human scent

raider44

I used the search tab and could not find a thread about scent since 2007. I was watching fishing a Great Lakes fishing show a month or so ago.. It was filmed during the Pro-Am tournament off Olcott, i believe. The boat the show was following around mentioned human scent on lures a few times, and how important it is to make sure there is no scent on spoons, flashers, flies, etc.

I have personally never really took human scent into consideration while handling lures/equipment- and have had good success over the past 15 years of fishing, but I am wondering if maybe sometimes a lure goes dead is because scent got onto it?

You're gonna get mixed answers on scent. I personally won't let anyone touch my lures if they have any foreign smell on their hands (suntan lotion, food, fuel etc) without washing their hands first. I keep no-scent hand soap on board for washing hands. Does it help? I don't know but it can't hurt!

Brian

I once found a rapala floating out there.(wood) Dragged it around for a couple hours & couldn't catch squat on it. Got bent & threw it in the bilge. Tried it again the following weekend & it was the hot lure. Go figure...

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Salmon find their way back to the stream they were born in by sense of smell. Its susposed to be much greater than a deer. Think about all the things that you do each AM before getting into the boat. All the soaps , food , fuel , waste, etc. that you touch will leave a trace on your hands. I use it, put some on my hands before I touch anything in the back of the boat. Does it help? I think so, can't hurt. All those hunter guys hang their clothes outdoors all year to hide the smell. Maybe we should too :lol::rofl:

Paying attention to scent might help you catch more fish, and it will definitely keep you from catching fewer. :nod: Keeping the wrong scent off your lure is just as important as using the right one, I am new at this though, better listen to some one who has been fishing for years 8)

Interesting that sun tan lotion is mentioned as a no-no.

I jig lakers a lot and have been playing around with various scents. Without my knowing, my 13 year old nephew put suntan lotion on his jig when whw intended to put uncle mikes on it.

He was significantly out fishing me. Once I realized his mistake, I tryed the same sun tan lotion and low and behold I started hooking more fish.

Another fellow told be that preperation H ointment (not the cream) is made with shark oil and really works as an attractant........Anyone verify?

i was outfished before buy somebody swearing by DEEPWOODS OFF with DEET. who knows. i know everyday i go out on lake ontario i literally rub smelly jelly into my hands, then completely smeer it on dipsies, downrigger balls and all terminal tackle. then after i gut my whole herring or alewives i rub that crap into the lures and hooks and flashers. i caught fish before all this disgustingness but i think it works better than not doing that. just make sure somebody else pops your can of beer or youll smell herring oil every time you take a slurp.

Another fellow told be that preperation H ointment (not the cream) is made with shark oil and really works as an attractant........Anyone verify?

Be carefull rubbing perperation-H on your 11" flashers,.... they may end up 8"ers.3.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself11.gif

wenever im fishing and i happen to get slime on my hands i always rub it on my lure before washing my hands. It seems like the first bites the toughest but when i get the slmie on there, the pace gets faster and i start getting more hits. Why try to imitate the fish oil when u can put the real deal on there?