turkey hunt in the morning fish in the evening

what a way to relax after a long winter!

been hunting daylight to noon every day since the season opened. this evening we decided to take the new boat out and play,,,,to see if it catches salmon as good as the old boat.

we fished an hour and did 4 kings, all released to fight another day. took pictures of the 2 biggest salmon, the bigger one was probably close to 26lbs and the initial run was 682 feet. sorry for the lousy pictures, the good camera is in my turkey vest, so we took the pictures with the camera phone.

05_07_07_2023.jpg

05_07_07_2037.jpg

Oh come on Ray! You guys bust my chops about it, but as of right now the highest I would have placed with it was 6th place, and that pays a measly $75. With another weekend to fish Im sure I would of dropped even more. Possibly off the board! Is killing a nice fish like that for $75 really worth it? Sure if I thought it would have held out I would have weighed it in, but with the amount of years I have been doing this I have a good idea of what it takes to make the top 5.

Not to mention if I kill that beautiful specimen than people like Jax and Gambel wont have anything to fish for in the future! Not to mention that the lake trout stocking has hit the bottom becasue of VHS.

Ray,

I did not throw back a $ fish, the fish hit at 8:11 pm. was boated at 8:37 pm

the derby closes at 8 pm. every day but the last day. we were out fishing for fun and all fish were released to fight another day.

LOC derby Rule on times:

"Agrees that the Weigh Master must weigh in all fish entered in the LOC Derby at an official LOC Weigh Station on the day caught. Agrees to these weigh station hours for the Spring Derby. May 4th-12th, 9:00 a.m. to 8 p.m. May13th, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Derby ends a 1:00 on May 13th, 2006. Check with weigh-in station for Summer Derby hours"

Reeltime - $ fish or not, those are a couple of nice kings ... way to go!!

With the dismal reports circulating about it's good to see somebody hooked into a couple. That 2nd pic looks like a real pig.

DAN

YT-

Sorry to question you on this. I have only fished for lakers a few times so I'm no expert. I appreciate that you did not want to sacrifice this fish for a less than probable LOC position. Commendable. However, in a different post you indicated that you made a game out of bringing lakers up from the bottom to the net at rates greater than 1.5 foot per second. Isn't this just as likely to kill the fish?

Jim

Sponge, sponge! Thanks for the question, and I will try to answer it to the best of my knowledge. (Once I get past the thought of you pulling out your calculator to get the feet per second ratio :lol: ) From what I have read, and heard, as long as you put these fish back quick enough and they swim back down to the bottom that air bladder will deflate. Even bringing them up at a regualr pace is going to expand that air bladder. Every mud puppy we caught Saturday swam back down faster than they came up. This is also due to the fact the water is cold and they didnt exert all that energy fighting an angler.

If I'm wrong then someone let me know. Im not trying to kill the Laker fishery for Jax and Gambel! :lol: