300' copper what is the best way to use this setup

I just got this and only this one it is 300' of 30# copper would the best presentation be down the shoot or on planer? When should i start using this? What is the best lure for this j plug' flasher fly, meat, spoon? Thanks for the help

I like copper off the boards as it keeps it out of the way of the rest of my spread and playing and netting fish.

If you want to run the whole 300 ft you start running it when you got fish 40 -60 deep.

Any lure that is taking fish can be run off the copper.

Glen

I agree off the boards... I am going to assume its backed with braided line so what I do is tie in about a 10' section of 40lb mono (6 wrap albright on the mono to copper and a 16 wrap albright on the braid to mono) now attache a scotty power grip clip to the mono and run it about 3 ft from the board. if your shallow make sure you keep the board to your out side on the turns.. if you are deeper than 100' you can turn to the inside with 300' depending on speen and how fast you turn... good luck

I run all my coppers off of boards. I still run a high copper for out of temp kings. Lots of days guys are fishing deep in temp or below and the 300' copper is singing in 70 degree water (especially late August). Like Nick, I splice in 6' of 50lb. mono between the copper and the backing.

Gambler; I have borrowed a friends copper rig in the past while fishing lake Ontario, and he had a 100 feet section of mono in front of the braid.. What is the advantage to a 6 foot leader of mono. Or is it just a way to get more feet of backing, or just a preference?

really no advantage of 6' to 100' of mono between the braid.. I just set up a 400' and I put in 150' on this one in case I ever want to get deeper than the 80-90 range I can with a snap weight on the mono in front of the copper... other than that no real advantage.

The little bit of mons between the copper and the backing is where you hook the board. Its easier to check for nicks and wear where the board clips on. Just cut out the bad spot and retie, hoping a king dosent hit while your are retieing :lol: