NYS Projected park closures

rustyrat

he has done nothin for our state , oh , messed it up real good , thanks , now we have all these closeings and whatever else the blind guy cant see ..... and we the people really have no say , well we do , but it wont do any good at all . i vote for well , i better not say

Maybe he will give all of us out in fishland a $200 grant to go out & buy new equipment for the upcoming season. Yes , we the people have a lot of say come NOV. We can flush the toilet to ALL incombants & send a strong message to the remaining whose terms come up 2 years from Nov. If we don't, we deserve what we get.

I can tell you right now what the problem is. I'm an accountant and I have and do peoples income tax's and some of the stuff i see makes me sick. I had a lady who was 23 making 20000 a year with 3 kids all from different fathers got a refund of over 10000. I've had people get more in refunds from the gov't that are greater then the total amount of money they made during the year totally rediculas!!! :@

If we can't use the closed parks, or boat launches, I say as a state wide protest we all pick a day, and use the park facilities, launch our boats, etc.

We could even put the docks in at the boat lauches.

Has anyone received a cancellation for camping reservations at any of the proposed parks? Just heard a friend of mine did and he was getting refunded. Guess it's more than a "Proposal" at this point. :no::no::no:

Shawn

This past Sunday I found out that NY State was going to save only $43,000.00 by Closing Long Point State Park on Chautauqua Lake.Gee I wonder how much Tourisom Dollars will be lost,maybe in excess of $2 Million with no deep water boat launch on Chautauqua Lake open to the public.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

Think about how much sales tax is lost on $2 million, I think about $160,000, at a 8% rate. That's not including the state income tax that folks earn from that $2 million from tourist.

I don't know who is doing the math, but I have a feeling that mathematics was not their strong subject.

I was born and raised in upstate NY and worked and paid taxes every week from....June 1957 untill April 1976....Was laid off when the state taxed my company out of the state to ugh.NJ....Rather than live down in the swamps of Jersey I moved down here to Houston and went to work 3 days after getting here and NEVER got laid off. The difference between Texas and New York are the liberal politicians (carpetbaggers RFK and Hill the pill) who buy votes from the lazies who wont work with tax money from folks that do work.....Wake up NY....vote all the liberals out of office before ALL the jobs are taxed out of state to pay for all the give away programs...Get some politicians in there who will lower corporate taxes so the jobs come back...My fishing license went from $40 to $70 last Oct....My park sticker went from $59 to $65 last year.Im only one person.....but thousands of fishermen also paid these same hikes....Where is all that money????? Closing the parks is insane.............lease them out .....there are lots of jobs gone with the closings.....plus local businesses near the parks will suffer from lack of traffic....we dont have all problems here in Texas that NY has because folks here actually work for what they have and we dont allow liberal politicians in office to steal taxpayers money and redistribute it those who think they are owed a living

There has been no public anouncement yet,but it looks like we were able to get NY State to keep the Boat Launch & Marina open at Long Point State Park on Chautauqua Lake.I would say the launch price will most likely go up in cost by two or three dollars,but it will be still open!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Vice Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

everybody has to do there own math but the empire passport can be a good way to go if you do a lot of launching at state launches or visit the parks. still 65 bucks this yr, no increase believe it or not.i launch a lot at those places and it easily pays for itself by the end of june for me. after that i almost feel like i'm getting something for free from the state for a change. :) .now would be the time to do it if you use them enough.

Orleans County Legislature and Tourism Attempting to Keep the Oak Orchard State Park and Boat Launch Open

March 3, 2010

It was standing room only Monday evening at the Lighthouse Restaurant in Point Breeze (Kent), NY as neighbors and members of the Oak Orchard Neighborhood Association met with Orleans County Legislator Chairman Dave Callard, District #4 Legislator, Ken Rush and Deputy Jim Halstead. The recent announcement regarding the closing of the Oak Orchard State Park & Boat Launch on Archbald Road and Mr. Callard’s "State of the County" message from February 24th prompted the invitation by the newly formed neighborhood association, also known as OONA.

