NYS Projected park closures

rustyrat

I'd be happy to sign a petition, I've signed many over the years.....but I don't think it'll make any differance...I don't think the legislators in this state care what you or I think..or whats important to us. As far as Democrat or Republican, at the state level I don't see much differance.. I don't hear any of them speaking out for us, or whats right and just..They sit in thier custom made suits, ride in thier limos, take private jets to free junkets,,, and look down thier noses at us, until they need our vote, I think it's time to vote them all out.

question; What is the #1 job of any politition?

answer ; To get re-elected

until that changes, nothing will change ----- TERM LIMITS

Most of them have served muliple terms, continuing to get re-elected while continuing to fiddle as Rome burns....

I believe if we have any chance to have our views heard and get some action on our behalf it will come from the local level...from elected people we have accsess to. People who don't have to worry about missing out on the "perks" ... people who still live and work and raise thier families where thier constituants live, and who hear us...now if we can get them to act ... Also it's easier to educate voters and get the right people elected at the local level than at the state or god forbid...the national level

There's a lot of good info on this site regarding the waste and mismanagment in this great state of "OURS" (see the post on windmills in L.O.,, petition for a three rod rule, etc))... I don't think the desicion makers care at all what we think or want, or whats best for the state....and I don't think how much we hollar, yell or petition it'll make any differance..

"IT MAKES BLOOD SHOOT OUT OF MY EYES" but I don't know what to do about it....the Two State Solution makes sense to me, but thats been talked about for many years, and I don't believe will ever happen....Any ideas, movements, petitions etc. that are generated will have my support in time, effort and donation

sorry for my meandering rant, I wish I could say I feel better now

Joe (Gotaway)

There is already an effort being made to save Wilson/Tuscarora.The Senator from that district and the Town of Wilson have started a dialoge to have the town run the Park.The Wilson supervisor has said if the state can't keep it open...we can.Cyn and I use that park every spring and its one of the nicest we visit in the entire state.We wish them the beat....Zeke & Cyn(Strike 3)

Don't blame the Dems for all the problems. We had a two term repub gov as I recall. A lot of our local reps are repubs & They havent said Boo as a lot of jobs & tax rev left the state.Its not repub , dem . It's conservative , liberal.This has been going on for a long time. Where are the docks at the Oak? If they don't get put in we should all go down with a bunch of us & put them in ourselves. Can't be that hard to bolt them together. After all, as NY residents, they are OURS.If they put up barriers, well ,we can get around that. It's not if they can't keep it open , we can. It's we will.

If the local towns that these parks are located in are given the chance to take them over and run them to thier advantage without the state getting back involved that may be a good thing. :yes: or this is what was done with Fort Niagra. Right from the web site

Old Fort Niagara was restored between 1926 and 1934. It is operated today by the Old Fort Niagara Association, Inc., a not-for-profit organization, in cooperation with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Admission fees, Museum Shop sales, grants and donations provide support for operation of the site. Membership in the Old Fort Niagara Association is open to all.

Wait Wait Wait ok is there anything on the lake ontario that isn't being closed like where are we supposed to launch our boats? like if they close the parks are we still going to be aloud to launch are boats, like you can go in the park it just wount be maintained? Also this is really stupid like ok you shut all of these parks and yea you save the money it takes to run the parks but then you lose all of the money that ppl spend to use them like I don't think i'm going to buy an empire pass if this all happends.

O i forgot tbromund your totally right about the way ppl in new york city view us. its just like the carp problem and why they wount take serious action. They just think we are all crazy red necks and don't care about us, all they want to do is sit at home drink and do drugs, Hey i don't see what else there is to do in a city.

How do we start a recall of the governor, like they did in California. Then get someone in there to represent the "area" of New York state. We need a candidate who will take the wishes of the people of upstate, get in, and shake up the holdovers that are crooks in the administration, funneling the tax revenues to the city.

