Bluefin Tuna

Where? I fished bluefin in Mexico and socal. Fly lining sardeins. Frickin fantastic! yellowfins and albacore too. I went as much as i could. even had a custom 6ft tuna stick made for me. My largest was an 88lb blue that won me the pool! Most were 30 to 60 lbs. Yellowfins ave 20 to 30.

Jan Z used to do it all the time out of RI and the cape I believe?

I can tell you what "Not" to do.

We took a charter that raced around stellwagon bank and cape cod bay trying to spot feeding schoolies and then throw plugs at them. I know it has been successful on some days (Spanish Fly episode filmed with my same Captain in October 2009, the week before I went out), but not for us. Never saw a school or fish and went 35 mph for 8 hours! Real frustrating thing was we saw some caught trolling but we had a Captain married to his way of fishing and no fallback plan. Catching a 80 lb tuna on a surface plug would be a blast, but it didn't happen for me.

Every year is different but the schools migrate north as the water warms up the coast, so an early tuna bite is off the Carolinas in May/June, Virginia to Jersey Shore in July and then August/September the best tuna bite is off Montauk to the Cape.

Very generic, but I fished Tuna for a few years in August off Montauk, one old captain from the Oak is running out of Oregon Inlet,NC and my brother lives in Charleston, SC so this is where my statements come from.

Use your search for

Oregon Inlet,NC Tuna Fishing

Next month it starts there, yellowfin tuna, 40 miles offshore in the steaming gulf stream. A party of six can bring home a ton of tuna a day. It is a short drive, good break from winter, bring your woman, they will be happy too.

YT,

I grew up fishing for the billfish tournaments on my cousins boat off New Jersey shores (Ocean City, NJ). We caught mostly yelllow fins tuna and some sail fishs at least 30 miles off shore.

The tuna steak on the grill are so tasty. You will want to keep the tuna meat in addition to fighting them.

Blue fins tuna are much bigger and I do recall catching a few of them.

AD

I went fishing for Bluefin from my kayak last year off of Cape Cod during September. I thought I was fishing for BBT (Baby Bluefin Tuna) of around 50 lb or so, and I cast to some surfacing tuna on three occasions. After the third attempt, one swam directly under the boat but it was no BBT it was a Giant about 6 feet long. I checked my casts after that. I actually hooked one three years ago on a fly rod and I got spooled and up on plane in about 60 seconds. I was fishing for bluefish at the time and so were the tuna. I am going to try again this year. In order to get a permit, I had to register my kayak as a motorized boat, since the permit is for the boat and you can't register a boat as paddle or peddle powered. There were a lot of tuna around last year. One guy caught a 160Lb one from a kayak at about the same time and ESPN2 just had a show, Spanish Fly that was filmed while I was there. They cheated though, they were motorized.

Paul