Seneca Perch???

luv2fish

Hey guys, I got the boat out of storage today and hope to hit Seneca later this week for perch. I have fished them in the summer over there, but never this time of year. I know perch fishermen are sometimes more tight lipped than the fish are, but does anyone have some suggestions for me? I will be launching on the North end at the public launch (i hope), and can probably only fish them for a day or two this spring. If the weather is good I will hit anywhere within the first 10 miles of the lake if its worth it. Ive heard glass factory bay and possibly reeds bay, but thats all I know. Fatheads, jigs/spikes or what??? Depth 15-40??? PM me if you dont want everyone else in on it ;) Thanks in advance!

Dan

Get a witching stick, some 40wt. ball bearings, minnows, oak leaf bugs, night crawlers, swirl tails, buck tail jigs, & a case of beer or any combination of the above. NONE of this will work, ... you'll catch nothing but a buzz from the beer, ... if ... you've brought enough. You are much better off rigging some poles, launch your boat @ Dresden, get back in your truck & drive to Penn Yan & get drunk. Unless you live down there ... you'll catch nothing & the locals won't help you either unless you know the secret handshake.

that said, ... it still better than being @ work, so good luck.

hey blkdog, maybe you could have made your first post a little more helpful instead of so sarcastic, oh yea it's winter and you must be a little bored,

luv2fish, check the ice fishing / pan fishing forum for a little more constructive general advice, then get out there and give us a report, Canandaigua lake is iced up in the north and south ends, so I am not sure how you would fair in the north of seneca, the boat launch area at the North end may be iced up too, but I don't know for sure

I have had good luck in March around Lodi. North and south of the launch 20 feet and less. Small jigs tipped with fatheads works well for me. Keep moving till you find the big perch. You can really slay them if you find them. KEEP MOVING around till you find them. Lower your anchor very quietly too. I hope march is warm enough weather because I will be there to try for them too. Depending on the wind, the launch at Saverne is a good option too. I bet the North end launch is locked up but maybe not. Good luck.

Well guys, thanks for the insight but it appears I wont be hitting Seneca this week. I drove over to geneva to check the launch sites and they are all iced in. I thought the North end public launch might be free but its not. The ice is about 3" thick for the length of the dock, then open water. Probably wont take much to get it open, but its not ready just yet. Looks like I might have to give Canandaigua a shot instead! At least the launch at Onanda park is open there. Ill keep you posted if I get out.

Luv2fish. Any day of the week it is above freezing go to Severne Launch off 14 and just look North for the army of boats. I check the launch all of the time while I am working, and I have not seen a day yet in the last two weeks when you wuldn't find boats out of Severne. Sean

• 2 weeks later...
Can somebody tell me where the Serverne Launch is? I tried to find it on mapquest with no luck.

Thanks

go south on 14 about 10- 12 miles south of roy's i have had the best luck using oak leaf grubs on a bullhead rig set up but have done ok on fatheads look for the crowd of boats and ease your way in these guys dont take kindly to newbie's i will be out there on 3/6/10 in a 16' lund

Anybody catching them at Seneca or am I stupid for even asking? I forgot that is the best secret in North America. Its not like its a small lake, never could figure out why everyones so tight lipped there.

No secrets here. We slaughtered them last Friday fishing sliders and oakies off one of the points. The fish started in 20 fow and as the morning progressed moved out. The rig was a half oz bottom weight, an oakie tied off a dropper twelve inches up, then a slider tied off another dropper above that (sliders are a 2" plastic grub with a swimbait style tail). Cast, let her drop, then slow or fast twitches on a tight line until you figure them out. If the fish aren't there, move around. We anchored, but if the winds permit an electric works fine. Got to have LOTS of anchor line and a double anchor setup for Seneca if you want to fish near the dropoffs.

Our biggest was 1.8 lbs and twelve of the 53 were over a pound, several of those >1.5 lbs.

CM4X9.jpg

Oh, and BTW, Seneca is huge, but because of the deep water, fishable water is at a premium. When you've had a couple of boats scream in on you and drop an anchor over the school you're on, you'll understand why people get gun shy about giving out information. Some guys won't even reel in a perch when another boat is going by. As usual, it's the few with a lack of respect that determine the tone of the conversation...this is a universal axiom.

Thanks Gator. Youre a good man. You are right about people moving into your spot, Ive had that happen several times and I wasnt too happy.

Seems like there should be more general info though. Thanks BP

Wow :o I had heard Seneca had big perch....you just proved it there Gator. You must have had a blast. Is that your rig (dark pickup) that was parked at the North end a couple of days last week. I kept seeing it taking my kids to Geneva for school.

Greg

Another year got away from me for not digging up some of my own oak leaf grubs. Any idea's on where one could buy some?

Lavarock

Call Ros and Larry at Roy's Marina. She usually has access to them, but they do get sold out. The number is 315 789-3094. Also, the guy that owns Honeoye Lake Bait shop has been carrying them. Don't have the number offhand.

Grady

Six lb test is what I fish, too. As for the truck at Geneva, nope, I only wish it was me...got to work sometimes. I fished Friday with TripleS and his dad from his rig out of Severn.

Gator