I have read about how the use of bags on either side of the boat greatly increase handling in rough conditions. I dont know anyone that uses them and would like to hear from some guys that do. I also would like to know what manufactures are preferred. I was looking at the bags on Amish Outfitters but they say that the bags are NOT for trolling.

We've been running the bags from Amish Outfitters for two years. We run them for the purpose of slowing down while keeping the rpms higher than needed. They are holding up very well, they do help steady than boat and keeping it from rocking side to side. We also will pull one or the other to help keep the boat tracking straight in rough water.

I have been dragging drywall buckets since the 80's . I have 2 on my 21 ft hardtop which has a tendency to"grab " the wind going with it . I take the handel off the pail, drill about ten 3/4 inch holes in the bottom, drill 4 holes accross from each other in the ring where the handle was & make a rope harness( sounds harder than it is ) I tie them midship on each side. with rope long enough so the are ahead of my down & outs. They work great. I use one or both or none at times. when i get a big fish I drop them both in . Kind of got it down to a science. Precision speed is critical and this helps . Also is good to keep r's up for oil pressure. Go to any constrution site & look in the dumpster. Somtimes you can get a stack of them and they have tons of uses. Just watch out for ones with top on . they make good toilets also.

Lastminute, reading the last line of your post I think you may have drift bags and trolling bags mixed up. Drift bags are not for trolling with the pressure of the motor. Trolling bags are heavier built and intended for use to slow the boat down while trolling with the motor. If you look at the Amish Outfitter website, the beefy bags and the buggy bags are for trolling. They do make drift bags which are not for trolling like you said.

I have a trolling bag that came with the boat so I do not know what brand it is. I'm looking to get a second one and will probably get an AO beefy bag.

Also, if you do break down in bumpy seas, you can let the bag out from your bow with the anchor line to keep you pointed into the waves otherwise your boat will turn sideways to the waves and really rock you.