Scotch Bonnet Gap

Gill-T

I was looking at bathmetry maps of Lake O, and noticed the scotch bonnet gap feature off Sandy Creek or the Oak? That feature has got to do some funky things to the current in the lake. Is the fishing good around the gap?.......what time of year is good to trailer the boat up there?

Dear gill-T,

The location of the deepest part of the S.B. gap was an excellent spot in the 1980's (during July & August) when wind conditions and high water temps on the US side put the bait in the top 100 ft. of water. We used to run there from Braddocks or Roch. Harbor since the actual gap is located closer to the US side. Also fished the Canadian side of the S.B. Ridge but finding bait was a problem. Lots of current over there, but very time consuming finding bait pods. The best spot on the Canadian side was Mulcaster Patch...about 15 miles SE of Cobourg...8 miles offshore... water depth 15 ft. The shoal is about 10 to 15 acres in size and dropped off rapidly to 175 to 250 ft. around it. Brought 10 Chinook to the weigh in station one day (fishing two rods, Old Canadian Rules) in Port Hope, Late July, 1990. BUT recent summer trips to the S.B gap have not been very productive for me or a few friends. The current cost of fuel & expenses leaves this quests to the few who have the loot to spend $400 a day for fuel. I now fish the WEST end of the lake, since the Chinook & Rainbows seem to like the area and blowoffs are seldom!!

Sincerely, Jet Boat Bill

Thanks for the response borderline. It is difficult to find deep water with current to keep fish active. The gap feature seems like the current would be ripping thru the feature making it a nice late/day spot.

Gill-T.

I know where the Scotch Bonnet Island is, as I now fish out of Wellington and I ran a charterboat out of Brighton during the late 80s. Where is the Scotch Bonnet Gap from the Island ? I would check my charts but they are in the boat in storage.

Is it the long shoal about 6 miles south of the Bonnet Light island ?

If that is the area it was hot for 3 weeks in early august.

Later

Al

Gill-T

I've never fish the Scotch Bonnet Gap, however as a kid we used trailer around the pound to Wellington and fish the Scotch Bonnet Shoal. Usually mid to late July, depending on weather conditions of that season were the best times. Great mid summer salmon fishing. Lots of bait and salmon hanging around the structure that's there. A double was not an unusual thing, and that was under the old rules as stated by BoarderLine. I haven't been over since 1993, and as you know the lake is a completely different animal now from what is was then.

Would be fun to try it.

Good luck!

Thanks Tom,

I kind of checked that out yesterday a figured that is where it must be.

Do you see the shoal that runs north/south just east of the i and e in the word Ridge. We call that shoal the Dog Bone and fish there a lot in August. About a 20 mile run out of Wellington.

Jolly II, the Scotch Bonnet shoal is still hot, hot, hot in July.

If you ever head over again drop me a line.

Al

Trannyman,

Would love to make a run straight accross from Sandy Creek someday, just need to find a brave enough crew, LOL, and stay a few nights right there in Wellington.

We fished the Bone a couple of times and did well there too. We fished out of my Uncle's big brown Starcraft. Kept the boat in a slip at Wellington at a sort of bed and breakfast place with a couple different cottages right there in the harbor. The gentleman's name was Tommy. I forgot his wife's name. I belive they were Irish. I remember the breakfast was as good as the fishing, and at night we had poached salmon fillets and home fries.

BOY!! I really need to go back there, LOL

I'll let you know when I'm coming!!