Callard shared with attendees that Orleans County Tourism Director, Wayne Hale and Ken Rush are scheduled to meet with state officials this week to determine the feasibility of Orleans County acquiring the state park & boat launch. OONA members displayed their support by presenting a letter from OONA Preservation & Environmental committee chairman, Dave Tufts. "Loss of this park and boat launch would be a blow to our local businesses and serve to under utilize this important resource that we have in the Oak Orchard Harbor."

Callard & Rush also commented on the County’s position in 2010 to enhance the Oak Orchard region and tourism in Orleans County. Steve Gramiak, OONA President and proprietor of the Black North Inn and Bill Karcher, Vice President and proprietor of the Lighthouse Restaurant raised the issue of poor and dilapidated signage and reflectors along the Lake Ontario State Parkway (Seaway Trail) and local roads.

To read more: http://www.oakorchard.org/announcements

• 3 weeks later...

Chimney Bluffs, other state parks may be saved from closure

Joseph Spector • Gannett Albany bureau • March 25, 2010

ALBANY — State lawmakers said Wednesday they will restore more than $11 million to keep open 55 parks and historical sites that Gov. David Paterson had sought to close in the 2010-11 fiscal year.

The state Assembly and Senate are separately recommending about $11.5 million total in restorations to keep the parks open. The sides said they will work with Paterson to include the aid in the final budget deal, which is due April 1.

"We still have to work out between the two houses the source of that restoration," said Assembly Parks Committee Chairman Steven Engelbright, D-Suffolk County, "but the sum is about the same and the goal is exactly the same."

The state has never closed one of its parks.

Parks advocates derided Paterson's January proposal to lower aid for state parks by $29 million, a 16 percent cut from the current fiscal year.

The cuts led to the announcement of massive closures and service reductions in the 125-year-old park system, the oldest in the nation with 178 parks and 35 historic sites.

Parks targeted for closure included Oak Orchard State Marine Park in Orleans County and Beechwood and Chimney Bluffs state parks in Wayne County. Swimming at Hamlin Beach State Park in Monroe County would have been closed three days a week.

The agency still faces cuts in operating aid and has $650 million in capital needs, Engelbright said.

Parks groups urged lawmakers to pass the budget quickly to ensure parks can open soon and have enough time to hire employees for the summer.

Just remember all this in November when you go to the polls. Every stinkin one of them, no matter what party affiliation, should be voted out. Let's start from ground zero and put people in that are gonna work for making New York State a place that people want to live & WORK, not live off the freebies.

Bob

We have the same crap out west here, they have made it easier for people to get on programs that pay better than an honestdays work for an honest days pay. Over half the people in our little community are welfare 3rd generation. it all most seems it's the new American way, don't work and be rewarded

I'm sure that since NY is not listed as one of the states pushing for the constitutional legal issues of the recent passing of the senate health law, requiring everyone to buy health insurance or face penalties levied by the IRS, that some secret deal made for NY to get some of the leftover stimulus (bribe) money (our money taken) has caused our illustrious governor to lend a deaf ear as well as a blind eye (or two) to lawyer a defeat of said legislature that bastardizes our constitution. This may be our only way of keeping the parks open, by using the bribe stimulus money to keep NYS government from being totally dis-functional. Now if they will use it wisely is the next question.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Feds threatening to withhold millions if state closes parks

By David Figura/The Post-Standard

April 09, 2010, 10:26AM

According to today's Albany Times Union:

"Federal officials are threatening to withhold millions of dollars in funding to the state if the Paterson administration pushes forward with its plan to close parks around the state.

"In a letter dated March 31, National Parks Service Northeast Regional Director Dennis Reidenbach wrote that the move would put New York in "non-compliance" with the requirements for taking funding from the Land and Water Conservation Fund and Federal Land for Parks Program.

• 1 month later...