The city is slowly taking the rest of the state away from us, "knuckle draggin, neanderthal rednecks. They have already created a rich man's playground out of the Adirondack region. The thruway is packed every weekend with city dwellers racing up to the mountains in their expensive cars, bumper to bumper in the left lane doing 80mph. Cripes!!!, everytime I go up to that region to enjoy some of the local activities it costs an arm and a leg. Shoot don't even think about buying some scrubby land up there, it must have gold on it or something. The city has got lots of money to throw around and that is a problem for some, not all of us. Some of us own businesses that can reap the benefits of the rich city folks, but for me , a lowly upstate hillbilly, that drives a truck for a living? I AM SCREWED! can't compete with them.

I can think right now of some parks in this state that take in absolutely no revenue and cost a fortune to operate. Those are not on the list. What the heck is wrong with that picture? We pay taxes to run these parks and then there is absolutely no day use fee charged to anyone!...this includes people from out of state who come and enjoy the parks on our taxes. I'm not saying that is bad because of the other business and service that do charge out of staters also make up some of the tax revenues that support this. So who would be against a day use fee in these parks to everyone for a nominal fee?

It's just an insane, grab at straws to cut the revenues for a state park that employs one college kid for a summer to collect the fees for launching a boat, or life guarding a beach, all of which only operate largely during the summer months, maybe, 10 to 15 weeks.

But let's leave the other parks that charge nothing open and cost a small fortune to operate...DUH!...I'd be more specific which parks these are but I don't want to expose them to the closures too. We might as well enjoy what we can in the "blindness" of the government.

Mark

here is the press release:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/newsroom/pr ... aspx?r=776

February 19, 2010

Governor's Office: Marissa Shorenstein

OPRHP: Eileen Larrabee, Dan Keefe

Statements from Governor David A. Paterson and Commissioner Carol Ash on Parks Budget Cuts

The Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) today put forward a recommended list of closures and service reductions in order to achieve its 2010-11 agency savings target and help address the State's historic fiscal difficulties.

Governor David A. Paterson issued the following statement:

"New York faces an historic fiscal crisis of unprecedented magnitude. It has demanded many difficult but necessary decisions to help ensure the fiscal integrity of our State. The unfortunate reality of closing an $8.2 billion deficit is that there is less money available for many worthy services and programs. In an environment when we have to cut funding to schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and social services, no area of State spending, including parks and historic sites, could be exempt from reductions. We cannot mortgage our State's financial future through further gimmicks or avoidance behavior. Spending cuts, however difficult, are needed in order to put New York on the road to fiscal recovery. Going forward through the budget process, I look forward to a productive dialogue with the Legislature on parks and historic sites, as well as other issues."

OPRHP Commissioner Carol Ash issued the following statement:

"The 2010-11 Executive Budget included reductions to every area of State spending. As such, the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation has today put forward proposed closures and service reductions to meet its agency savings target. These actions were not recommended lightly, but they are necessary to address our State's extraordinary fiscal difficulties."

###

A fact sheet on the proposed closures and service reductions is included below:

The Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) today put forward a list of closures and service reductions in order to achieve its proposed 2010-11 agency savings target and help address the State's historic fiscal difficulties. As part of a comprehensive plan to close an $8.2 billion deficit, the 2010-11 Executive Budget included necessary cost reductions to each executive State agency, as well as cuts to education, health care, social services, and every other area of State spending.

OPRHP's plan includes the closure of 41 parks and 14 historic sites, and service reductions at 23 parks and 1 historic site.

The plan also assumes $4 million in park and historic site fee increases that will be identified at a later date, and the use of $5 million in funds from the Environmental Protection Fund (EPF) to finance OPRHP operations. These two actions were part of the 21-day amendments to the Executive Budget and are intended to reduce the number of parks and historic sites subject to closures and service reductions.

