fort niagara

Only the boat ramps at the Fort are closed.

You can still drive into the fort.

Wilson is open. The ice is soft and some water on top.

But you can drive there also.

Check the video of Wilson Harbor today.

State employees sometimes feel that their park is their personal "fiefdom" and will do things to upset the public. The reality is we have to live within the "revenue stream" or the paychecks will bounce. The public still owns the park today and any employee who wrongly deprives the public use of their facility should be the first to be let go, seniority or not.

HB,

Your e-mail to the DEC is going to the wrong office/department if your referring to the Fort Niagara and/or Tuscarora State Park boat launches.

These launches are owned by the NYS OPRHP (Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation). NYS DEC only has control of their own department fishing access sites and boat launches.

You need to redirect your e-mail to OPRHP, local state rep., town and county officials to get any action or complain.

I doubt the DEC will take over control of the launches as they have their own budget cuts to deal with and they are being asked to shift monies from the EPF to other areas (Offices & Departments).

Thank you for admitting that. Does it have to be that way? Do you guys have ANY say? I know if it wasn't for the efforts of some hardcore dedicated sportsmen over there, 0 salmon would be stocked in Ontario province. I know the true loyalty of the OMNR in the GREAT Lakes is with commercial fishermen, and restoring native species for them to net. Keep a close eye on this. We are up against it here too, sometimes it seems as if NY is sorry the Salmon program is so popular and successful. Every chance they get, we are deluged with doom and gloom. In my opinion, they are trying to "wean" the angling public and businesses off of Pacific Salmon. Forums such as this one are great tools in getting people educated, and aware. We will fight to the bitter end, please do the same.

jimski2 you are totally right!!! about the park employees my bet is that they closed the launch just to piss us off and stuff then when the dec and stuff got emailed, they where forced to reopen. I know that during this rabbit hunting season i got yelled at in Tuscarora for hunting in there by the parks ppl even though hunting is totally allowed which is why they stock pheasents in it.