Big Gull Lake

fishbone

I just booked a week at Camp's on Big Gull lake. This will be my first fishing trip to Canada. Is anyone familiar with these cabins and the lake? I'm a bit nervous since it's a bit of travel (from Pa), time and money....hoping not to be disappointed.

When is the Black Fly season?

Not sure about the cabins, but the lake is pretty descent for Walley, pike and bass. There is also a population of Musky more towards the west end of the lake. We would do good on walley drifting minnows or trolling worm harnesses. Get a topo map of the lake and fish the shoals and around the many islands. Black flys are bad in Late May and June. Get familiar with the lake before you go and remember only gas is at the west end of the lake.

Fishbone, never stayed at Camp's Bay but for years stayed at Holiday Haven on the east end and the last 10 years Kirk's Cove on the west. As Time Out said try to get a topo, it could save you a lower unit. We strictly fished for eyes dragging clean crawlers on/near shoals and took good #'s. Bow mount trolling motors and sonar bow and stern enabled pinpoint boat control.

Dear Fishbone,

This lake in eastern Ontario is "a Canadian Shield Lake" This means lots of rock bottom and many "pinnacle" hard bumps for your lower unit. By all means get a chart of the lake showing shoals and rocks! Caution, Canadian Charts are very PRICEY $$$$$! Ask and seek for the LAKE CHART long before you go! Black flies in this area die off when ever the temp. gets to 60F for a couple days then the mosquitos start! Bring the best repellent you can find with you!! Taking Vitamin B12 in large doses before you get there can lessen the effect of bug bites especially black fly bites!! Research the web on B12 for your own protection!! Take spare parts and tackle with you. Availibilty & Prices are very high in the north Country! Enjoy the fishing and the outdoor experience. Ontario has much to offer for the outdoorsman!

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill 23' Aluminum Jet Boat (Stanley)

(Built in Ontario, Canada)

(Outfitted in NYS/USA)

Fishbone, I have fished up there in May, June, July, Aug, and Sept. Throughout the day the "skeeters" weren't much of a problem if you were out on the water. They are nasty early in the morning when heading to the dock but not as bad once you got out on the water. You could often here them coming right at dusk but most often I was already heading in. Get the boat docked and head to the cabin quick!!

Kirk's Cove has gas at the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fishbone, out family been going up to Big Gull for many many, years. It is a very nice lake. No black flies in July but you can set your watch to the mosquitoes around dark. It is best to head inside once you see the first one , it will get nasty very quickly. Although after a few hours they die down.

There is gas at Camps Bay and also Kirk Kove. Most rocks in the main lake are marked but when you are close to any shore it is best to use a electric. Heading west though the narrows stay left!!

Camp's bay has been fixed up nice in the last few years but the new owners will try and nickel and dime you to death. That is one reason we do not stay there any more. Also bring up as much beer and tobacco as you dare as the prices are outrages( $50 a case).I guess they have to pay for there socialized healthcare some how :) .

West bay is a good place to start fishing. That is though the narrows where it opens up. It is relatively shallow with a lot of weeds that hold all kinds of fish.Mid July they all should be hitting. Good luck, I am sure you will have a great time.

Hi fishbone, out family been going up to Big Gull for many many, years. It is a very nice lake. No black flies in July but you can set your watch to the mosquitoes around dark. It is best to head inside once you see the first one , it will get nasty very quickly. Although after a few hours they die down.

There is gas at Camps Bay and also Kirk Kove. Most rocks in the main lake are marked but when you are close to any shore it is best to use a electric. Heading west though the narrows stay left!!

Camp's bay has been fixed up nice in the last few years but the new owners will try and nickel and dime you to death. That is one reason we do not stay there any more. Also bring up as much beer and tobacco as you dare as the prices are outrages( $50 a case).I guess they have to pay for there socialized healthcare some how :) .

