Today LevelGreener and I got out after a derby fish or two. We banged the beach for a couple of hours and managed to hook up quite a few times. Our biggest fish of the day was a healthy 6 lb brown, and we boated several other smaller browns. We dumped a big one first thing that we both felt was a potential derby fish. All of the fish were released. Hot spoons today were all Dreamweavers. Their 42nd spoon and Glow Frog all took multiple rips. The top producing stick bait (actually, the only stickbait to fire) was once again a Dave's KA-BOOM Shiner in Firetiger. We were trolling in 10-18 FOW for most of the morning. Best bite was at first light. If you're going...get on the water EARLY!!!

Once the morning bite began to slow down, we took a troll out as far as 200 FOW looking for Kings. We didn't find any that wanted to cooperate, but we did find a few nice hooks on the sonar that made me think that there are a few out there. If I was going out tomorrow morning, I'd probably opt to skip the inshore fishing and head straight out to 120FOW and give it a whirl with the silvers just to see if they'd cooperate at first light.

All in all, it was a great day on the water.

May572007007.jpg

May572007010.jpg

May572007009.jpg

I'm headed out tomorrow evening, fishing TH thru SU out of Wilson. That plan may change if things keep going the way they are now.

Might be throwing a sleeping bag under your camper if things don't pick up out west :lol::lol::lol:

DAN

Guys, just got off the phone with a main contact out west-Niagara Bar- and in all honesty it didn't sound good at all. I was planning on heading up to the Oak-and points west this weekend, and after his bleak report decided it may not be worth the run. He said you can catch all the lakers you want ,but kings are few and far between. He informed me that he was out a day or 2 ago all day and boated 1 king of 15 #. This guy knows what he is doing. Lets just hope that with the Erie ice leaving later this year that has something to do with it. Any other theories? Best of luck to all who are fishing and be safe.

A good friend of mine has been fishing out of Olcott for 3 days now in a small derby (< 10 boats) and they have not been doing well at all, they didn't even boat a fish yesterday until 1500 hrs. They were, however, fishing 46 degree water which is a far cry from the beginning of the week I think.

I think it's gonna really turn on pretty soon (Thursday morning actually :lol:) but if not I don't mind catching lakers either. I know ... they're not kings but it does give you something to do in between beers which is really what fishing is all about :shock: 8)

Thanks Bill, I may just take you up on that. Wife's due in June so the summer LOC derby looks pretty grim, might be able to steal a day somewhere though. FH is day trip vs. Wilson.

DAN