Specific recommended closures and service reductions are detailed below:

Long Island

Brookhaven State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

Bethpage State Park (Suffolk)--Eliminate Winter Sports; Reduce picnic area and polo field

Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Suffolk)--Close Park

Cold Spring Harbor State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

Connetquot River State Park (Suffolk)--Close Weekdays

Heckscher State Park (Suffolk)--Close Swimming Pool

Jones Beach State Park (Nassau)--Close West Swimming Pool; Eliminate July 4th fireworks

Montauk Downs State Park (Suffolk)--Close Swimming Pool

Nissequogue River State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

Orient Beach State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

Trail View State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

New York City Region

Bayswater Point State Park (Queens)--Close Park

Riverbank State Park (New York)--Reduce Operating Hours; Close Outdoor Swimming Pool; Eliminate Seniors Classes, and Community/Cultural Events

Palisades Region

Fort Montgomery Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site

Harriman SP– Anthony Wayne (Orange)--Close Park Area

Harriman SP – Group Camps (Orange)--Reduce Maintenance

High Tor State Park (Rockland)--Close Pool

Knox Headquarters Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site

New Windsor Cantonment SHS (Orange)-- Close Historic Site

Schunnemunk State Park (Orange)-- Close Park

Stony Point State Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site

Tallman Mountain State Park (Rockland)--Close Pool

Taconic Region

Donald J. Trump State Park (Westchester)--Close Park

FDR (Roosevelt) State Park (Westchester)--Reduce Swimming Pool Season

Hudson Highlands State Park (Putnam)--Close Arden Point Area

James Baird State Park (Dutchess)--Reduce Golf Course Season

Mills Norrie State Park (Dutchess)--Reduce Golf Course Season

Olana State Historic Site (Columbia)--Close 2 Days per Week

Philipse Manor Hall Historic Site (Westchester)--Close Historic Site

Rockefeller State Park Preserve (Westchester)--Eliminate Interpretive Programs

Taconic Outdoor Education Center (Putnam)--Eliminate Interpretive Programs

Taconic State Park – Rudd Pond (Dutchess)--Close Rudd Pond Area

Wonder Lake State Park (Putnam)--Close Park

Saratoga-Capital Region

Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site (Rensselaer)--Close Historic Site

