish finder, and I just cannot seem to pick the balls up.. Any suggestions? I have a Garmin 240 Fish Finder.

Thanks gents! :beer:

How many of you prefer to pick up your downrigger balls on your fish finders? And, is there any benefit to this?

I've tried tweaking my fish finder, and I just cannot seem to pick the balls up.. Any suggestions? I have a Garmin 240 Fish Finder.

Thanks gents! :beer:

First drop the riggerball down while you are not moving if you dont see it then you got problems. Then if you do tilt your trasducer back slightly you should pick it up. Might be a transducer problem I pick up the rigger balls, the sliders, and the probe.

Raider, the rigger weights will make a line across the screen. If you don't see the lines created by the weights you are either running light weights and getting a lot of blow back or more likely you have a sonar unit which is just not designed for high demand trolling applications.

Here is a screen shot from my old Garmin 250 duel Freq. from about 5 years ago.

You'll see 4 riggers, bait ball and some fish looking for a easy meal.

jL5oS.jpg

The two lower streaks are thicker lines because those weights are 10LB fish weighs with the fins on the sides, = more reflected signal = thicker lines. The thiner upperstreaks are 10lb TrueTrac balls with a less reflected signal because of the shape.

Left hand side of the screen is 50KHZ (much wider cone angle), right hand side is 200KHZ. On the left hand side, the broad lines across the screen are the downrigger weights, other lines (arches are fish) & there is a streaker fish after the top rigger. I told my buddy to watch that pole & sure enough it popped & we had a nice low 20 lb salmon on. Good sonar will greatly increase your success fishing. Be sure to get the dual transducer option, & you will have the best of both worlds. My sonar reads bottom cruising at 35 mph to depths of 500', & will also show bait & fish.

SalmomMexicoPt8-27-09014.jpg