West bay is a good place to start fishing. That is though the narrows where it opens up. It is relatively shallow with a lot of weeds that hold all kinds of fish.Mid July they all should be hitting. Good luck, I am sure you will have a great time.

Thanks for the info. I received my Traksmap and can see many buoy markers for rock. The west lake looked interesting. I'm glad you confirmed what I thought would be some good water to try.

What did you mean about nickle/diming at Camps Bay? Once the cabin rent is paid, what else could be chargeable?

Hi again Fishbone, nothing big but they will hit you for a dock fee if you bring your own boat . Also a charge to plug in your electric motor battery, firewood for your camp fire etc. Personally I would rather have them charge more for the camp up front and not try and hit you for the little things. A pet peeve of mine is they give you a coupon for a free ice-cream cone when you fill up with gas . Well if you have a family or group , are you going to get one ice-cream cone? I guess I am a little to frugal but it is not like the old days.

When you are up there check out Kirk kove. It is east of there around the Pinical point . Nice people and nice place to stay. Don't get me wrong as you will have a GREAT time at Camps Bay but there are other places on the lake also. I have years of great memories at Camps Bay.

Look up " Ken Black "when you are there. He can give you all the information you could ever need about the lake. There will also be a lot of folks from PA. staying there also.

West Bay has a deep area as you enter from the east, down to about 28' . The rest of the bay is all under 12'deep. Lots of weeds and lots of fish. Good luck and if you have any other questions as you can read I love to talk about the place, Jim

Hi again Fishbone, nothing big but they will hit you for a dock fee if you bring your own boat . Also a charge to plug in your electric motor battery, firewood for your camp fire etc. Personally I would rather have them charge more for the camp up front and not try and hit you for the little things. A pet peeve of mine is they give you a coupon for a free ice-cream cone when you fill up with gas . Well if you have a family or group , are you going to get one ice-cream cone? I guess I am a little to frugal but it is not like the old days.

When you are up there check out Kirk kove. It is east of there around the Pinical point . Nice people and nice place to stay. Don't get me wrong as you will have a GREAT time at Camps Bay but there are other places on the lake also. I have years of great memories at Camps Bay.

Look up " Ken Black "when you are there. He can give you all the information you could ever need about the lake. There will also be a lot of folks from PA. staying there also.

West Bay has a deep area as you enter from the east, down to about 28' . The rest of the bay is all under 12'deep. Lots of weeds and lots of fish. Good luck and if you have any other questions as you can read I love to talk about the place, Jim

Your comments are encouraging. I would like this to become a lake we return to each year. I hate hooking up with new places where the "screwed factor" looms, requiring reading between the lines of brochures. I was looking at the map again, yesterday, when I realized the depths were marked in meters. LOL That was a relief after thinking the Little Gull was too shallow to get around in. Thanks.

Ron

Fishbones, one thing we use to do with the kids on shore at Camps Bay was put a small perch ( not many perch in the lake but a lot of sunnys/ bluegills) or sunfish on a big hook or quick strike rig under a large bobber. It was always a lot of fun with Northern's. Jim

Fishbones, one thing we use to do with the kids on shore at Camps Bay was put a small perch ( not many perch in the lake but a lot of sunnys/ bluegills) or sunfish on a big hook or quick strike rig under a large bobber. It was always a lot of fun with Northern's. Jim

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. There are enough Northerns buzzing around for that to provide action?

Ya Bones, not a lot of big ones but still fun to catch. Wherever you find some weeds they seem to be. We would snip the tail on the bluegill so it sends out distress signals I guess. It is fun to watch a bobber when your on shore around the camp fire.

Wow you guys are congering up some good ole memories. My family used to go up there in the seventies and eighties and we had a field day on the pike with the little perch under a bobber.. That was till an OPP Officer walked down the dock one day and asked my father to open up his minnow pail and it was full of small perch.. A little fast talking and a son used as a scapegoat kept us out of trouble..... Woody