Hudson River Islands State Park (Rensselaer)--Close Park

John Boyd Thacher State Park (Albany)--Close Park

John Brown Farm Historic Site (Essex)--Close Historic Site

Johnson Hall State Historic Site (Fulton)--Close Historic Site

Max V. Shaul State Park (Schoharie)--Close Park

Schodack Island State Park (Rensselaer)--Close Park

Schoharie Crossing Historic Site (Montgomery)--Close Historic Site

Schuyler Mansion Historic Site (Albany)--Close Historic Site

Central Region

Chittenango Falls State Park (Madison)--Close Park

Clark Reservation State Park (Onondaga)--Close Park

Fort Ontario State Historic Site (Oswego)--Close Historic Site

Helen McNitt State Park (Madison)--Close Park

Herkimer Home Historic Site (Herkimer)--Close Historic Site

Hunts Pond State Park (Chenango)--Close Park

Oquaga Creek State Park (Broome)--Close Park

Old Erie Canal State Park (Onondaga)--Close Park

Oriskany Battlefield/Steuben SHS (Oneida)--Close Historic Site

Pixley Falls State Park (Oneida)--Close Park

Robert Riddell State Park (Delaware)--Close Park

Selkirk Shores State Park (Oswego)--Close Public Swimming Beach

Finger Lakes Region

Beechwood State Park (Wayne)--Close Park

Bonavista State Park (Seneca)--Close Park

Chimney Bluffs State Park (Wayne)--Close Park

Newtown Battlefield State Park (Chemung)--Close Park

Springbrook Greens State Park (Cayuga)--Close Park

Two Rivers State Park (Tioga)--Close Park

Buttermilk Falls State Park (Tompkins)--Close Public Swimming Area

Seneca Lake State Park (Seneca)--Close Lake Swimming Beach

Stony Brook State Park (Steuben)--Close Public Swimming Area

Thousand Islands Region

Canoe Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park

Cedar Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park

Eel Weir State Park (St. Lawrence)--Close Park

Keewaydin State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park

Macomb Reservation State Park (Clinton)--Close Park

Mary Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park

Point Au Roche State Park (Clinton)--Close Park

Sackets Harbor State Historic Site (Jefferson)--Close Historic Site

Genesee Region

Hamlin Beach State Park (Monroe)--Close Swimming Beach 3 Days per Week

Oak Orchard State Marine Park (Orleans)--Close Park

Regionwide Multiple Eliminate Camper Recreation Program

Niagara Region

Joseph Davis State Park (Niagara)--Close Park

Knox Farm State Park (Erie)--Close Park

Wilson-Tuscarora State Park (Niagara)--Close Park

Woodlawn Beach State Park (Erie)-- Close Park

Regionwide--Reduce interpretive programs

Allegany Region

Allegany State Park (Cattaraugus)--Close Quaker Area Swim Beach; Close Quaker Cabins Area on December 1st; Eliminate Winter Trails Maintenance; Reduce Recreation Programs

Long Point State Park (Chautauqua)--Close Park

###

Blah. I have no intention of some yahoo politician telling me I can't use a launch.

Put a chain across it? I got bolt cutters.

Bigger chain? I got torches.

Fine me? I'll claim it on my taxes.

Arrest me? Free room & board.

These doinks think we are some kind of life game that they control. Kind of like that Sims game (ask a youngster). We do need to start making some noise. The kind of noise that can't be ignored. I participated in the tea party last year about being over taxed. A good amount of people showed up at locations across the nation. A lot more people than are on here. And what came of that? Absolutely nothing. It didn't even slow the taxes from raising. I just have no idea what we can do. Elect another politician? That won't do any good. Just be a mirror of the one that's there now. Open the finances to the public. Let's see their books. LET THE PEOPLE OF NEW YORK STATE DECIDE. Let us make the cuts.

It's all circling the drain.....

NYS announces that TOURISM has recently supplanted AGRICULTURE as the State's #1 industry, and then Patterson announces all these park closings. Is this guy BLIND or something?!?!? Oh, wait, TOURISM and AGRICULTURE are UPSTATE industries. I get it now.... :devil::devil::devil:

Vince is absolutely correct...Patterson is cutting the economic engine right out from under us.

Time for our "rent-a Governor", and all of the rest of our elected officials to go. As someone said earlier...it's time to flush the toilet!

I say we form our own State...UPSTATE NY! Vince Pierleoni for Governor of UPSTATE NY.

Patterson can keep that other cesspool downstate as far as I'm concerned.

I have been told that the list that is out on State Parks & Historical Sites does not include all the places being looked at for cuts or closer,there are more they are not telling us about that will be in the final decided list.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

Blah. I have no intention of some yahoo politician telling me I can't use a launch.

Put a chain across it? I got bolt cutters.

Bigger chain? I got torches.

Fine me? I'll claim it on my taxes.

Arrest me? Free room & board.

These doinks think we are some kind of life game that they control. Kind of like that Sims game (ask a youngster). We do need to start making some noise. The kind of noise that can't be ignored. I participated in the tea party last year about being over taxed. A good amount of people showed up at locations across the nation. A lot more people than are on here. And what came of that? Absolutely nothing. It didn't even slow the taxes from raising. I just have no idea what we can do. Elect another politician? That won't do any good. Just be a mirror of the one that's there now. Open the finances to the public. Let's see their books. LET THE PEOPLE OF NEW YORK STATE DECIDE. Let us make the cuts.

It's all circling the drain.....

I'm with you! they can't tell us what to do and not to use the parks we piad for!

Hey i don't really care if they stop maintianing the parks but not letting us use the boat launch is ridiculus. O and the park in wilson WILL never be closed i gureent it to many ppl with big money you watch.

The Town of Wilson was in talks about taking over Wilson-Tuscarora State Park before the list came out and this will happen!

Long Point State Park Marina at Chautauqua Lake is under lease,as I type people are working on getting the Launch Area added to that lease so the launch stays open.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres.E.L.E.C.B.A.

