mechanics look here!!~

i have a 50 hp. four stroke Yamaha, there is an alarm that goes off at low idle speed(trolling) the only way to remove the beep is to shut it off and restart. called marina and they said it could be the thermostat or a sensor. my question is how hard is it to change these and where are they at!! if it is not a big deal i'll do it myself and save the shop charges. thank-you in advance and GOD bless rollie

I have an alarm for low voltage like that. Make sure your battery is good and check all your connections. My motor runs fine without a battery but will sound the alarm. Low RPM probably puts out lower voltage from your generator.

Not a professional but that's where I would start.

Unless you want to guess at the problem & take a chance of possibly ruining a perfectly good & expensive piece of equipment. I would have it looked at by an experienced mechanic or dealer. There are considerably more variables to a 4 stroke than a conventional 2 stroke engine.

I agree with L&M, these new motors are just as complicated as a car. Just like a car, that one alarm probably denotes dozens of warnings. You could spend the next few months trying to figure out what is wrong or take it the shop and get it figured out in a few hours. I would venture a guess and say that it would be more likely that it's the oil presure that is setting off the warning. If you shut the motor down and imediately restarted the voltage should be faily constant, or drop if you have electric start. Same with the temp, a short shut down won't cool the motor to fast, acutally it should increase. Although, oil presure can change durring running and shut down.

What year is your motor? Thermostats can go bad, and will, doesnt matter if its brand new or 5 years old..Just my two cents for what its worth. You could even remove the stat and see if she still sounds the alarm. Or you could look into checking the voltage input and outputs of your sensors. If you have a service manual, it might give you these specifications.

But again, dont go guessing parts like they have stated earlier, you can cost yourself more in the end..