Lowrance HDS-5 combo??

I've been asking for some input on the Humminbird 788ci combo, and I'm hearing some mixed opinions. How about the Lowrance HDS-5 combo? It's in the same price range, but seems to offer some more options. I'm also hearing the downsides with the Lowrance, mainly being poor service if anything goes wrong with it.

Anyone here use either one of these units, or know someone who does? Pros, cons?

Any help would be great, looking to get a unit mounted on the boat before spring!

I have the hds5 and think it is very user friendly and works good. the only thing if to do over again would be get the combo like you want. I have just the ff hds5 and inorder update need to send in to factory vs sms card.

FF works great no complaints at all.

Question about the HD lowrance I was using one of my fishing partners and the only thing I didn't like or didn't have time to mess with was a quick icon marker. I like to mark my spot if I catch a fish and swing back thru. Does this graph have that feature? I am guessing yes its just that it didn't stand out to where my current graph a hit 1 button and spot saved. I don't like to have to scroll thru menu after menu looking for it. I know you can customize your screens but I looked with no luck. Any input ?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the HDS 5 combo with the lakes chip, and am very happy with it's performance. You can mark fish, and find/go to them easy enough. The only thing I wish though was that I had the money to buy the HDS 8, it's got all the same features but instead of scrolling to find/change things, theres a button for each option at the bottom, also the big screen is really nice when you split the screen.