Shore fishing spots

sauce

Hey folks, I'm getting cabin fever up here in Montreal, so I'm planning to try Lake Ontario for some trout around mid-march. I don't have a boat, nor money for a charter right now. Which means I'd like to fish from the shore, break walls, or whatever I can get to on foot. So here are a few questions I'd like to ask to help me plan this small trip:

First things first: Are the shores free of ice come mid-March?

Can trout be caught right from the shore at this time of year?

Where would be the right spots for this?

I saw on Google Earth what looks like a real nice long break wall in Oswego in front of the Steam Station: Is that accessible / realistic place to fish?

Thanks for your help!

sauce :beer:

Mid March is a good time to hit the Browns. Ice is tough to call as the weather is very unpredictable this time of year but the Lake is usually clear by then. I don't fish the Oswego area from shore so I won't comment on it. About 15 miles east you have Mexico Bay with areas you can fish and just east of that you have Selkirk where Grindstone Creek enters the lake which usually holds fish as well as the Salmon River that I beleive has some access to the lake from shore. Both are good areas for Browns that will usually hold in less than 10 fow. Also trout in the Salmon river is an option as well.

Glen

Most major tribs have the benefit of a pier to cast off. I usually wait until after March 20th, but if weather is warm, the bait will start coming in early. If the piers are not happening then you have Plan B.......Steelhead peak run in the creeks.

Off the piers I chuck hot'n'tots, stickbaits, small spoons and with a second rod....emerald shiners under a bobber.

Sweet music to my ears... 8)

Thanks for the input!

Todd, thanks for the offer, that's very kind. I don't know yet if I'll be there weektime or on the weekend, but I'm eyeing around 18-20th March as a timeframe.

Thanks again for the help, and other keep em coming if anything. The more knowledge the better! :beer:

Long before I ever trolled for browns i use to cast for them from shore at oswego. I f you walk all the way out to the lighthouse you can hit fish. Lil cleos and krockodiles are good. U want something you can get out there a little ways. Use light line, no more than 6 lb test. I prefer 4. This will increase your casting distance. a 3/4 oz cleo and 6lb test can be casted almost to the nuke plant :lol: We also use to cast stickbaits and did really well. smithwicks. The heaviest floating bait is a good start. husky jerks work well. There is another spot as well between the detatched east wall and shore. There is a rocky area and people cast off of that and I have seen many do well from there. same baits etc.. bring a net because there are some sharp rocks

Most any trib has some sort of jetty ,or breakwall of some type. Cast along the mudline ,light line ,personal preference would be a 3/8 oz krocodile . Get started early - before sunrise, be patient, somedays the shore guys do better than the boaters . Have had many such days. Good luck !

Wow, thanks for the tips! This is good preparation.

I'm trying to be sure I'm clear on the Salmon River regulations. If I understand right, at this time of year it's catch & realease from the first buoy at the mouth of the river and all the way up, and including the black hole in Pulaski? Or am I getting it wrong?

Thanks for the tips guys. With your help I have my trip all set up now, I'll be driving down May 18th thru 20th.

Say, what are the current conditions on the Oswego shore, and at the mouth of the Salmon River?

the gate will not open at grindstone creek this year (selkirk shores) if im not mistaken fellas is this true? that will put a damper on taking my girls trout fishing this year. thats our spot. that is a honey hole whene its not crowded. oswego is probly better though. musky is alwasy right and is right again in saying that the waves can get those rocks wet and slick. sometimes waves will rougue and smash clean over the wall. that water would whack ya like a swingin log if you werent expecting it. if its calm you can see fish swiming neer the wall. ussually trout and they WILL hammer a shiner under a bobber. good spots are where landshark said and also by the twin stacks, also called the turning basin, inside the walls. big pike hang in the turning basin too. not too many but ive seen a few.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I drove down last Thursday and fished Salmon River and Oswego River through till Saturday at 4:00PM

I fished in Salmon River with eggs sacks and beads: Sportman pool south, Pineville pool, Trestle pool noth, and Black Hole: no bite. Other fishermen were all saying it was pretty slow, action was mostly going on in the lower fly section.

I tried Selkirk Shores fishing the pier casting cleos, and despite absolutely beautiful weather, no bite either. I, along with a few other fishermen persisted until after sundown but no one landed any trout.

Friday PM and Saturday I insisted on fishing Oswego river behind the motels with egg sacks, bucktail jigs, white bucktail grub jigs, cleos, etc, and still nothing. During this time, two browns were caught, both non-keepers, as well as a perch.

So all in all, absolute miss.

But hey! a bad day of fishing is still waaay better than a good day at werk! And the cabin fever is now in check.

I'll be back with a vengeance in a few weeks.