TV muskies an double 10's

If there is a musky show on TV all they seem to throw is double tens it's driving me nuts ! My kid even turned to me and said you need to get some of those baits ! Then they throw a rubber chicken out with hooks on it and get a follow from that, i heard about that one from a lot of guys at the shop they all thought that was pretty simple ! i'd like to see a musky show that shows what it's really like on your average musky lake . I have thrown my share of double tens over the last couple of years and i have only ONE fish to show for it ,are double tens only good in Canada or in the midwest ? sorry for the rant but has anone really seen that kind of success on doule tens around this area ?

Lance McFeely

"THE FERD"

That’s a funny point you make Lance as I think I saw the exact same show this weekend you are referring to. They had caught tons of ski’s and all seem to come on double tens. I happen to prefer jerkbaits/crankbaits myself when casting and had little success this year on bucktails. Maybe the answer lies in either the anglers preference to cover water quickly or even the basic skill set of the angler? I had this conversation once with Capt. Mike Sperry and he said he almost always has his clients cast bucktails cause it’s hard to really mess those up – fast or slow, jerky or smooth, left or right – they seem to catch fish. Triggering a fish to hit a jerkbait (Mike’s preference for casting as well) can be a little tougher though. However much harder it is to learn how to work a bait correctly, it is worth the effort to learn because once you figure it out it will really help to put more fish in the boat. 90% of my fish this year casting came on jerkbaits/crankbaits worked a variety of different ways.

when i did cast last year thats what i threw the most of and 0 fish on the dub's. still open minded to them but bill sandy makes it look to easy. maybe if we all fished lake of the woods... plus they're a pain in the a** to burn and thats how i fish them the most.

Lance,

By any chance, were you watching the Babe Winkelman show? His show was doing the exact same thing on Lake of the Woods. I was hoping they would have switched to other lures, but nope...just kept throwing them.

On another note, Hunt for Big Fish had a musky episode last week that was pretty fun to watch. They were messing around with sounds of lures and ended up making a lure (and showed parts of the process) that was top water with a lot of tail action. I enjoyed seeing this different approach (scientific) rather than the standard "Look at us catch a ton of muskies with the same lure"!

--Joe