One of the biggest losses for the state of NY for running a state park with boat launching facilities is Liability Insurance,Utilities Bill & Maintenance.The revenue brought in by park entrance and launch fees is less then what it costs for Liability Insurance,Utility Bills & Maintenance. For each Tournament I run on Chautauqua Lake with 100 or less fishermen entered it cost me $356.00 for Liability Insurance.I could only imagine the cost of Liability Insurance for a state park with a swimming beach,boat marina and boat launch would be for the whole year.But then again if Long Point State Park was changed over to a Campground along with the Marina,Swim Area & Boat Launch,it could pay for its self.Make 50% of the camp sites seasonal year rental and the other 50% daily and weekly rental.Being right on the lake it would be full all summer long!

Capt. Larry

Here is a letter I sent to the Orleans County Planning and Development Department. I fiqure the county would have a vested intrest in maintaining the State Park to keep touism alive and to thwart overcrowding issues at the county park on the east side of the river if the State closes the Marine park. Wayne Hale Jr. is the Director of parks and development related to tourism in Orleans county. Maybe the county can see a way to keep it open and make a profit of of it's use.

Mark

Dear Mr. Hale,

I am a resident of Orleans County, in the town of Lyndonville. What I am writing to you about has more to do with the State of New York and it's proposal to close the Oak Orchard State Marine Park. Governor Patterson has informed all of us New Yorkers that there will be closure and service cutbacks to 41 of our state parks and other historical sites as well. This being very distressing has created some thought as to what will happen to the County park on the east side of the river. I can foresee a huge problem with overcrowding and general overuse of the county park due to the closure of the state side. While the park sees a great deal of use and it is a great asset to our area being a free access tourism boost, I feel that the closure of the state side will somewhat degrade the effective useful aspects of the county park facilities.

I was wondering about a situation that could be of a windfall for the county as well as the tourism of The Oak Orchard site, by recommending a possible transfer of maintenance and management of the State park to the county of Orleans. I believe if not mistaken, The village of Wilson has already offered to maintain the Tuscarora Park in Niagara County as soon as the state closes it if that happens. That is of a huge benefit to the boaters, and vacationers in that area, as well as relieve some of the pressure from the Oak Orchard site, as boaters will likely not look for other launch sites like the Orleans County Park for instance. Day use fees could be of some benefit to the county if it was possible to transfer operation of the State Park to the county. There are none of us who want to see our State Parks close and if the the state can't see a way to make money from the park being open then maybe someone who is not a politician or at least one who understands realized profits, not just directly, can. I am not sure what chain of command to follow here but I thought I would see what your department might be able to to do and who to get involved. Maybe Senator Maziarz could be of some assistance to us in Albany if a transfer could be of some viability.

Thank you Mr. Hale

I look forward to your ideas,

Sincerely,

Mark Schuman

2247 Swett Road, Lyndonville, NY 14098

Thanks for the endorsement, Billy v. Politics actually do interest me, but could we Govern the "New" New York in such a way that I could still fish for Kings? I have a feeling that you guys would catch 'em all while I sat in meetings!!!

This is good, guys. The towns and counties will do a better job than the state, and private enterprise would be even better. We The People........it's the American way. When each of these facilities turns a profit it will provide further proof of how inept our State government is. It is a honor to serve the people, trouble is that has been long forgotten by this state administration.

I'm not gonna lie Vince....one of the reasons I nominated you to govern our "new" State was so that you'd be tied up in meetings and I wouldn't have to worry about you in the Pro-Am's! :lol::lol: Next I'm going to nominate Tom Burke to serve as Lt. Governor!

All kidding aside, I think you've hit the nail on the head: It is supposed to be an honor to serve the people (remember, it's called PUBLIC SERVICE), and somehow being a lifetime politician has morphed into a way to get rich and wield an enormous amount of power. Unfortunately most politicians use that power to their own benefit rather than SERVING the PEOPLE they supposedly represent.