Cabin Wall replacement

SinDale

The interior wall in my boat (22ft Cuddy) has rotted along the floor. This is the wall dividing the cabin from the outside. I plan on disassembling next month, and rebuilding it based on what I discover, but has anyone done this before and/or have any advice? I've spent some time scowering the web with little results. My mind keeps winding on materials, customizing, etc. The old one had carpet on both sides which Im sure played a part in it rotting, so I'm considering a laminate (like a shower liner), hardwood, or stainless sheet metal. All ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Estimates from those who do this kind of thing will be considered as well!

Thanks!

Being a carpenter , one of the first things I learned was , "Water on wood no good " I would not use CDX or any 'Exterior grade pyls. They are meant to be covered with Siding ,etc Not direct to weater. Pt ply sealed covered with carpet would be my choice. Use Stainless or hot dipped fastners.

Is this a Fiberglass boat?I can't see the pic on my computer.If it's a glass boat you can replace the piece with either Marine ply,or a good grade of A/C Fir ply.

The only difference between the two is that Marine Plywood is made out of solid veneers,there are no voids in any of them,unlike standard plywood that does allow voids.You will notice if you cut a piece of marine plywood it is solid.

There are also more plies in marine,making it stronger.The glue in both is the same.

The most important thing is to seal the edges of the plywood with a good coat of Epoxy resin.mix it per directions and brush it on,and let it cure.this will seal the edge and prevent the wood from acting like a sponge,and absorbing water.

If you just want to paint it,and do nothing fancy,then I would give it a few coats of a good quality enamel.Cover both sides of the plywood.

A better way would be to apply a coat of fiberglass mat or cloth to the surfaces,and then either carpet or paint of your choice.

Stay away from the pressure treated plywood that they sell in Home Depot.It's all junk,has only a few plies and is unstable and tends to warp easily.It's made to use in construction where it can be nailed down through it's face to keep it secure.It has no place in a boat.

Here's a picture of a cross section of two layers of 3/4"marine plywood glued together with epoxy.The faint black dashes in the line in the middle is to show the glue line.You can see that there are no voids,and that there are more plies.(8 in each)This was from my transom replacement on my restoration.

IMG_1030.jpg

Ever think of trying Star board? It is really expensive but will never rot.

By the time you buy quality plywood, resin, paint or another type finish. Starboard or the like, won't look quite that expensive of an alternative. No rot no muss, cut it, fit it and be done.

SinDale I'm with you I think the last thing I would put on it is carpet.I haven't used it on a boat but I would go with frp Fiber reinforced plastic.It comes in 4x8 sheets.It's easy to work with it can be cut with a plywood blade in a circular saw just put the blade in backwards.It dose not hold moisture like carpet,and your hooks don't get stuck in it.You can get frp at Lowes or home depot.I Have only seen it there in white and yellow.If you go to Henrietta Building Supply you can order other colors.If it were me while at (HBS)I would get 1 5eights galvinized metal studs and track to reframe it,as long as it is not in contact with alum.or other metal that it could react with.Yes over a long time it may leave rust stains but it will hold up a lot better than wood,much liter than wood easy to conform to curves.You can get it in heavier gauges 18 Gauge is real nice to work with.I built a casting platform in my freinds boat and it and turned out nice and has held up great,and was much liter than using wood.For the sheeting I wood use exterior plywood the frp will keep it dry.Leave your plywood up 1/4 " to keep it out of the water the frp will cover the voids.This is just my thoughts I am sure there will be some - feed back but I have done a few boat projects and have had good results.Good luck.

guys, thank you. Fibreglass boat, yes. Sounds like metal framing, plastic outer, marine grade non big box plywood/carpet interior and Im good. All stainless hardware and keeping the old to pattern.

I'll share what I build, and value any other suggestions/ideas.

Hi !

I've replace some floors and transoms on boats and always used exterior plywood . But I always coat all sides and edges with 2 coats of resin . (Wal-Wart sells resin by the quart pretty cheap ) How long did the carpet and wood last the first time?

Chances are if you coat all the wood with resin it will outlast what the factory did . You could also try some truck liquid bedliner on the outside if you don't want to carpet that part.You can even paint the liquid liner to match the boats interior .

Pep Boys sells it by the quart. . Just another $.02

Good Luck !!!!

JT