Chautauqua Cottage Rentals - and suggestions?

I figured I would ask the group on this forum that spends the most time on Chautauqua. My family is looking to take a 1 week vacation down to Chautauqua, but I currently do not have leads to a cottage rental. We will have 7-8 people. We are looking for a single cottage that we can all stay in that is on the lake with a dock.

In the past, we have stayed on the south end, but would like to get a little more north so we can get to our musky holes a little quicker ;)

Has anyone stayed at a place or know someone that is renting? Any help to find us our vacation spot would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Joe

we stayed in magnolia bay last year and went through a real estate company (http://www.richardlakefront.com/listings.php) - he has a bunch of rentals.

you might also try vrbo.com as you can often dicker with the owners a little bit better than a broker.

one thought- if its going to be 2 families staying together, you might consider getting 2 houses next to each other, which might be less $$ than one big house and can be better for the sanity ;) . both ours and the house right next door were rented throguh the same company, so you might give some of the brokers a call and see if they still have some next door available the same week.

John, I used to like you! J/k :lol:

I have known a few friends that had bad luck at those cottages.

I made Blueye take a ride with me today and we looked at a bunch of cottages. There are some really nice cottages to rent all over the lake, but they take a lot of time to find. It also does not help to visit the Happy Hooker Bait shop and get into some awesome conversations with Brian and other customers...and then realize that 2 hours have passed! oops.

I really cannot wait for the spring/summer fishing season to open up so I can try some of these winter purchases.

Also, thanks to everyone that posted suggestions. I appreciate all the help. I have not rented a place yet, so if you have any suggestions, please pass them along.

--Joe

Nalod:

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I've only stayed there a handful of times, but

we had no issue.....

(I'm not affiliated in any way :) ))

John

When we were looking at renting our first cottage at Chautauqua I looked at We Wan Chu. They have alot of silly rules and will fine you if you break them. I am not affiliated with IrwinBay cottages but we stay there exclusively as Julie is very accomodating. Including allowing us to check in early, check out late etc..

Last may there was a 1 day gap between our last day and the next rentals 1st. She let us stay in the cottage until we felt like heading home..very nice. Her docks are in good shape and if you just want to catch crappie you can usually limit out in a few hours there.

Actually...dont stay there...then there will be more open days for me to choose from! :P

Chautauqua Hieghts Campround on the hill above Dewittville,NY,over looking Chautauqua Lake view.They have large cottages for rent,great swimming pool,little store,play grounds etc..Midway Amusement Park is close by and so is Long Point State Park,Marina & Boat Launch.

http://www.chautauquahgts.com/

Capt. Larry D. Jones

www.mostlymuskies.com

Thanks everyone for their posts. I ended up renting a cottage from an individual on the south end. They are about 2 blocks from Smith Boys Marina (1 block away from the Happy Hooker). I wanted a place a little more north, but this place was perfect for the whole family.

I am excited to give casting the south end a try...something I have never attempted. Also, I now need to decide the best approach to get to the north end to do some trolling. It looks like the nearest public launch is in Celeron (more south), so I might just give in and boat to my spots this year instead of putting the boat in and out. It is exciting to know that the season is near :yes:

Give me a heads up if anyone else is planning to be at Chautauqua the last week of July!

Thanks again,

--Joe

Joe, The trolling on the South Basin,in the middle in 11 ft of water lining up the White Wall and Smith Boys(written on the roof) can be very good in July.Firetiger 5 1/2" Jtd Wiley's 30 ft back at 4.5 mph. Look for jumping bait fish as you troll through,then keep pounding the bait fish pods. Then casting Suicks in all Black color between the Lakewood Bar & Derby Bar down the slot can get a 50"er in July as well!

You could take a Charter with Me or Guide Mike Sperry for one day if you need to learn the spots in the South Basin,will put you on the good spots without taking long hours to learn them on your own,more time catching fish!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

www.mostlymuskies.com